We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Kitchen Remodel on a Budget

04 May 2011

Kitchen Remodel on a Budget! by Ashley

Hey all! Ashley from the D*I*WI*ves Club here. Flippin' honored to be writing over here at Remodelaholic!
Over at the D*I*WI*ves Club we try to do all things DIY and thrifty to the max! I try to do everything on the cheap without it looking like it's on the cheap. Which can sometimes be easier said than done. I scour thrift stores thanks to my mom's thriftiness, which I of course hated growing up and now love the knowledge she passed down to me. I love the before and after process of my home, and an ongoing project with my home (of just over a year) has been the kitchen. A long long ongoing project. BUT it's DONE!

These are the AWFUL before pictures. It was seriously a tiny 1980's barflicious kitchen:(there's the hubs, showing off how handy he is)

Trying to make it pretty and FAILING

(excuse the filth, this was taken RIGHT after I had my baby and nothing was ever clean then)


And NOW!





For the sake of your time I will limit my favorite things to the top 5 most awesome DI WIves kitchen idea's 6 months in the making.

1.) The beadboard cupboards. I figure I saved about 500% by using wallpaper instead of actual beadboard, plus it was WAY less cutting with a saw. I just used a rotary cutter and self-healing mat for sewing.

2.) The Island. I seriously have harsh feelings towards the person who designed the kitchen. Why would you put a dishwasher in the place where you stand to do the dishes? We had to put them all on the counter and take a step back and then load. It was so silly. The Island not only opens up my kitchen, but allows the dishwasher to be next to the sink, instead of in front of. Silly contractors, you're letting a mid-twenty year old outsmart your abilities.

3.) Moving the fridge. I love the extra counter space, extra cabinets and my new fridge.

4.) My Backsplash. It's a stencil, and although a tile backsplash is ideal, it was not in the budget for now. Once again, saved about 500%.

5.) And lastly my counters. I went FOUR months without counters! I had plywood. Classy, right? But worth the wait. My counters are granite which allowed me to use my free undermont sink (four years old, but never been used. Oh to have connections!)

And that's about it. I am so proud of all my hard work. I love being in my kitchen now, even if it's just to clean it!

14 comments:

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement May 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

It looks amazing! I love the beadboard and love the new counters! You really did a beautiful job!

Pam

Marci May 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM  

Great Job on the kitchen remodel. It definately doesn't look like it was done cheaply. That is harder than it seems I am finding out.

www.timberandlace.blogspot.com

Sydney Steenland May 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM  

You should be proud, amazing transformation! If you have a nice kitchen you don't mind cleaning.
I had blue board temp. on the floor in my kitchen can you imagine the stains on it!
Sarah

Laura Lynn May 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

Love it, and the painted back splash! I actually wanted arabesque tiles too but they are so expensive and then I found some at the Habitat re-store but there were not enough - uhg!
Nicely done!

Ashley Poulsen May 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM  

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments! I love my kitchen so much and I'm glad you guys like it too!

Anonymous,  May 5, 2011 at 5:46 AM  

I've just used that stencil to make a headboard and I plan to paint my cabinets white soon -- seeing this just makes me feel so happy! What a beautiful kitchen you've created!

Carrie May 9, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

Fantastic! But I have to ask...

I know that stove hoods are super ugly... but do you miss having one? I don't use mine often (usually just the light), but isn't it unsafe to not have one? Granted, ours just shoots whatever it is back into the kitchen, not out of the house...

But I really like how it looks with no hood and with those cabinet doors off right above the stove. Very simple, but effective change.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP