We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Simple Ikea Bed Turned Chic

28 March 2011


Simple Ikea Bed Turned Chic
by Organized Design

Hey guys... I'm Jen from Organized Design. I love to blog about all things interior design and organizing. When I'm not busy doing the mommy thing, I enjoy creating functional finished spaces. My little girly is almost three and was in need of a big girl bed, so I took this bed...
and made it into this bed!
I am so pleased with how this bed turned out I can hardly stand it. I knew I wanted an upholstered bed for her, but wasn't finding anything I loved. They were either too boring, no style, or way out of a very descent price range. I first wanted to make the bed from scratch headboard, side rails, foot board and all, but wasn't mentally prepared for that undertaking. So I decided to take the easy way out and use a bed from Ikea. I started out by purchasing some particle board and cutting it down to the size of the headboard.


Then I decided on the shape of the headboard. From the middle I measured 7 inches across and 5 inches down.
I then attached wood pieces with wood glue around the back of the board. This is to help it be more study with added thickness. I really suggest doing this if you're going to make one, because the thickness also makes it look like I bought it from a store. 
 
Then glued and staple gunned it to the actual bed and let it sit overnight.
Then came the batting. I had to add extra inside the spaces to make it thicker so it wouldn't sink in.
Then it got a little tricky, because of all the stinking corners I couldn't just easily wrap the batting around with one piece. I had to do a layer of batting per row horizontally, then add a whole layer vertically. A big pain in the rear to get this thing to not look like my three year old did it!
In this picture I'm adding the top layer of the fabric. I have already stapled the horizontal piece, and this that I'm wrapping is the vertical. For the front of the bed I almost used two whole yards. There are so many staples in this bed it could stick to a magnetic wall, no joke!
It sits 4 feet from the ground, and is the perfect height with her mattress and added pillows.
The only thing I did to the rails were pad them and upholster them.
This is the occupant of the bed who LOVES it!
Here's the completed look with pillows and a night stand.

With a few thousand staples a little Ikea can go a long way! :)

19 comments:

Ashley Tremaine March 28, 2011 at 7:29 AM  

OMGosh...I am in LOVE with that headboard!! She is super talented!! I especially love the patterned material she used! Gorgeous!

Lesley March 28, 2011 at 7:38 AM  

This is the same bed that my 7 year old girl has and I've been thinking of tossing it and buying her a new bed because it looks so boring.
I am totally doing this in black and pink as a surprise for her! Thanks!♥

Anonymous,  March 28, 2011 at 7:46 AM  

I LOVE this - so bright and happy. It looks so very pretty and professional.

Samantha March 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM  

Wow. You totally transformed a frankly ugly bed into one that is cute and classy.

Erika March 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM  

I bought my two little ones the exact same beds and have been wanting to "improve" them. After reading this I am ready to do it. Awesome, awesome work!

Linda @ theLENNOXX March 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

This is seriously one of my all-time favorite DIYs!! And the styling is just perfect =D

xo Linda

Kat's Purrfect Boutique March 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

Great idea to use a simple form and make it fun. The little girl looks like she loves it.

Jen March 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I'm really pleased with how the bed turned out. Phyllis, I got the night stand at TJ Maxx.

Lakeshore Cottage Living March 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

This is an amazing idea. That is really a great transformation. I may have to give this a try!

Stephanie March 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM  

I love the bed. I always tell people if they want to do an upholstered head board themselves, use a thrift shop headboard as your base. Who wants to re-invent the wheel right? Now I can add Ikea to the list. This turned out beautiful, and the finishing touch of adding the fabric around the bottom is so chic.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP