We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Dresser Redo: With Graphic Damask Black and White Print

19 November 2010


Dresser Redo: 
With Graphic Damask Black and White Print



Have you ever been perplexed about how to get a cool design on a piece of fabric, or a picture in a book, or a graphic on your computer onto a wall or a piece of furniture?  Well it’s something that’s plagued me for a while.  I’m decent at freehand painting, but when it comes to symmetrical designs, or repeating designs or getting something really tiny to be huge, I have been stuck, so I started looking around for an opaque projector I could use for that purpose.

I spoke to the lovely people at Artograph, who graciously offered to send me their Super Prism  Art Projector (one of their top-of-the-line models) to use and one to offer our readers for a giveaway!!  Isn’t that SO exciting!  




First, I thought I’d share with you a project I did for my very own bedroom using my new Super Prism Projector.



P1040371
We inherited our dresser when we were first married, 10.5 years ago, from my husbands grandmother.  It was very 70’s looking, with the slanted drawers, boxy shape and yellow wood tone.  When we first got it, I decided it might make it look a little less 70’s and a little more traditional if I added some pulls and knobs. 
P1040379
It helped, but I’ve been yearning to give it more of an update forEVER, but my husband has a thing about painting wood, so being the loving, dutiful wife that I am, I conceded the issue for years.  Finally I could take it no longer, so I did what any loving, dutiful wife would do.  I waited until he was at work, and whipped out the paint!  :)  Surprise!  He was only momentarily disappointed that the wood was no longer, because he loved the way it turned out (as I knew he would.)
P1040392
P1040393
P1040394
Now it matches my Roadkill Rescue Headboard I redid years ago!  Yay!  (You can see it in the mirror.  By the way, this is probably the first time in at least 3 years that my bed has been somewhat made, just to keep it real.)
P1040396
P1040395
Here’s a better look at the headboard and duvet cover.

So let me show you how I accomplished this using my new projector!
I wanted to use the damask from the duvet cover as the design on the dresser, but the pattern was a little too large to fit on the copy area of the projector.  (It has a 7” x 7” copy area.)  So I found a picture of the duvet cover online (they sell the Havana pattern at Target still) and printed it on a smaller scale that would fit on the copy area.
P1040383
The projector was simple and easy to use, right out of the box.  I just placed my image on the copy area, shut the lid, turned it on, adjusted the distance between the projector and the dresser until the image was the size I wanted, then turned the end of the lens to focus it.  Maybe a minute, and we were in business!
P1040386
I traced around the image with a pencil.
P1040387
Then flipped the image upside down and traced on the other side. 
P1040388
(I wish I could take credit for idea of this awesome design, but it was inspired by this damask wall art that Brooke did at All Things Thrifty back in April.  It’s been swirling around in my head ever since and I was SO excited to finally see it to fruition.)
So then, the painting began.  I’m not going to lie to you and tell you this was a quick process, but I think the end product was TOTALLY worth the time and effort.  Here it is after 1 hour of painting:
P1040390
2 hours, and we’re half-way done:
P1040391
I want to say it took about 5 hours to complete all the black painting with touch-ups and everything.  I just put on some tunes and painted away.  Not difficult work, just a little tedious.  Luckily, my husband was home yesterday when I was working on this part, so my kids were not completely neglected.  ;)
I really could not be happier with how it turned out, and am totally stoked to have everything in there looking like it goes together.  It was only 10.5 years in the making.  Good things come to those who wait.  :)
P1040392

13 comments:

Kelly November 19, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

That definitely doesn't look like a re-done piece....it looks like a super-expensive dresser from a high-end store. Unbelievable! I'm so impressed!

Kendra November 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

That turned out great! I even had to scroll back up to do a double take, it really emphasizes the slant of the drawers.

Laurel November 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Youre giving one away?? How awesome! did I miss this giveaway? I hope not! I love it and have tons of stuff I would use this bad boy for! :) Love your dresser!

gina November 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

That is so neat!! My daughter would absolutely love it.....her bedspread looks very similar and I could see her doing this if we were to win! Can't wait to show her the dresser.

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} November 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

I absolutely adore this print (and have a doona cover pretty much identical!) and it looks so affective painted on those drawers. Real wow factor :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP