We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Master Bathroom Remodel to Envy!!

14 April 2011

Master Bathroom Remodel to Envy by Sweet Chaos

I am so excited to be at Remodelaholic today. Thank you, Cassity, for inviting me to be a guest.

Hi. My name is Carolyn, and I am a "remodelaholic." I've been a design enthusiast for most of my life, but I just lived through my first major remodeling project, and I'm hooked! 

Sweet Chaos began this past January as a way to document our master bathroom remodel and to share how I inject some "pretty" into a house full of boys! With 4 young boys and one big dog running around our home, my decor has to be practical and durable, as well as comfortable and pretty. Sweet Chaos is a place to share my adventures in decorating, furniture refinishing, antiquing, and surviving the chaos that is my life :)

Our master bathroom may have been a real showstopper in the late 80s, but it definitely needed a makeover. The wallpaper, white carpet and giant indoor swimming pool bathtub needed to go.


The tub took up so much space, and the water closet/shower area were banished to a small corner of the room.

We had the room completely gutted, the plumbing and electricity moved around, and here is how the room looks today.


I wanted the room to have a classic look with modern amenities that would stand the test of time. The board and batten wainscoting, white subway tile, freestanding tub, chrome fixtures and carrara marble helped to achieve the classic look.

 

This gorgeous glass and ming green marble mosaic tile was my inspiration for the design.



I fell in love with this 6 x 24 porcelain tile. It is durable, practical, unique and really looks like an old painted wood floor. And, even better, the tiles are heated! 




I bought this chandelier before I even hired a contractor. I found it at a local salvage store, and it was love at first sight!



I have always loved the vintage look of a bridge faucet, and these Newport Brass fixtures have so much character.



The open shower definitely adds a modern twist to the room. We installed a rainshower and a spray showerhead on a slidebar. We chose 2 x 2 honed carrara marble tile for the floor and polished carrara for the sills and threshold.



We had custom cabinetry built to maximize storage. The sconces are from Restoration Hardware.

The wall color is Sherwin Williams' Sea Salt.  The plantation shutters were designed so that the top and bottom operate separately.  We can keep the bottom closed for privacy, but still allow natural light in the top.




Can't say too much about the water closet, except that the Toto toilet works like a dream.



The pocket door was a practical solution to a design dilemma, but the frosted glass one that we chose is one of my favorite features.


I just have a few finishing touches before the room will be totally complete. Thank you for taking a tour of the room, and I hope you'll visit me at Sweet Chaos. The drawer hardware is being installed early next week, so come check it out! 

Thanks again, Cassity, for inviting me to be a part of Remodelaholic!

24 comments:

Little Miss Martha April 14, 2011 at 7:14 AM  

Holy Wow! That is amazing and I think I'm in love! Wish I had a space like that! It's beautiful!

Crazy Wonderful April 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

This is a perfect example of timeless beauty :D Everything is so well done! We too have the weird toilet and shower stall in a closet thing. I HATE IT! I'll definitely come back to this for inspiration on our bath remodel :D

Can't wait to check out your blog!

laxsupermom April 14, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

Wow! That is one gorgeous bathroom! I'm so jealous! That looks like the perfect place to unwind. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous,  April 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM  

Oh, it's gorgeous! I'm so jealous I'm gonna go have to eat something now! :)
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

The enchanted home April 14, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

So beautiful!!!! Love it, so tastefully done, from the cabinetry, to the stone, the colors, the lighting, the hardware, every inch is beautiful!! Hope you are enjoying it. Also happy to have discovered this wonderful blog. So two wonderful things here! Please visit me too if you have a minute, have 3 month old blog about the building of our new home and my passion for decor and design.....
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

foreverdecorating April 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM  

This is the ultimate dream bath. I have one too, but yours is so much nicer and larger. Great transformation! Who wouldn't love this!

Unknown April 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

Super nice. Can't wait to see it accessorized. Big project for sure. Wondering what you did with that huge tub....Craigslist probably!:)

Becky April 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM  

Oh my goodness, how gorgeous? You have done such a good job well done. I am so jealous of how big your bathroom is, ours is tiny! xx

rossandconnierockon! April 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM  

Can I just say I am in LOVE! I want to re-do my shower and the wall with the bench is everything I never even thought of! I can ditch the glass door and go with open wall and bench! LOVE IT! Beautiful! - connie

Unknown April 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

Great job! Beautiful color story and the shower is pure perfection!

Tamara, Bella Boho

Mrs. Cherry Heart April 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

It is amazing....so beautiful!
Two thumbs up!

I have a question....
I love the open shower, but doesn't water get every where????

Hugs,
Dolly

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home April 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

Thank you so much for all your nice comments! I truly appreciate hearing from you, so thank you for taking the time to write :)

To answer a couple of your questions... Dolly, the open shower is wonderful! I was worried about water splattering everywhere, but amazingly, it doesn't. It is a large shower, approximately 6x6, so the water stays contained inside the half walls. Occasionally some water has reached the threshold, but that's not a big deal. I LOVE not having to clean glass :)

Lesley, the tub went home with our contractor, and I'm not sure where it ended up. The cabinets were sold on craigslist, but we didn't have time to advertise the tub. I was actually driving in town one day and passed by my tub in the back of the contractor's truck :)

Twisted Sister April 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

Lovely from top to bottom. And the paint color is so soothing. I love the layout - very roomy but no wasted space.

Anonymous,  April 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM  

Sometimes I wonder how I even end up at these websites - and the amount of time I spend reading. I love it when I come across something like this though an excellent job.

Windmill Memories April 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM  

All I can say is wow - it's gorgeous. Would love to have it. The tub placement and old fashioned charm of the room is spot on. Congrats and enjoy and thanks for sharing. Jackie

Jill April 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM  

This is GORGEOUS! I love everything in this bathroom, but have to say the floor tiles are my fav - weird, but true :)

Allison Groten May 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM  

Can you tell me if you like your tub? What make/model/size it is? Slope? Material (acrylic or cast iron? If CI, do you find it loses heat quickly?What length is it? We are doing similar reno with same colors. have used Restoration Hardware silver sage but this looks very similar. Thanks! Looks great.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP