We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Painting Over Knotty Pine Paneling; Complete Master Bedroom Redo

23 December 2010

Painting Over Knotty Pine Paneling; 
Complete Master Bedroom Redo


When Jeff and I purchased our house we knew that we would eventually want to update our bedroom.  While we love with the size of our room, we weren't as fond of the knotty pine (I know...I know....some people love it...but it wasn't for us).

Here is a good shot of the knotty pine for your enjoyment.


I suggested painting the room to Jeff, but he wasn't sold on the idea. So instead, I tried to brighten up the room with bedding & accessories. That was short lived though, because with our existing bedroom furniture....it just wasn't working.  I was finally able to convince Jeff that the knotty pine would look great painted. 


And then I threw in some additional updates :).

First we started painting. 
We coated the walls with two coats of Kilz.
Two coats would ensure the knots wouldn't bleed through. 
Watch out...this stuff is stinky!


Then we painted over the Kilz with what we thought was a nice light gray color. Turns out that our lighting made it look more blue than gray. 

Here is the blue for you.



 So it was back to the paint store for another version of light gray. 
Here is the final gray we found. 
Perfect! 
It may not look like a big difference in these pics, 
but trust me the difference was huge.


Finally, we pulled up the carpet and put in new Tundra ikea floors....





We decided to keep this little built-in bookshelf as knotty pine. I added a bit of hand-painted artwork to tie-in with the other purchased wall art near the bed. I think it gives the room some character.



We finished off the renovation with some new bedding, nighstands, lamps and wall art. Just to remind you, here is the before....ugh!



And here is the after!







I can't believe we did everything ourselves (with the help of some good friends). This room has become one of my favorite places in the house. It feels so serene and airy now. A great place to tuck into bed on these oh-so-wonderfully-cool fall evenings!

7 comments:

Unknown December 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

This is a stunning transformation. Love the floors, love the lofty feel of the after, love it all!

Laree December 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

I had no idea Ikea sold flooring! Love the change - paint looks so much better!

Keri {One Mama's Daily Drama} December 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Wow! I have the same knotty pine in my bedroom (and hate it) but didn't know painting would work. I was afraid it would take about a million coats. Now I have a project to plan...

Anonymous,  December 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

This is really lovely. I've painted over knotty pine myself. It's a lot of work but worth the effort. Love the bookcase and especially the tree.

Dorothy December 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

What a difference, it looks very serene and beautiful. I know now that if I ever look at a house with wood paneling it can look different with some paint. Thanks for sharing.

Kellie January 22, 2011 at 1:18 AM  

WOW!! LOVE this!! I have so much of this paneling in my house it's sick! Dining room, kitchen and hallway!! ahh!

I love what you've done and keeping the bookshelf actually makes for a nice contrast. I never thought I'd say I liked anything that still looked like the original wood panels, but this is a great touch!

I hope I can muster the courage to paint mine! Looked very time consuming!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP