We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Trellis Mirror

24 May 2011

How to Make a Trellis Mirror by Anne

Hi, there!  I'm Anne from Hello Newman's, and I am so excited to share one of our projects with you today.  I have to say - I was super flattered when Cassity invited me write this guest post! My husband and I love finding projects to work on together - and sharing our ideas with others.
Here's our story about how we turned a plain jane contractors grade bathroom mirror from this...

Into this...

I saw this headboard featured in an online version of Sunset Magazine and thought, hey, maybe we can do that?  Since we had recently started renovating our master bathroom, the leftover mirror was just sitting against a wall in our closet.



Once I get an idea in my head, my husband knows it's pretty much over.  So we got to drawing our "blueprint" right away.  It took a lot of measuring...and sketching, and re-sketching to finally get it to look like we wanted.
  
Once we got the plan on paper, we used a dry erase marker to actually draw it on the mirror.  Why this was a good idea - we had to erase and re-draw it about a thousand times.  Why this was a bad idea - our 14 month old thought it was hilarious to walk around all over the mirror in her socks.

I can honestly say the hardest part of this project was getting the measurements right.  My husband majored in math in college (yes, there are people who actually do that), and we still had to work our numbers over and over again to get things right.


After lots of measuring, drawing, erasing, measuring, drawing, more erasing - we were finally ready to start cutting the wood.  Again, a little tricky because there were a lot of pieces to cut.  We used general purpose pine trim (1/2" x 3/4") that we purchased from Home Depot in really long strips.


Once the cutting was finished, we laid everything out to make sure it fit.  And you better believe we were both pretty relieved when all of the little pieces fit together perfectly in the puzzle we had created.


 We wrote all the sizes on the back of each piece so we would know where they all went and then blasted them with a few coats of white spray paint.


And then attached each piece with a strip of Elmer's Double-sided Permanent Scrapbook tape (we completed this project in December, and the tape has held up wonderfully - we only have had one random piece that falls down from time to time, but other than that - everything has stayed put!)



We finally decided on what kind of frame to add - and attached the 4 pieces with super sticky 3M double sided squares (the kind for mounting pictures or hooks).  They too have worked wonderfully.  

This is probably one of the things we are most proud of in our home.  It was a lot of work - but we have been so pleased with the end result.  I would love to answer any questions that you might have - and I hope you will stop by our blog to say "Helloooooo, Newman" (did you get the Seinfeld reference? haha!)  Since our last name is Newman, my husband thought it was oh-so-fitting for "Hello, Newman's" to be the name of our blog. 

Enjoy the after pictures...





Thanks again, Cassity, for having me today.  It's been an honor.

13 comments:

newcombhome May 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

I love this! It looks amazing. I saw this post a while back and have been saving my leftover bathroom mirror ever since! Thank you for sharing!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} May 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM  

This is the best DIY mirror I think I have ever seen, Miss Anne! I just love it...I'm totally impressed by this ambitious project and how absolutely lovely it looks, I would've never known you did it yourself (c:

Anonymous,  May 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

This mirror is beautiful! I would've never thought that double-sided tape would be able to get the job done!

I do have one question, but it's not related to the mirror. I was just wondering where you got your yellow rug-the one that can be seen in the picture of the tape. I've been looking everywhere for a rug that I like, but haven't had much luck. I love that yellow rug though :)

Anastasia May 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM  

This is one amazing mirror! And well done on your efforts! Definitely does not look like an easy job.... xx

http://decorislikebutter.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP