We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Little Cabinet Remodel

17 September 2010

Katie at Impatiently Praying For Patients  found an old little cabinet and tells a great story of how she came about it and updated it.


One morning I was out for my morning walk and I noticed that one of the houses have some junk at the end of their driveway for the garbage to pick up.

Yeah, I have no pride. I dig through my neighbors garbage.

Is there a support group for people like me?

Or better yet...one for our husbands?

One of the items in this neighbors pile was this neat little cabinet that just had a door broken off.

I was about a mile from my house.

I seriously contemplated carrying this thing home, for fear some one else would take it.

I actually picked it up and walked down two houses carrying it. Then I decided to leave it. 

Actually the weird looks I got from two cars passing by changed my mind.

So I hurried home, stuck the boys in the van with their pjs on and got that cabinet.



All the glass was in tack, but of course I dropped the loose door and the glass shattered.

DANG IT!

Well the good news I got the meet a new neighbor and clean up their driveway. Unfortunately she was in a heated conversation with her husband on the phone, so she didn't see too much humor from my accidentally breaking glass in her driveway.

I will be sure to skip that house on the next neighborhood garage sale.

When I finally got home and pulled the cabinet out of the van. Mr. Genius was all, "you were worried about someone else grabbing this?! I think you would have been safe if you wanted to atleast get the boys dressed."

Whatever Mr. Logic. Where is the fun in that?!

Once the boys went down for their nap I got to have some fun with some hammers and relieve some frusterations.

First I got my rubber mallet and loosened the cabinet to get the other two doors out.



Then I got a regular hammer (thats the techinical name) to break the glass in the doors that I didn't already break.



Aren't you suppose to learn alot about people just from looking at their trash? I guess you can say we eat Spinach, drink vitamin water, and now like to break glass. Sorry we aren't very interesting people.




But it sure is fun to break some glass.

Then I painted the cabinet white.

Once that dried I got the smallest dowl rod that Home Depot offered and and used my gorilla wood glue to glue the rods into the doors.






I put on some beadboard wallpaper on the back and painted it my new fav Halycon green.

Then I glued on some chicken wire in place of the glass.

And WaLa, we have a new cabinet!!



Oh and I spray painted the knobs silver. Remember when I spray painted the side table in my den silver and I hated it? Well the not bright silver works great with this cabinet.



I think it looks like an old almost antique cabinet.



I will be putting this lady onto Craiglist.



But here is my question.



What do I call this thing?



Is it just a cabinet with sliding doors?



A pie safe?



Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

And as always, any Chicagolanders let me know if you would like it. I am asking $60. 



What a great story and transformation of the little cabinet!  I love the chicken wires in the doors and the pewter dishes.  

14 comments:

Renee September 17, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

in it's original form, that's called a barrister's bookcase. but i would call that a country-chic cupboard...and i love it :)

(cullenkidsmum) September 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

Love it! Renee is right it "was" a barrister bookcase but you have turned it into a thing of beauty. A name for it????? Maybe Country pie safe or Shabby Chic Cupbaord.

Handbags*and*Pigtails September 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM  

Yup, a "barrister bookcase."Although it looks alot better than any one Ive ever seen;)

Alea Milham September 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

I enjoyed this post! I am trying to figure out exactly what the purpose of the dowel. Was it just to fix the damaged door. I see these all the time at our local thrift store. I would love to try my hand at duplicating it!

Terry September 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

I love it! And only $60 is a great deal! Too bad I live too far....Utah...I see an empty wall in my kitchen screaming for it! Good work! :)

{Bellamere Cottage} September 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

Yep, it's a barrister's bookcase.... so now it's a barrister's pie safe... It sure is cute!

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Polly @ Pieces by Polly September 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM  

This looks great! I was super excited to see this post because we have a barrister bookcase with a broken door...but ours isn't nearly as nice...it's made out of laminated particle boards, so unfortunately this is not in our bookcase's future, but I think what you've done here is awesome!

Ava DeVitis September 17, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

I just think the chicken wire is so fun. It is so contradictory to an indoor environment that it works perfectly. Such a beautiful piece. Well decorated with all the right plates in the right places. Thanks for posting this one. I love it.

Ashley Joy September 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

You are hysterical. I LOVE reading your blogs. Thanks for the laugh, Blogger friend! :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP