We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Chevron Rug Tutorial

13 October 2010

DIY Chevron Rug Tutorial

If you read my post yesterday, you saw my awesome upcycled area rug!  It was so easy, and so worth the time to reinvent it!  I hated that rug a week ago, and now I love it!


Even though the rug was hideously bland, it did have a couple of things going for it:  it was big (8' x 10') and it had a really flat loop (like a fake sisal rug).  The flat loop made it possible to use paint instead of dye for the stripes.

Here's what I did:

1.  Measure.  I knew that I wanted three zig zags stretching across the rug, so I measured out the spacing of the peaks, and drew three chalk lines across the rug to make sure the peaks were perfectly spaced.

2.  Tape out the first peaks.  To get the first peak, I used my 450 triangle (from my drafting kit - leftover from engineer days! haha!)  If you don't have the triangle, just measure it out.  For tape, I used 2 strips of the 2" green painters tape, and overlapped it just a little bit.


3.  Continue taping.  To keep the spacing perfect without measuring every single time, I made myself a little "jig" by overlapping two short pieces of tape.  I used the jig to make sure that the spaces were the same width as the stripes.









4.  Still taping... Taping takes forever, but it's kind of fun seeing the pattern emerge.









5.  Meanwhile... this is what Beckett was doing while I was taping forever!









6.  Paint.  Finally it is time to paint!  I used Benjamin Moore latex floor paint in black.  It took most of a gallon.  I did one coat, let it dry overnight, and then did the second coat the next day.


7.  Remove tape.  Voila, you are done!  I let it dry for a full day before we started walking on it.



You might also like:

7 comments:

Mel P October 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

Yes! I've been wanting a black and white chevron rug, but didn't want to pay a hefty price tag. This idea is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie April 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

I just found this post after a google search. I have been wanting to do this for a rug in our office. I just love it! Thanks for the great tutorial! I saw the question above but didn't see the answer...did you use a brush or roller to paint the pattern? Thanks again!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP