We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Bed, Headboard & Footboard

16 September 2010

Carrie at Dittle Dattle loves Pottery Barn furniture like I do, but if you can make it your self I say go for it.  She made a headboard bed set for a great price.


Are you ready for the BIG reveal?!?!?!  I know I’ve been talking about this for sometime now and NOW you can see what all the fuss has been about!
It all started when I saw this gorgeous bed set from Pottery Barn
Hudson Bed, Full, Mahogany stain
Now this beautiful bed cost $1599. plus $125. for shipping.  Ouch!
With this PB picture and a print out of a design from Ana’s Knock~Off~Woods, I went knocking on my father’s workshop door!
So for about 3 months I got to work side-by-side with my dad.  Pretty much taking over more than half of his workshop!  These babies are quite large and bulky….part of the reason I love them so much.
******************************
We kind of made up our own design as we went long.  I’m going to give the “cliffs note” version of how this headboard set came to life.
We starting with the headboard~  Cut a sheet of MDF board the width of the mattress (the boys’ both have full size mattresses) and the length is determined by how high you want it to extend beyond the bed.  Because know one will see the board behind the bed our board starts at the bottom of the box spring.  On top of the MDF board lie 2 picture frames butted up together made from 1x4 select pine. 
The post were also made from MDF.  My father informed me that these post won’t split, twist, or shrink unlike that of a solid 4x4 post. Sold! Say no more.  Attach the post to the picture frame MDF board.
To dress up the top, a 2x8 is cut to fit just beyond the post.  Crown molding was added to the under side of the 2x8.
Know repeat with a shorter version for the foot board.
There you go…… 3 months of work summed up in a few short paragraphs.
WARNING:  Lots of photographs to come
PB Hudson Bed knock-OffPB Inspired Head  board
Full size PB Inspired Bed
Bedding:  sheets are from Target, Quit and Pillow Sham’s are fromThe Land of Nod
Benjamin Moore Polo Blue Headboard
Benjamin Moore Paint (Polo Blue)
Much better than that country blue I had before!
PB Inspired Footboard
The foot board is just a mini version of the headboard with one adjustment,  the top board is a 2x10 instead of 2x8.  This allowed an over hang on each side of the foot board.  See in the photo below.
MDF Post
Oh, and don’t forget the side rails!  These are 2x10’s.  The original thinking was to have the box spring set entirely behind the 2x10 as well as about an inch of the mattress so that the mattress wouldn’t be able to slide around.   However, after looking at other bed sets and to get the necessary height, the box spring ended up setting about an inch above the 2x10.  (know you see why it took 3 months??????  We I kept changing the direction of design.  Yes my dad is a patient man.) 
To cover up the exposed box spring, I wrapped the box spring with the bed shirt material so that it covered without showing under the side rails.
Oh and another thing, there are cleats attached to the inside of the side rails, where slats run horizontally to hold the box spring and mattress in place.
Land of Nod Red & White comforter
I didn’t notice this stitching detail when I order the quilt and pillow shams!
PB Inspired
Well…. I have to say… it was worth 3 months!  I love how it turned out and I hope these photos will show how truly beautiful this bed set is.
My Final Cost: 
{drum roll please}
$175.54
(this includes the wood, 2- Gorilla wood glue, primer, paint, rollers, and SC sales tax)
(hand on hand ~ screws, nails, sand paper, metal brackets to attach side rails, and all tools needed)



Absolutely beautiful! I Love the headboard that we created here.  You really do appreciate things better when you build them yourself, don't you!

7 comments:

michelle September 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

That is so great!!! I love PB furniture but it is really expensive!! I would love to do something like this for my kids rooms!!

Classy Clutter September 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

Gorgeous!!!!!!! Makes me wish I made a foot board when I made mine!

Here's the link to mine if you wanna see it! Yours is to die for! LOVE LOOOOVE IT!

http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2010/07/diy-headboard-remodelaholic-inspired.html


Mallory @ www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

Lindsay September 16, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

Man! I wish I could just whip up a fabulous piece of furniture! I am jealous of those skills! It looks fabulously expensive!

Kathy September 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Wow this is stunning! So patriotic, just love it, are you going to do the night stand too? I am just so impressed with how much $ can be saved doing this and I actually like yours better than PB.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle September 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

Thank you so much for featuring my PB Inspired Bed Set! I couldn't be more smitten with the final look :D

I made one for my teenage son as well. It has a completely different look just because of the paint color. I hope to be posting that real soon!

Thanks again.

Rob September 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Just fantastic! I like the chunky legs of your version even better than PB's.

Jenika's July 25, 2011 at 11:13 PM  

I stumbled upon this site while searching around to see whether it's feasible to make your own furniture a la Pottery Barn without it actually looking like a DIY project. I'm so glad I found this, because it inspired me tremendously! I am new to woodworking (I'm a photographer), so I appreciated your short description. Even though I still have to figure a lot out (how to attach crown moulding? How do you hide nail/screw holes?), I appreciate the inspiration very much.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP