We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Designing A Living Room With Tall Walls

22 June 2011

Designing A Living Room With Tall Walls
submitted by Live Beautifully


I recently gave you a little sneak peek of this project and am now ready to show you the living portion of it. As you can see in the before image above, the space was basically a blank canvas. My clients didn't know where to start in the space and in turn the space became a resting place for unmatched furniture and no commitments on the walls. Here is the space today after I got my hands on it...



Not only was the furniture mismatched before, the scale was wrong for the height of the room. We placed a large distressed cabinet on the largest wall to fill in the huge void that was there before. Not only is it proportional to the space, it also provides storage for books and family photos. I flanked the sides of the cabinet with vintage garden prints that I found at a gallery in Manhattan and had custom framed. The historic green is echoed in the silk sofa pillows.



In the before image, you can see another angle and a little more of the space.
We added plenty of seating, that is not only proportional to the space but really comfortable as well. My clients actually sit in this room now. You catch a glimpse of the dining room in the below image. We did that space along with the living but the lanterns over the dining table weren't hung yet and there were a few final touches yet to be installed.




We used an inexpensive seagrass underfoot and layered it with a zebra pattern dyed cow hide. This creates interest and a bold graphic for the room...plus, the hide is super soft under bare feet. This is one of my favorite flooring treatments.




In the before image below, you can see how grand the scale of the room is. The ceilings are really tall and so is the window. This calls for custom drapery treatments to achieve the appropriate height.

 


I took the drapery panels almost to the ceiling which is dramatic and softens the hard lines of the wall and the plantation shutters.




Another image of the comfy new chairs and the vintage garden prints in the background.

...and a few images for you looky-loos that like the details like I do.



A detail of the cremone lock on the distressed cabinet. Love.


Nailheads and tufting. Love, love.


 



I simply adore these mercury glass mushrooms I placed under a cloche. I've previously talked about using mercury glass here.



The accessories on the cocktail table. I found this sweet little shadow box and filled it with faux mossy rocks and some shells from one of the family's beach vacations.




I hope you've enjoyed a peek into my client's home and one of my projects.


A very big thank you to the Jacksons. You are lovely, gracious and a joy to work with. I can't wait to work on the next space we've got lined up :-)

24 comments:

MariaS June 22, 2011 at 7:25 AM  

Phenomenal project! Absolutely gorgeous transformation! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brooke Reviews June 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

This looks fantastic, you really utilized the space well! Love the window and tall cabinet and the chairs and the rugs...I like it all. :D

Vintage Restyled June 22, 2011 at 7:30 AM  

That is an amazing makeover! I love the drapes, the furniture is to die for.
I am speechless.

Meredith June 22, 2011 at 8:25 AM  

What a gorgeous transformation! The height of the living room was a huge downside before, but now I bet it's one of the clients' favorite things about their home.

Maria@Live Beautifully June 22, 2011 at 11:58 AM  

Thank you all so much for your compliments!! I am so flattered to be featured on Remodelaholic and humbled by your support! Thank you!!!

Trying . . . in Pittsburgh June 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM  

This room is beyond amazing. I thought the "after" was actually a picture from a magazine, and that perhaps you were showing us your inspiration before we saw the real thing. You have taken a very difficult space and made it simply wonderful.

Jenny June 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

What a stunning room! Love all of the elements and how they work together. Especially in such a challenging space - so striking and elegant.

sandy June 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM  

I would love to know where to find chairs like that! The room is beautiful - good job!

Michele June 23, 2011 at 5:22 AM  

Wow!! The room looks gorgeous. What an awesome transformation. Fantastic job. Love it.

Anonymous,  June 24, 2011 at 6:34 AM  

That room transformation is STUNNING!!! What am awesome job! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the drapes!! Can you come to my house and redo my rooms?!?! :-)

Terry June 24, 2011 at 6:45 AM  

My next project is the living room and the layout of this room is pretty similiar to mine...I've found my inspiration, thank you for sharing this!

Tanya Anurag June 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM  

Excellent work done! Your clients must be really happy after seeing the transformation. Thanks for sharing the close-up picture of the cabinet lock... it is indeed very beautiful.

Stephanie July 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM  

Stunning is all I can say. So well put together and such great use of proportional scale. You really made this cold odd room welcoming. Love it!

Sheila September 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM  

Love this room!! I would really like to see the finished dining area. Do you have photos of that room as well? Stunned beyond words at the transformation!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP