We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Anthropology Inspired Dresser Redo

11 October 2010



I love this party link!  I think it is especially genius because if you have a piece that you don't want to totally refinish, you might just be able to amp it up with a stencil.  but so you know,  Kate from Twenty-Six to Life who created this piece did sand and stain the dresser, and I love the way it turned out, check out her post:


When I saw this dresser (forever ago), I knew Anthropologie was just daring someone to DIY something similar. So of course I did tried.





I found this dresser on craigslist for just $15. While it's not a match for shape, I decided I liked it anyway. Besides, for $15 the price was right considering I have no idea where it will actually go.


For those of you who just scroll to the after, here it is!


I will be the first to admit that it didn't turn out quite like I had anticipated.  It looks very different from my "inspiration piece" and that's largely due to the fact that I used what I already had.  I wasn't really willing to go buy a lighter stain, or black paint, or create or buy different stencils.  I had the dark stain, white paint, and hammer spray paint for the knobs already.  So I used them.  I hope none of you mind the differences, but if you do, here's a 
consolation prize.

And for those of you that like a little tutorial, here's what I did:

1. Of course, like with anything, I sanded. And sanded and sanded and sanded. I hate sanding, but it's a necessary evil. It got rid of that awful orangey hue.




2. Stain. This time I only used one coat. This was were the changes from the anthropologie dresser started. Originally, I meant to get a lighter stain so I could do black numbers, but when the time came I was feeling lazy and cheap wasn't thinking and used a dark stain. C'est la vie. I just switched it up and went with white numbers.

3. Spray. The formerly brassy knobs got new life with hammer black spray paint.  It's the same stuff I used on those 
white dressers I did before.


4. Upgrade. The drawer bottoms were a mess so I ditched the old ones and had new ones cut at Home Depot. I also added the wheels to the legs, I think they add even more character.

5. Stencil. I used cheapo stencils centered on each drawer and filled them in with white paint I already had.

In the end, this before and after cost less than $25. $15 for the dresser, $7 for new drawer bottoms from Home Depot, $1.50 for the stencils, $0.50 for a foam brush.

I know it's not perfect. My OCD is kicking in looking at these photos and that "3", but I guess it's all part of the learning process. Maybe in the future I'll rough it up a little and it'll become less noticeable. For $25, I'm going to try to enjoy my new piece of furniture and try not to stress about any imperfections.



I think imperfections can add to the piece.  
Also who could beat $25.00 
for a whole new dresser!
Great Job!

5 comments:

michelle October 11, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

I really love how the dresser turned out! You did awesome with the things that you had. I actually like it better than the original one! :)

megan {homemade ginger} November 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

I think it's adorable! I just posted about an Anthropolgie inspired shirt. http://homemadeginger.blogspot.com/2010/10/anthropologie-inspired-tee.html

Anonymous,  November 10, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

I love this, I just bought two dressers from Ikea for my sons room... for new dressers @ $29 I couldnt pass them up. I was shopping criagslist faithfully but everything I saw that I liked on craigsist was always gone by the time I got to it :-( . But I was itching for something to do in his room! So now I have the dressers and thanks to your tutorial I know what to do with them.. ill be subscribing! Thanx!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP