We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Silver Painted Pumpkins, Halloween Decor Ideas

09 September 2010

Over at Nice Girl Notes she made some beautiful silver painted pumpkins, that I absolutely had to share because who doesn't love fall and Halloween?  

The Pottery Barn catalog is like crack.  No, like an abusive boyfriend.  (I told you I was bad at metaphors.)
I love Pottery Barn, but it doesn’t love me back.  I legitimately get angry if they bump me off their mailing list for going longer than three months without purchasing something. It’s simultaneously sad and pathetic. I sing their praises, but they’re not perfect. Their prices and shipping costs can be cruel and bitter.  (Oh, but I do love the words “Out for delivery,” don’t you?  I love you, UPS.  I do!)
I made this Pottery Barn Kids knockoff, but wanted to try something from the Big Kids store.  Fall’s coming, and I’m faced with a decorating predicament.  I’m a creature of habit.  My entire house is bathed in lattes, browns, whites, reds, and blues.  I’m predictable.  And patriotic, apparently.  Fall is full of orange.  Full of it.  Orange pumpkins, orange leaves, orange candy corn, orange Oompa Loompa faces.  Orange doesn’t fit here.
I was surfing the PB site, and I fell in love with these:


They’re $24 a piece, but they’re actually pretty small.  At six inches in diameter, you’d probably have to buy the three as a set.  One small, solitary pumpkin would seem a little disjointed in my living room.  So, I thought I’d try to copy it.
1)  Acquire some pumpkins.  The orange and white ones are foam.  The other two are ceramic.


2)  Spray paint the acquired pumpkins.  I did a coat of white paint first, to act as a blank canvas for the good stuff.  Better already.


3) Spray a coat of silver paint.  I actually did this while the white paint was still wet.  I wanted the white paint to “move around” a little bit and give the pumpkins some texture.  It worked, I think, although it’s hard to tell from these pictures.  My original plan was to cover them with silver foil leaf to add a little depth, but I liked them so much that I skipped that step.


I’m actually digging silver these days.  When we first bought our home, I was all about the oil-rubbed bronze.  But, I think silver looks so fresh and bright.  And I especially like it with white.  So I played around with some ideas.


Like them?  Materials for making six silver pumpkins totaled at $10.  Three at Pottery Barn cost $72.  I win this match, PB.  I win.
Oh, did you catch that hurricane candle holder accompanying my blingy pumpkins?  That’s another Pottery Barn Knockoff.  Check it out here. :D
It’s still very much summer here, so I’m packing these decorations until… um, when?  Where’s the Emily Post of decorating etiquette?  I’ll at least wait until Labor Day to put fall stuff out.  I think.

How lovely those silver painted pumpkins look!
  Very classy!  What do you think?

14 comments:

Anonymous,  September 9, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

These look REALLY good! I love that you left the leaves on them. Your other decorations are really pretty too!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window September 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

This is a project I can't wait to do. You are very clever . It must feel good to win against the big guys. Please stop by my brand new blog and follow it if you get a chance.I am new to blogging and really enjoying myself.Thanks again!

Lindsay Hosanna September 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

Dang! I love these :) And so easy! Hopefully I can try this project out soon!

Unknown September 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

I've actually been spray painting my pumkpkins silver and adding glitter for years now. I love them! I did it this week in fact. http://holy-craft.blogspot.com/2010/09/glittery-pumpkin.html

allthingsnew September 9, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

That's awesome! You really did win this round :) I LOVE fall decorations!

I wanted to stop by and thank you so much for featuring our cottage remodel on your site! I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but we are currently finishing our house from 1889 so we can move in this week, so I've hardly had time to be online. I'll definitely be by to link back up once we have before and after pics of our 1889 Victorian. It's hard to believe, but it was in even worse condition than the garage :) Again, thanks so much for the feature!

Blessings,
Stephanie
Ten Talents

MoeWest September 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

I like your pumpkins better than PB! Your display looks great. The orange berries are a nice spot of color.

Candy September 9, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

i think the painted pumpkins look SO elegant and soothing. altho i love oranges and greens and all the fall colors, this gives it such a new and interesting dimension. love it and LOVE the filler u chose for ur hurricane vases. very pretty

BB September 10, 2010 at 1:36 AM  

I am totally digging those pumpkins.. Silver spray paint is sooooo addictive.. I would have thought the paint might have sort of eaten up the foam.. but I guess not? I'm heading to the dollar store for punkins this weekend.
thanks

{NiceGirlNotes} September 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments! And Cassity, thank you so much for featuring me!

- I think the foam didn't eat them because they were already coated in orange/white paint. :)

- I was a little concerned that the cinnamon sticks in the hurricane look a little like mini cigars or something. :P

:D

Anonymous,  September 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

How absolutely wonderful! I love, love love your silver pumpkins.

Now I'm off to the store to buy spray paint!

Kudos on a job well done.

Unknown September 28, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

TOTALLY did this... in GOLD! Love them. http://candyskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-pickin.html (linked to this site, too)

Anna September 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

I love them! I have some silver spray paint so I think I'm going to make some of these! Thanks for the great idea!!! Also thanks for linking up to the Weekend Warrior. :)

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP