We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Mason Jar Pendant Light Tutorial

05 September 2010

Here is another sweet light from Yanet at 3 Sunkissed boys.  I love these old blue mason jars!  Here is what she had to say:


I’ve had this hideous light over my kitchen sink for way too long.

I wanted something unique in that spot and since my love affair with mason jars continues, I decided to make a pendant lamp with one.  I used a similar procedure that I did for the Anthropologie inspired lamp.  Here are the things you will need for this project.

I always forget something when I’m taking the things-you-will-need pictures.  I sprayed painted the white parts of the pendant with Rusteoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze but I realized later that I really didn’t need to because you can’t see them.

It is much easier if you get a metal drill bit the circumference of the socket.  


I didn’t have one so I jiggered it got creative.
I know, it looks sloppy.  But you can’t tell once it’s put together.  See?!
Once this part is done, install the pendant following package instructions.  Put in a lightbulb, then screw on the jar.

This is what the space looked like before.

Here’s after.
I took away the wreath because I thought it would take away from the pendant.

I love how unique it is!

Now I need your help.  With or without curtains? 

Won't you please leave me a Sunny Note letting me know which one you think looks best? I'll let you know what I decide on a future post.

You-Can-Learn-a-Lot-from-a-Dummy-Tip:

When working over a kitchen sink, be sure to cover the drain (especially if there's a garbage disposal). I didn't and now there's a screw stuck in the garbage disposal.

Update (06/30/10):

Just wanted to let yall know that I've decided to take the little curtain off. I think it showcases the lamp more. In the future, I want to perhaps put a bamboo curtain but for right now, it's naked!! Thank you all for your suggestions. BTW, I had to have a plumber come out and take out the screw from the garbage disposal. I was not happy about that. So PLEASE follow my You-Can-Learn-a-Lot-from-a-Dummy-Tip!!!!

Isn't that a great way to give yourself a fun pendant light?

15 comments:

Amy September 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

I love that! I'd love to hear that it doesn't overheat and break the glass. I would have assumed that would happen without some ventilation. Yes? It's safe to leave on?

Sooo cute!

Christina September 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

Great job! I agree with "Melinda" about light and gauzy curtains...or leave it without. Those clouds look beautiful :)

Unknown September 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

I LOVE this idea soo much! There's something so vintage-y about canning jars. It adds such an unexpected touch to your kitchen!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes September 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

This post made me chuckle, because I just finished canning 11 jars of pickles and 1 jar of hot peppers using Ball jars! Love it without the curtain! I'm new to blogging, so when you have a moment please check out my latest post when you have a moment at http://oceanbreezesandcountrysneezes.blogspot.com/

Unknown September 6, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

That's the kind of light I've had over my sink too! The new wirly lights don't let you put the cover back on so you have to have it open. It's awful! Unfortunately I rent so I can't change out my light fixture.

The new pendant is really neat. Very country looking!

Tiffany September 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

How neat! I would agree - the current curtain takes away from the light, but a sheer or light-weight curtain would be neat!

Anonymous,  April 7, 2011 at 6:21 PM  

I think I'm going to do this method to save money since I am going to cluster several jars:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5428408_make-lighting-fixtures-cheaply-pictures.html
I will do a cluster of 3 to 5 over my sink(one large, the rest the smaller size)and have all the cords coming out of the same top piece. One looks a bit "lonely" to me...and I am going to use reproduction vintage bulbs inside. xo

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP