We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

From Oak Kitchen Cabinets to Painted White Cabinets

02 September 2010



This kitchen update is pretty great, the kitchen was actually a good space to start with, but the freshening effects of the white paint, new hood and architectural details makes all the difference.  Check out what Jennifer of Southern Inspirations had to say about it:




This is a "before" shot of my kitchen - can you hear it screaming for an update??? (please excuse all the junk sitting around - I really should have cleaned!!)

When I built this house in 1987 and was so very proud to have solid oak kitchen cabinets.  Boy, did I learn to hate them!  Not that there is anything really wrong with oak, it is a nice wood with lots of grain and it was very popular in the 80s. 

So, not being brave enough to take on painting oak myself, I hired a professional.

 And this is what it looks like today.  Big change, huh?  Let me show you around...

Cabinets were painted BM Navajo White then slightly distressed and glazed with min-wax provincial stain mixed with a glazing medium. We updated all the hardware to oil rubbed bronze and replaced the old green laminate counter tops to granite.

Anyways, this is my new microwave hood - we love the dimension it adds to the cabinets! I think the coloring in some of these pictures is off because the cabinets are more creamy white than yellow.


Do you see the feet underneath the cabinets?  We think they add some character.  Also you will notice the old scalloped thingy over the windows has been replaced with this straight one.


We had this cabinet built and used the granite remnant from where they cut out our sink.  (By the way those two pics hanging to the right of the cabinet - I painted those myself!) I love the little feet on this cabinet - see close up below. 

Aren't they so cute!!

That's our pantry to the left of the dining room door.  We wanted it to look more like furniture so we had a furniture type molding added to the bottom.

This is a close up of the pantry molding.

The side of our pantry and some of the cabinets were very plain so our cabinet maker/painter guy added these bead board end caps. He also added a bead board back splash for us.

I took this pic from the sink area so you can see our breakfast nook. By the way we painted the kitchen BM Decatur Buff - a color I will most definitely  use again.  I also updated the rug to one with more of my most favorite color red.

By the way, this is the original island - can you believe it?  We added a new spalted maple top, corbels, new drawer pulls and the cabinet painter guy painted it black with copper glazing. I could have kissed him!!!  Take another look at the before below.  I really didn't think the "before" island was so ugly until it was updated and I looked back at this pic! I love that the top is longer now so I can pull up a bar stool (if I ever get one!).



We also had this little drop down door added beneath the stove.  When we replaced the stove several years ago it left a space at the bottom. Now I can use it to store trays!  Yippee - more storage space!

So, once again here is the before and after shots.

I love to wake up in the morning and stroll into the kitchen for a cup of joe!

We still have some work to do - I would love to add recessed lighting and replace that ugly fluorescent fixture with a hanging one.

Now a question for you - would you add a window treatments???  I sometimes think with all the hard surfaces a little soft fabric might make it more homey.  My husband disagrees.  What do you think?  I really appreciate your feedback!

Looks Beautiful!!
What is your favorite part?

23 comments:

Kari September 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

This looks AWESOME! It's crazy how different it looks with just a paint change! It looks like a whole new room! I love all the small details that you paid attention to (the feet on the cabinets, the distressing, etc) - WONDERFUL job!!!

SandyQuilts September 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

WOW it's wonderful. Hey what's your painters name I wanna hire him. No to the window treatment ... I love the clean look.

Congrats.

Kyra @ RACKS and Mooby September 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

What an amazing transformation! I would love to have cabinets this color in our Kitchen but hubby has put his foot down. I'm so jealous! Looks FAB!

Knit Purl Gurl September 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

I'd add something small and unobtrusive to the windows like a valence. And I'd do it in colors to match your roosters - a nice small pop of color to tie it all in, but not to clutter the room! :)

Gorgeous remodel! We are in an all oak wonderland in the kitchen and it definitely needs an update. Maybe your pics will convince hubby!

Katie September 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

OMG! I love it all. I can't imagine picking one favorite part of it. What a great revamp!

Christina Marie September 2, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

Wow it is GORGEOUS!!! I love everything about it, including the roman blinds on the windows! We redid our kitchen a while ago and put up curtains... which I am really regretting now. They are always getting dirty! I am going to start searching for your blinds today! :o)

So Sunny Day September 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

Love the island transformation. The detail is lovely!

~Emily N. from " too Blessed to Stress"

Love the Decor! September 2, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

We are wanting to do this very thing to our oak cabinets too . would love to knw the steps you took and the prep you did Please?

Anna September 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

Beautiful job! I actually think window treatments, if you kept them simple, would look great. I tend to like the clean look of no curtains or something like bamboo blinds in white kitchens that are clean and simple and sparser (for lack of a better word???) but where yours has the great beadboard, corbels, the decorative doohicky above your microwave, etc...I think a nice window treatment would look good and compliment the rest of the decor. Maybe just a pretty little valance. Just my two cents!

Unknown September 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Do you have a picture with the cabinets open? I am interested to see how the frames and insides of the doors and cabinets were painted.

Kitchen looks awesome!

Kimberly September 2, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

I LOVE your kitchen. I too, have a oak kitchen and I have been trying to get the courage up to paint it. I think you made wonderful choices and I think the ball feet are so cute!!!!

I would probably go with a simple RED valance across the windows, just enough to hide the brown shades. I think it will bring a touch of color up from your accents and the lovely red rug under the table.

Life in Rehab September 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

The island. OMG, the island! Wow, the whole kitchen is just fabulous, and I wantwantwant it!

Anonymous,  September 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

I've been trying to convince my husband to do this EXACT thing to our kitchen!! Got hosed by or builder who installed the wrong cabinets and would NOT change them. I hate the orangie-oak color and have long dreamed of them being white. Would also love to find out just how we could do this project (any chance your painter will come to Colorado Ü)??
Thanks for any info you can send my way...and, I love the window just as it is. Absolutely beautiful kitchen right outta a magazine Ü

Amy September 2, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

That is sooo gorgeous! I have a white kitchen but I sooo want to warm it up with glaze and the little feet on the cabinets add such a great touch. This is the second time I have seen a beadboard backsplash. I'm taking it as a sign (and my handy hubby can do it instead of tile!)

Unknown October 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM  

I too would be interested to learn about your prep work and the exact color of stain/glaze that was used. This is exacly what I have been looking for in my own kitchen- something bright and airy, yet not stark white. My email is tripler81@hotmail.com. Thank you!

Unknown December 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

Did they have to take the cabinets down or did they paint them in place? Looks great! Would you consider it an expensive job?

Unknown December 18, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Gorgeous kitchen!! I just love it!! Could you please send me an email as well is regards to prep and materials used?? pdavid773@gmail.com is my address! Thanks!!

The Marble Mix January 15, 2011 at 5:12 PM  

Wow...you guys did such a great job..I am in Love!! I absolutely love everything about your kitchen..the colors of the cabinets, the glaze, the granite, all the details, the hood over the microwave, the beadboard, the hardware...EVERYTHING. I love the touch of country! I was wondering if I could get the color of paint you used as well as the glaze. Did you get most things from Home Depot or Lowes? What brand of paint did you use? What process/order did you do your kitchen in? Did you paint them yourselves or hire someone to do it? My husband and I just purchased a short sale and while the cabinets are not terrible, I either want them darker or white and from what I have found out it is easier to go white. I really want to do wood floors in our home and can't stomach doing wood floors the color of the current cabinets and therefore would love as much information about your transformation that you have...I just love it! Did you purchase the feet on your cabinets at Home Depot? Did you do your bathroom cabinets as well? Are you located in the Northern California area by chance? Well sorry to bombard you with soo many questions, but I love the work you have done and would love to duplicate many of the features. If I can get any info I would greatly appreciate it and will email you pics of our finished product. You can email me at smarblern@gmail.com Thanks and great work!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP