We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Kitchen Designed With A Clear Vision

04 January 2011

 Kitchen Designed With A Clear Vision
contributed by Honey We're Home

The kitchen often sets the tone for a home and that is no different in our house.  It’s the first place we head to in the morning for our daily coffee, where countless meals are made, and the days’ events discussed.  Where bottles are washed and baby food is pureed.  
When we began designing our home, the only room I had a clear vision for was the kitchen.  After pouring over decor magazines and design blogs for about a year, the images that kept appealing to me over and over had three things in common {white cabinets, white subway tile, and carrera marble counters}.  After living in a townhouse with dark wood kitchen cabinets, black granite counters, and forest green walls, I knew I wanted a kitchen that was light and bright.  We configured the floor plan so that we could have a kitchen window and ended up with two:)  I’m so happy with how our light and bright kitchen turned out.
Come in, come in!  I can’t wait to show you!
image
In an effort to keep the kitchen from being too blindingly white, we went with dark hardwood floors and island, and stainless steel appliances.  The marble is gorgeous, but we do have to be careful with it.  It scratches and stains easily.  I realized early on that I had to “let it go” or I would go insane noticing every tiny flaw.  To keep my sanity, I typically keep two large cutting boards on the island to prepare food and set things on.
The island was also designed with two shelves to hold my cookbooks, a second small sink for food prep (which is actually really handy), and three deep drawers on the far side.  I love these drawers!  The top one houses plastic bags, foil, plastic wrap and measuring cups/spoons.  Second drawer holds Tupperware and the bottom one keeps paper towels.
image 
The far cabinet doors are glass to give the space an open feel.  That is the cabinet I keep our daily dishes like plates and bowls in, so it’s always organized. 
image
This little area to the left of the fridge is command central.  It’s where the coffee is made every morning and where I prepare my oatmeal.  Our coffee mugs and glasses are kept in those cabinets.  The microwave was originally intended to sit at the cabinet height, but that is too tall for this shorty, so we moved it to below.  I will have to safeguard it since we have a little one that will be into everything soon.
image 
image
On the opposite side, is the double oven and range.  It’s nice to have a combination of drawers and doors for storage. 
image
image
If you continue past the oven, you’re into the “mudroom” and the pantry is on the right.  Out the door is my garage.  
Table, shower, media 012
And we opted for one large farmhouse sink.  Love the natural light that the windows provide.
Table, shower, media 018  
We wanted the kitchen to open to the living room, but not completely, so that you still have a little separation.  I like how there is some divide between the rooms.  The pendant lights (one of my absolute faves) are from Lighting Inc. in Houston, Texas.  They really add that bit of drama and are what most people comment on when they come over.  They also look really cool at night.
image
image
If you have any questions about our kitchen, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them for you.  You can see my inspiration kitchens here

9 comments:

Kendra January 4, 2011 at 8:17 AM  

Your kitchen is beautiful Megan! The thought for all that natural light really stands out. I would die for a farmhouse sink, well really for that whole kitchen.

Anonymous,  January 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

This kitchen is a complete dream!! I love it.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Jen T January 4, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

Holy moly - that's beautiful! I love the shot of the kitchen with the curved stairs in the back. Lovely, lovely! JenT

Unknown January 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM  

I have been reading Megan's blog for several months now and actually found her blog by looking for awesome kitchens...I love hers...I would love to just stop by and do some baking with her in that kitchen!

Anonymous,  January 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

How do you like having your microwave built into the cabinets low? It seems to be a growing trend. I'm curious how real people that have their kitchen set up like that feel about it.

You're kitchen is stunning!

Thanks!

Megan // Honey We're Home January 4, 2011 at 11:21 PM  

Marriedmerriment- the microwave was originally slated to go above, where the cabinet is- but I'm short and thought I'd have a hard time reaching it, so down below it went! I like it fine, my husband has to bend down to operate it though. And my baby (10 months) is all over it, trying to push the buttons and such- oh my!!

Shelley Dawn January 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM  

It's beautiful! This is similar to what I have been invisioning for our house. This kitchen will be bookmarked and referenced in the future! I love the coffee area and built in microwave! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP