We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

While Hubby is away- the wife will Paint? Guest

23 June 2010


I saw this great before and after and wanted to share it with you.  I personally like the room both ways, but for the summer I can't help but love the airy, wonderful, resort on the beach feeling of the final room.   Thanks Lisa from Shine Your Light for letting me feature this!

Mark swears the square footage of our house has diminished since we bought it
because I have painted the rooms so many times that they are shrinking.
That being said, we have been trying to sell our house for 16

(yes, 16)

very long months.

I have run out of things to spruce up.
I have exhausted every hole that needed puttying,
trim that needed painting,
closets that needed de-cluttering.

I don't fool myself into thinking that painting one room will sell our house,
but it can fill the room with light,
make the room more appealing to buyers,
and satisfy my need to
DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING
proactive
to get this baby sold.

Even though I have been craving neutral walls everywhere,
we have
loved
loved
loved
our chocolate brown bedroom.
Nothing fancy, nice and simple and pared down,
but it was like a cozy cave, dark and comfy.
The chocolate brown was soothing, enveloping,
and I loved it paired with crisp white and a bit of robin's egg blue.

But when Mark left on Monday on a business trip,
I decided the time had come to neutralize it.
You know,
when he wasn't around to veto the project.

This is the after.  (Surprise, Honey!)
 I have to say - although I was going for a bit more of a beige color,
the color I picked under the flourescent lights at Lowes
(leading to a misinterpretation of the paint chip)
actually reminds me of the almost-white sand beaches of a Caribbean island. 
I'm loving it.  It's so bright and cheerful!
What do you think?

Here are some simple details of the room.
Everything except the wall color is exactly the same
but it all looks so different against a light background.
Keep in mind the house is on the market, hence the de-personalization!


Yes, that is a velvet coverlet in May!  And a winter scene over the bed! 
The colors work, plus I just adore this print by Thomas Dunlay
He is an incredible, well-known artist from the Boston area
that used to live in the neighborhood I grew up in. 
We have about 15 framed Dunlay prints in our house!

I reframed this one when I was in the biz....one of my favorite mouldings.
The moulding really pops against the new wall color.


This is our master bath, painted Fantasy Blue #716 (Ben. Moore)
- pardon crazy mirror reflections.
I love this color next to the new soft sandy white of the bedroom
(and lo and behold, another Dunlay print!)

We have a showing for the house in the morning.  
How much do you want to bet the prospective buyers say, 
"This room would look great painted
chocolate brown!"
Whatever, at least we can enjoy it while we're here!

**EDIT**  I found this out this morning from Lisa.  As an adendum to that post, we got two offers on our house the day after I finished re-painting the room and it's now sold!  Coincidence?  I like to think not.  :)

17 comments:

Belinda June 23, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

Personally, I love the brown, but I can see that the white would be more appealing to a buyer. The room looks great!

happileah June 23, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

Such a transformation! I kept comparing photos to see what else changed,because I thought it *had* to be more than paint; but Wow! everything just POPS more against the white. Wonderful!
p.s. I ALWAYS paint while my hubby's away, too :)

awal.ny June 23, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

How funny the way you put it, while the husband is away the wife will paint. And my husband has used those exact words about the square footage, and he has added that the paint holds the house up.

My husband has come home from business trips to find rooms repainted all the time. Once I suprised him and put an Arbor on the porch, that one was hard to miss. Good luck selling your home.

Up All Night Stamper June 23, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

The room looks HUGE and so airy! I was contemplating a darker color in my bedroom (which is, oddly enough, chocolate, robin's egg blue and a little bit of leopard but now that have seen this transformation I will reconsider.

Now if I could just get my husband to go away for a while! LOL!

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block June 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

This transformation is amazing! It's totally inspired me to get out the white paint and go to town!

Wendy June 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

How funny...I just posted on my blog how I'm itching to redo my entire house but because we are trying to sell it, it doesn't make any sense right now. You just blew my excuse out of the water! Maybe I should paint a couple of rooms :) Yours looks great painted lighter. I'm wanting all white rooms right now!

Unknown June 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

very nice! the brown was beautiful but this shows how versatile the room could be! also, i'm queen of the "ill start this project while brian's away" love it. :)

Unknown June 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

I really like the lighter color, but I'm more drawn to that beachy feel so you have a biased judge here. It's a great change for helping the house sell; the lighter color made it look much bigger and cleaner!

Something Nice and Pretty June 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

I love the new color...looks great with the blue and brown accents...love the picture too!

Rondell

Brenna June 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

Wow! What a difference. I have to say, though, I'm glad you painted it. I walk into dark bedrooms in houses on the market and am immediately turned off. I want to feel like the house is a fresh start. It's hard to feel fresh in a dark room. Does that make sense? Anyway, I love the change! I'm glad you like it too- I know how hard it is to live in a house you're trying to sell. Good luck!!! Let us know when it sells.

Goings on at the Glenn's June 23, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

congrats on selling your house! That must make you feel good know you put that last bit of effort into it and wha la! Great job!

Unknown June 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

I love it either way. How great to have sold it after the paint job! I do think it was because of the paint.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light June 23, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments! I am enjoying the light color and think I will use something along these lines in my next house. For those that asked, the paint is from Valspar but I'm sorry to say I don't know the name. It's very close to Ben Moore's "Dove Wing" #960!
Thank you Cassity for featuring my bedroom reno! xoLisa

Katie June 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

You know, I was sitting there thinking, "But I love that brown!" Then I saw the after photo -- WOW, it's breathtaking in sandy white! No wonder the house got sold!

Jocelyn June 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

I much prefer the neutral color. I'd love to know what the color was you used on your walls. We are painting our new bedroom, which is currently a neutral gray shade. I would like to warm up the room and your wall color looks very good. I recently blogged about the new house last week with pictures showing the sellers furniture and colors.
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com

Jocelyn

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP