We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Trumeau Floor Mirror Tutorial

02 May 2011


DIY Trumeau Floor Mirror Tutorial by Mimi


Hey there, I’m Mimi from blue roof cabin and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to guest post today!  Over at my blog I write about my passion for all things DIY.  Whether its building things from scratch, re purposing salvaged materials, or sewing slipcovers.  I love it all! 



The project I am sharing today is a DIY Trumeau mirror. 

To build the "frame" I started by cutting a piece of plywood to the size I wanted. I used a skill saw to make the cuts but you could always have it cut to size at a Lumber yard before you bring it home. For the top and bottom I used some molding I had lying around from previous projects. 



To hold the mirror in place I purchased molding that has a notch in it.    I laid the mirror on the plywood and started playing around with different trim. Two hours later I was still playing with it.  I finally had to tell myself just start cutting women or you will never get done!  It went pretty quick after that.  I used glue and my handy dandy nail gun to attach the trim being extra careful with the trim around the mirror.



The carved piece along the top is something I got a million years ago but never quite figured out what to do with.  The design is grapevine and birds.  Don’t have one of those lying around? That’s okay Home Improvement stores sell all kinds of fancy moldings and scroll details. The possibilities are endless!

For the bottom I used a 1X6 nailed on top of the plywood and 2 different kinds of trim.



For the finish the color I used was Blue Ocean Breeze spray paint by Krylon.  After letting it dry for only about a half an hour (impatient much?) I dry brushed with off white paint and used dark brown glaze to finish.   This color is BRIGHT, the glazing really tones it down.  I used the same color on an end table that is across the room (shown here) and similar blues are in artwork and pillows in the room.



 I love the color against the dark wall. 



Thanks for reading! If you'd like to see more DIY projects come on over to blue roof cabin project gallery I'd love to have you!

Cassity thank you so much for allowing me to share this on your blog! 

16 comments:

Crazy Wonderful May 2, 2011 at 7:12 AM  

Mimi-

I'm so glad I saw this post! I have a mirror from a vanity I've been wanting to add molding to to turn it into a floor mirror like yours. But, I didn't know how I was going to make it work. This solves my problem!!! I didn't even think to look for notched trim! Thank you :D

The details and color you chose are just amazing. Great job!!!

Shelley

Unknown May 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM  

The mirror is great! I love the color. I only wish I could have a mirror like that. Maybe when my two littles get older. :)

Ispirato Design May 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM  

Okay, I'm telling you right now that I have my mirror and I am working on this same type of tutorial! Darn, I shouldn't have taken the weekend off :)Yours is gorgeous and I had not thought of using a plaque the way you did but I love, love, love that and will probably try to find something similar. That's a beautiful finish as well!

Peter George May 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM  

I love this mirror! If we actually had someplace to put a huge mirror like that I would totally be taking advantage of your tutorial :)

Kim May 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Love it! I have two mirrored sliding closet doors that I have taken off and have leaned them against the wall for the same effect. I have been dying to re-frame them like you did. :)

http://thediariesoffabulocity.blogspot.com/

Anonymous,  May 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Still love the mirror, Mimi! You're such an inspiration! Fun to see you featured here, today!

Have a good week!
~Michelle
xo

The enchanted home May 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM  

Love that mirror..a trumeau is such a classic..going to go check out the blog now!

Gretchen May 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM  

Incredible project and tutorial. Lovely. Color and all, it's just perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Gretchen

Liz May 3, 2011 at 6:44 AM  

I am in awe. I've been jealous of my sister for years (good natured jealous) because she managed to score a 3 way mirror from a clothing store going out of business, and it's featured in her sewing room. This would be so nice in my bedroom! I wonder if I can duplicate it with a hollow door? The mirror I have in mind isn't as wide as your's.

flylikeabird May 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM  

This is UNBELIEVABLE! Seriously, so amazing. I would love to make one of these. I'll probably be moving a lot over the next couple of years, so I'm wondering, is the final project heavy? Or is this something that I could transport to other places easily?

becky kelly studio July 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Love love love this!!! Can't wait to try it! So glad I stumbled upon your wonderful site.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP