We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Brass Chandelier Makeover

17 September 2010


Please link up to our Remodelaholic's Anonymous Party today, for a chance to be featured on Remodelaholic!


Sarah at A Little Of This, A Little of That contacted me and wanted to show off how she made an old brass chandelier look stunning with a little paint and TLC.  I think that what she did is great, and I love that she reused an old light that might have been discarded otherwise!


I'm excited to share my latest DIY project with you!

I've seen some cool chandelier rescues out in blog land, and have been wanting to try it myself!

Last week I took my frist trip to a thrift store in almost 4 months *gasp!* and found THIS beauty:


Isn't it GREAT?!  I was SO excited!  I probably looked like a crazy lady hauling this huge light fixture through the store, and towing two little ones with me.  This chandelier is pretty big; 10 lights.


The steps I took to a girlie chandelier:


  • Do a "Pre Install" to make sure the fixture works!  You don't want to spend time fixing it up if it doesn't work! Light fixtures bought at a thrift store are always a gamble!

  • After you make sure it will work......Remove the white covers

  • Tape over where the electrical stuff is:

  • Prime your chandelier (I chose Krylon primer.  Any primer will do)


  • Spray paint it.  I went with Krylon's Ivory




  • I then painted the white light covers (Krylon Ballet Slipper)
  •  Make a cord cover to hide the top of the cord

  • Reassemble the chandelier with the white covers, and cloth cord cover
  •  I'm LOVING the contrast between the ivory chandelier, and the girlie pink light covers!

  • I also loooove the feminine details of this chandelier....so many swirlies
  •  Here it is, hanging up in Miss J's room

  • liked it, but thought it was still missing something.....Crystals!  This thing needed some bling :)
  •  Miss J really likes her "fancy lights" as she calls them.

Just another BEFORE



and AFTER

Isn't that beautiful?
I love how sweet and feminine it is now!  I need one for my daughter's room!

14 comments:

Dean September 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

I actually have a chandelier like this that I took down and I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. (It currently resides in my shed.) Now I know what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tara @ Tara Being Tara September 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

WOW! Talk about a before and after... I couldn't see a beautiful end product from that before shot, but I'm so glad you could!

Kate Riley September 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Fabulous !! I too transformed a brassy chandy last week!

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2010/09/brassy-to-classy-my-free-chandelier/

One tip: no need to physically install to test. Simply splice the end of a cheapo extension cord, twist the wires together, cover with electrical tape, then plug in. If the lights go on, you're good to go!!

Kate

Unknown September 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

These always intrigue me. I am going to make one one of these days. Yours is just too cute.

Jeni G September 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

adorable! we did one it turquoise for the dining room and i playing around with idea of doing one in apple green for my daughters room....maybe! Yours is so very sweet

Panamamama September 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

That is adorable! My daughter's been begging for a chandelier and I keep seeing those at the Habitat for Humanity store wondering how I could revamp them. Awesome!

Terry October 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

We just found a faux brass chandelier at our local thrift store.....we painted it Ballet Pink and the "candle's" (light covers)white! I love the transformation!! My ten year old daughter and I added crystal beads hanging in long strands.
Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP