We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Kitchen Table Refinished With Distressed Look

20 December 2010

Kitchen Table Refinished With Distressed Look
contributed by The Backyard Boutique

I have always loved my kitchen table. Lately, though, I felt like it needed a good facelift. Once again, I failed to take decent before pictures for this project. I scoured my iPhoto and here's the best I came up with. (Lucky for you; you get to see my cute Little Man!):


I decided to change the whole appearance of the table by painting the legs a lovely shade of Heirloom White from Home Depot (my favorite), staining the top a rich Jacobean by Miniwax (also found at Home Depot), distressing the whole thing, glazing it, and then polyurethaning the heck out of it (nine coats, to be exact). Five days and about 28 ant bites later (I worked on it outside, obviously), it's finished and I couldn't be more please with the results.






So, my friends, for the cost of twelve cans of spray paint (the high-end stuff, no less), a can of stain, a can of polyurethane, some sandpaper, and 5 days out of my life (I'm not kidding), I acquired (Or perhaps reacquired...?) myself a new kitchen table. And I wake up in the morning, look at it, and feel like a new person. What a steal!

Nothing like being 9 months pregnant and nesting to get my act in gear! And now on to the next project... Next up on the agenda? I'm just finished re-doing a vintage baby cradle. Come back again tomorrow and it will be posted, complete with (decent) before and after pictures. That is, unless I go into labor... Which, come to think of it, wouldn't be so such a bad idea at this point!

13 comments:

banclothing December 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

What a transformation!!!! I had a similar table to you but round and those exact chairs. I ended up replacing it but now I am kicking myself because I could have had a table just like yours!!!!!

Kindra-At Home With K December 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

And inspiration table and chairs! I need to refinish mine in the spring! Great project!

Annie Louise December 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

Wow!!! Love this transformation, you should be very proud, it looks wonderful :)
Jeanette

Camille Farias December 20, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

Wow. This is fabulous! I love the finish you chose for the tabletop. It compliments the distressed white perfectly.

Unknown December 21, 2010 at 3:05 AM  

This is simply gorgeous. Your table looks completely different and it is now one of a kind. Great job.
Traci

t.erickson December 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Hi There! I am in love with your blog and ideas. I am thinking about redoing my table. Is there step by step instructions on how to do it? I also have never glazed anything, is there any pointers?!?
Thanks,
Tara

Five to Nine December 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

This is in response to Tara's comment above about step-by-step instructions on how to glaze. There are fancy kinds of glaze you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's, but I'm too cheap for that. For my table project I opted just to use stain. I painted the table, distressed it to my liking, and then glazed by wiping a small amount of the stain I used for the table top on the painted part. After applying the stain, quickly take a dry cloth and wipe it off. The trick is to work on small portions at a time, or your finished product will end up streaky and unattractive. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions at fivetoninefurnishings@yahoo.com.

Kate December 31, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!! I have the exact same original table and have been rolling ideas around in my head of WHAT to do with it!! This is perfect!!!! Wow, great job!!!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP