We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Daybed Made Out of Used Doors: Guest

14 July 2010

Shaunna at Perfectly Imperfect made a daybed out of some used doors.


On to the daybed....I haven't decided how to finish it, and I'm just tired of waiting to show you guys.  Maybe you can give me an opinion. 

Okay, way back when in January, this is what my mom's doors looked like....


These were on my house growing up until I was 12 or so, and I always thought they were beautiful.  At Christmas, I found them laying in my parents barn, and I got a bit of a twinkle in my eye. 

The plan had been originally to use them as doors in our attic, but too much door for too little space.  We have those tiny angled doors, and these monsters were not fitting.  Period.

And then my mom, oh, my mom, had the lovely idea of turning them into a daybed.  I had picked out the one I wanted, but even on ebay it was $6-700, and that was hurting my heart just a bit to spend that kind of money on one piece.

So, with some time and a little bit of prayer--because we were quite scared that we would ruin them after that first cut--they went from this....


to this....


As you can see, my writing room is still not finished, but like I said, I'm too impatient to wait anymore.  We'll get to a completely designed and decorated room one day....and maybe even have a bedskirt.  :)


I love its heavy lines, and the delicate details on the inside panels.  One day I'd like to see it filled with cushy pillows and layers of bedding.  Again, that day will come.  These that I pulled from around the house will certainly do for now.  The bedding is Simply Shabby Chic smocked duvet and sham--found on Ebay for $24.


This is where I'm stuck.  I wanted to distress those grooves really well, but there's a problem.  That red (it's hard to see in the picture) still bleeds through.  Two coats of grey high-hiding primer and 3 coats of white later.  I'm done with base coats.  End of story there.  So it's either use the dremel (I'm going to do a post on that soon) and barely apply pressure and again with the praying, or glaze the grooves. 

I had originally wanted to glaze the entire bed.  But....I had a dresser-look a like (that's really lots of storage) made and it is grey-glazed.  I really don't want the pieces to look very matchy-matchy.

So....what do you think?  Distress the grooves ever so slightly or with a steady hand glaze only the panels, leaving some in the grooves?


Even though I am torn with the details, I'm a thrilled with the construction and the paint job.  Matt, you did a BEAUTIFUL job, and I couldn't be happier with my $20 daybed!  That's right, I said $20 for the balisters and feet...okay, maybe $30 with paint, but I only use gallons of that per week.


I promise you a full tutorial soon....and there's rumor of a video post on the construction.

Can't wait to hear what you think!!


And on to some news.....

Style Feature Saturday is coming soon!  You know I've been talking about it forever, and I'm taking the plunge.  As long as there are a good bit of participants, it'll go on for, I don't know, forever.
Mwa Ha Ha!!!

:)

All scary laughs aside, this linky party will be for featuring your style--in the home, that is.  It could be featuring your new mantel decor, or a room re-do, or even a craft that is for the home....and definitely furniture transformations!  Even though I love all the crafts out there, there are so many parties for that and most parties include all categories.  There's some on paint, on furniture, but none that cover the style of our homes....so if you heart me like I heart you guys, spread the word and be on the lookout for the button.  It should all be set up within a couple of weeks and I'll announce the start date---on Saturday's. 

SOOOO excited to spend my week perusing your brilliance!

If you would like to host a giveaway during any Style Feature Saturday, please let me know!  See "Advertise" for some stats on the traffic here, and how many eyes would be headed your way.


Can't wait to hear what you think about the daybed...give Matt some love, will you?  Just not too much.

How great was that!  

What do you think of her new daybed?

22 comments:

Unknown July 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

LOVE..LOVE...LOVE IT!! I have to say it is the best daybed I've seen so far! It's exactly what I want in my bedroom! Great job!

Carol July 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

That daybed is adorable! I have always liked those doors... there are quite a few homes with them in Texas. I would totally glaze it, but that's just me.

Unknown July 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

It is absolutely beautiful!!! Very creative and very shabby chic!!!! Love it!!

Anja July 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

this is beautiful! I'm a bit jealous, I love this bed, it turned out amazing!

COTTAG3 July 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

This turned out great and I like it the way it is. I love it just white. It's beautiful. Can't wait to see a tutorial.

Annie July 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

Oh my - I LOVE LOVE This bed! I am going to start looking for old doors! :)

Tru July 14, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Beautiful! Did you happen to take more pics of how you did it? I would love to know how you cut the shapes and stuff.

Yellow House Knits July 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

It's absolutely lovely! Equal parts vision (a bed from a door?) and execution (beautiful workmanship). Just perfect.

Donna July 14, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Oh my gosh! This is stunning! Your day bed turned out to be just soooo gorgeous! Who would've ever thought to make them out of doors? And even more special is the fact that they were from your house growing up :) I am in love with Ralph Lauren's antiquing glaze in "smoke", and I think it would look great on your bed, though I must say it is perfect right now! Magazine worthy, for sure!

whimages July 14, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

INCREDIBLE! I ALSO adore the heavy clean lines mixed with the sweet carving...it's perfection! I want one! ;-)

LiveLikeYou July 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

I thought I was pretty decent at redesigning chairs, tables etc. This takes reinventing furniture to a whole other level. I'm completely impressed!!

Terri-Lynn July 15, 2010 at 12:53 AM  

I LOVE the daybed. Beside the fact that it is sooooo beautiful, it also has sentimental memories attached. What a great creation! Apparently, praying pays off :)

Unknown July 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

That is sooo cool! I love it! So unique and original, and looks beautiful!

~Chelsea

Six in One Hand August 17, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Your bed is simply AMAZING!!!!

I've been wondering if I could make a bed out of dorrs and you TOTALLY made it possible!!
I think a brownish tint glaze would still give you the distressed and aged finish you want without it being so matchy. I would love to feature your bed on my blog!!

Anonymous,  December 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

I'm just gobsmacked at the how this has turned out! It's utterly beautiful and looks outrageously expensive! Well done! I'm going to follow your blog now to see what else you've been up to.
Megs :)

hatetoblog May 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

That is wonderful, I too have red wooden doors like those, that we keep. We lived in that house for 13 years. I always knew like you and Matt that they would be good for something. It's been 8 years that they have been in the garage... So this weekend, my are going to become a daybed too. Thanks for the help.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP