We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Modern Touches in a Dining Room Reveal; Before and After

08 December 2010

Modern Touches in a Dining Room Reveal; 
Before and After

The dining room is done! And I must say, I'm quite proud of it. If you have ever stopped by our house before, then you know what the old dining room looked like. It was an empty, catch all, mish-mash, big table with no chairs, beige hole and after Dean was born it became the diaper changing station. Gross. I finally got myself in gear and got inspired. And, despite the minimal complaining & eye rolling Michael did throughout the process I know he is proud of the final product too - and REALLY glad it's done. You won't catch us changing any diapers in there from now on. Promise.

Here are some before & afters.

{The before picture. Made even more awful by the iPhone picture quality. Eeek!}
{Ahhhh...the after shot. Updated paint color, Ikat drapes with metallic drapery rod, new light fixture, rug, chairs, mirror & art. Voila!}


{I am pretty obsessed with the work of artist Cy Twombly. His pieces can cost about as much as a car. Soooo, I decided to commission myself to create the perfect piece of art for the dining room using his work as my inspiration. This is one of my favorite pieces.}
{Here I am. Budding artist. I had just purchased my canvas, paint & brushes. Blank, clean & full of ideas. I painted during nap time in my garage.}
{Here I am again. Completely frustrated artist. After 2 weeks of relentless painting and re-painting I have a complete MESS and the worst color blue I've ever seen. Thank goodness my sweet neighbor - who happened to have a degree in art and is a painter herself - saw me in my garage and dropped by to see what the heck I was doing. She was able to get me past my block and fill me full of new ideas. Thanks Caroline!}
{A few weeks and one new frame later...done. Exactly what I had wanted all along. Definitely not a Cy Twombly BUT good enough.}

11 comments:

banclothing December 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

When I was scrolling down your post I saw was instantly thought, 'Wow, I really love the painting in the reflection of the mirror'. At this point in the post I didn't know you had made it yourself!!!!!!!!!! Really, truly, a phenomenal piece of art.

Sanctuary Home December 8, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

Wow...that is an amazing transformation! Great contrast, very dramatic. I also love the draperies!
Your picture is just as beautiful as the original...and you did it with your own two hands.
Susan
http://sanctuaryhomebysusancooke.blogspot.com/

Unknown December 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

What a great painting! What kind of advice did your artistic neighbor give you? I would love to know how to make my own :D

Nette December 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

Wow, wow, wow! Gorge. Great job! I luv the mirror & choice of items & arrangement. Magazine pictorial..seriously.

Anonymous,  December 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM  

This dining room is absolutely breathtaking. My mum and I are sitting here drooling over it. You've done an amazing job and I'm loving that mirror and your painting!
Megs :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP