We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Updated 1960's House With New Portico

25 October 2010

Updated 1960's House With New Portico
contributed by Amy @ Playing Sublimely



Isn't she a beauty, in all her 1960's contemporary glory! She had not been touched since her owners built her 5 decades ago. There was a lot of shag, a lot of wallpaper, and a lot of popcorn ceilings. She had great bones though, and my cute carpenter husband knew he could make her into something great.

The original owners had passed away and their children were selling the home. It had been on the market for a long time without much interest. So we offered low and they accepted the offer that night. We sat in shock at the fact that we had just signed our names on the dotted line for such an undertaking. And make no mistake, there would be no fixing it up while we stayed in the comfort of our just completed adorable ranch home that we remodeled. We would have to live in this renovation, there was no other financial way around it. We put our house on the market, sold it in one day, and we were off.

It has been a long couple of years. It has been hard living in a house that is constantly under construction, when you have small children running about. We learned so much through this process, we learned ways to remodel cheaper than anyone ever thought was possible. My husband researched everything we bought for this house, finding the cheapest deal possible. So many things we bought were off the Internet...including our front doors that he bought off ebay for a quarter of the price anyone would normally have paid for such doors. We learned how much money you can save while doing it yourself, and we learned what things are not at all worth doing yourself. We did things that I cannot believe we were able to pull off. I speak mainly of my husband....there were times we both sat back and thought things like "I can't believe I just took down that load bearing wall, I hope I figure out how to put the new one back up". He always figured it out. He may have burned up the phone lines to my Dad that is a real contractor, but nonetheless he figured it out. God has given him a great gift, he has the mind of an engineer, a gift that I was certainly not granted. Here is what she looks like today...


My husband's creation, his pride and joy, the portico...
Only time will tell, but I hope this is the house we live in forever. I want my children to grow up here, and I want to remember the steps we took over these last several years so that I can remember why we will never do it again. So for the next few weeks I am going to type it out. Every room in our house has been gutted and I want to walk through and hit the highlights...or the low lights...whichever way you look at it. I hope to see you again.

3 comments:

Kendra October 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

I can't believe the transformation! (and a little secret about those lights you can get them in-stock at Lowe's for $35, I know because I got them for my home ;) Great Job!!

Anonymous,  October 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

The whole experience sounds like fun. I am encouraged that you are still married. You must have a very strong marriage.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP