We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Kids Changing Table Repurposed: Playing Cars

02 October 2010

I thought that this party link form last week was such a fun way to fuel the imagination of your kids!  Check out what Helping Little Hands did to this old changing table!


My Boy is loving his new dresser!

This dresser started it's life (with our family) when I found it peaking out of the trash area at our student housing complex in California.  I knew if I left it there until Hubby came home to help move it, someone else would claim it, so I moved it by myself across the street and into our apartment.  Since that time we used it for toy storage.  (Here are the best "before" pictures I could come up with.)

When we moved into our current home, though, Boy got his own room.  That means it doesn't work for him to share a dresser with Firecracker anymore, and he needed his own.


The drawers were starting to fall out occassionally because the sides were splitting apart a bit.  It's just laminated particle board, so the whole thing needed to be taken apart and put back together and reinforced with glue.  I figured as long as (my Mom always said those were dangerous words) I was taking the whole thing apart, I might as well paint some roads on it for him.  He's had a love affair with matchbox cars since the first time he held one.

...And while roads are popular at our house, parking lots are even more beloved...

...So we have two layers of parking goodness.
Here's a quick rundown of what I did.

I made the roads approximately the same width as the fabric roads I made a while ago.  I measured it with my quilting ruler (they come in handy for a lot of things.)  One thing I would do differently next time would be to mark and measure all the roads BEFORE taking it apart.  I did it after.  After measuring it, I marked it all with blue painters tape and sanded it with a small electric sander.
Then I put on a coat of primer.  (It probably would have been better to use dark primer, but white was what I had.)
After the primer dried, I put on two coats of black acrylic craft paint.  I let that dry really well and peeled off the tape.  Then I used the painters' tape to mark off the yellow road lines. 
I went over that with two coats yellow acrylic craft paint (or white for the parking lots).  The yellow paint seaped under the tape a bit, so at the end I had to touch up those areas with more black paint using a really tiny brush.

The kids were so anxious to play with it, this is what it looked like by the time I was done nailing the backing on.
The handles took about 3 coats of paint because the color underneath was so dark.  Then I painted "Stop" and "Yield" on them, and were the last thing to be added.
Drive on...

Such a fun idea!  Don't you think?

5 comments:

BrushedByAnAngel October 3, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

I think this is a very creative idea. I love seeing what others do with a piece of furniture that is no longer needed for its original purpose. Such talent.

laxsupermom October 3, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

I love this furniture redo! It's so imaginative and adorable. I wish I had seen this back when my 14yo was a wee one with a "things that go" room. Or that my 5yo hadn't picked extreme sports as a theme for his room so I could copy this great idea.

crowemom544 April 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

Here's a tip for painting lines.
To keep the paint from bleeding under the tape, use a gel medium. Place the tape where you want it, then paint a layer of gel medium around the edges to seal it. Let dry and then get to painting. I use Liquitex Artist Acrylic gel medium in gloss, but they have a mat as well. I found it at Hobby Lobby with the more expensive artist paints. I got this tip from watching one of the HGTV shows.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP