We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Tippity Top Topiary! Guest

23 June 2010

I really love Topiaries, so I thought I would show you this one that I found made by Ela on Life in my P.j.'s.  She has such a great little tutorial and I think this would be wonderful in a little girls room or for a party or a gift or.... 



Anyone who has been reading my blog, knows that I am obsessed having alot of fun making my roses. Well I decided to do a little twist on them. I wanted to know if I absolutely had to use felt to make them stable enough or could I use other fabrics. I decided to try some cotton backed with Osnaburg which is a fabric with a similar texture to linen, but much less expensive, especially when you use a coupon. I got mine for $2 a yard after the coupon. So I tried and it worked. However they come out much smaller as you can see here:
002
Almost half the size. So it takes alot more to fill up a space than the ones backed with felt. It took be half a yard of each fabric plus Heat N Bond to make my Rose Topiary:
>
It was very hard to take a good picture of this in my livingroom.
Here is a picture of just a small amount of the flowers I used:
021
I love the print I used. Its this here. I thought it matched the new colors in my bedroom perfectly. Here is a close up of the top:
026
I used this tutorial for the butterfly. Then I applied some Spanish Moss from the dollar store to the bottom:
027
The little pot was painted with Behr’s Ultra Premium Paint and Primer in One in the color French Roast, which in my opinion is a close paint match for ORB. I had sprayed the dowel Ivy Leaf my Krylon.
This will go on the same shelf as my Live Laugh Love picture, once the shelf is finished.
Here is it again:




I got some questions about how to make the 3-D roses found in my Rose Wreath. So today I’m going to show you how to make them.
I promise I did not watch Vampire Diaries while making this tutorial and there are plenty of pictures!
Today we will be making these:
043
Supplies needed:
  • Fabric
  • Felt
  • Heat N Bond Lite
  • Iron
  • Felt Glue
  • Sizzix 3-d Flower Die
  • Die cut machine of your choice ( I use a Cuttlebug)
One sheet of felt, makes 9 flowers and I base all my measurements on that.Most felt sheets come in 9 x 12 inch rectangles and can be found at any craft or fabric store for about $.25. The fabric comes out to a fat eighth, if you can get that amount. Most big fabric stores won’t cut fabric that way. I usually get at least 1/2 a yard of fabric at a time anyway, so I can just cut it off of that.
Lay your felt sheet on your fabric and cut:
027
Then lay your felt or fabric on the Heat N Bond ( also purchased by the yard) and cut to fit:
028
Iron your Heat N Bond to your fabric as per manufacturer’s instructions:
029
Allow to cool. Peel off paper backing and iron onto felt piece:
030
Allow to cool again. Once cool, cut into 3x4 rectangles. I used my guillotine paper cutter and it works great. First cut your 12 inch side into 3 strips, 4 inches wide:
031
Then cut your strips, long way into 3 strips, 3 inches long:
032
This can be done with a rotary cutter or scissors. Whatever you have handy. I tried this method out one night and was super excited that it worked.
Here are your 9 squares:
033
Now its time to die cut! For the Cuttlebug, I sandwich a B plate, the Sizzix die, 2 rectangles over the large die and another B plate, and cut!
034
(Yes I’ve cut and made a ton of these already. I can’t help myself. Both my B plates look this bad lol)
This is what they look like cut and then pulled apart:
View cut roses
Next we roll, just like any other rosette. This is tough to photograph because you do need both hands to roll these:
038
When you get to the end:
039
Time to glue! I use felt glue:
040
Put the big piece on the bottom and squish it together:
041 042
And that’s it! You’re all done. Admire your beautiful roses:
043
The possibilities are endless with these.

Love how cute those little roses are!  
Don't you agree?

1 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP