We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Painted Antique Furniture Chest: Guest Remodel

07 August 2010

Over at Our Southern Nest they have taken a painted antique furniture chest and brightened it up with a little more color.

After:

A few years ago we purchase a distressed red painted chest for our home in Alabama.  I loved the curves of the chest but thought the color was too dark for our current home.  I decided to repaint it, and I love how it turned out.  Here is what it looked like originally.


Before:


First, I removed the drawers and lightly sanded the chest.  I used a hammer and a screwdriver to distress it even more.  Then I painted it Peacock Blue by Benjamin Moore.




I then used a tobacco glaze to highlight the grooves and the distressing.  I think I may still go back and add more glaze to make it more rustic.  It is always better to go light with the glaze.  You can always go back and add more, but it is very difficult to remove it if you have too much.







Once I put the furniture inside I decided to add a few gold highlights to help the detailing stand out.  I had to replace the original knobs because one broke during our move.  The bronze knobs will do for now but I think it would be pretty with glass knobs. 







It was an easy projects, and it took two days to complete it.  The most time consuming part was the drying time between coats.  Please feel free to email me with any questions about the project!

Thanks,
Our Southern Nest

P.S.
I had a few questions about where to get the glaze and/or how to mix it.  Your local paint store (i.e. Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc.) will have glazes in stock.  If they do not have the color you would prefer, ask them to mix a glaze for you.  I needed a light brown color to glaze cabinets and could not find a premixed glaze that was the right color.  I picked a color from a fan deck and asked to man behind to mix the colors in the glaze instead of the paint base.  You can also mix equals parts of paint (in your preferred color) and clear glaze and get great results.  I hope this helps!


The painted antique furniture chest looks beautiful!  How do you like the new look with the two tones of distressed color?

17 comments:

Anonymous,  August 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Wow, wow, wow!!! This looks so fantastic!!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

A Whole Lotta Magic August 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

Gorgeous shade of blue; thanks for mentioning it; I have and idea for a mirror ...

sue

Teresa@magazineyourhome August 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

It turned out just beautiful!! I want to do it on an old amoire that I have, I may be asking lots of questions when I get into it. Thanks for posting this.

Star Talks August 7, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

This is the PERFECT shade of blue. I love it! I would love to redo my bedroom dresser to look just like this one! Great tips on the glaze...

Tales From My Empty Nest August 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

I love your chest. I am doing a blue dresser right now. I can' wait to distress it and put on the glaze. Love & blessings from NC!

taggdarci August 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Wow! I seriously LOVE it!! It was beautiful before, but now...AMAZING!! Great job! Thanks for the tips!

Unknown August 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

I would be so scared to redo such a pretty piece of furniture but you did a fabulous job. I just love the color and the finish.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Michele August 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Love it! Thanks for giving the specific details on the process and paint colors. So helpful!

Opie Dawn August 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

So beautiful! Love the glaze and the furniture piece, what an amazing find?! I just added some flair to our dining room wall with a pearl glaze. Lot's of fun!

Miranda @ Pressing On August 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM  

I love it! I have this saved to attempt a duplication with my nightstands. They're the perfect color.

Wendy August 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

This is beautiful! I've been hunting, recently, for a piece just like this for a client. You should know, they are not inexpensive! You've done an amazing job!!!

Erin August 8, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

Love this redo! This is my fav color right now...and the shape of this dresser is so cool! Plus extra storage is always a plus!

Our Southern Nest August 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments! And thank you Remodelaholic for featuring me on your blog! You have made my day. :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP