We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Take a Seat! How to Build a Bench, Posh Pieces

24 June 2010

Hello Everyone!
My name is Shannon, I blog over at Posh Pieces. I am thrilled to be here at Remodelaholic again sharing another project with you all. Thanks Cassity!

I was ready for my next building project, and had been eying this bench for a while. Ana has the plans on her site to build something practicably the same, so I decided to give it a whirl.



First step is to take inventory of what lumber you have. The plans didn't call for a whole lot of supplies, and I was lucky enough to have some of it on hand already. I ran to the lumber store for the remaining supplies.

Lumber Store Tips
  • Put your kids in one of those car shopping carts if they are small enough. It will save you from chasing them down the lumber isle as well as buy you some time at the store.
  • Having your kids with you, and being female (assuming your female and going without a male) you will be asked at least 10 times if somebody can help you. :-) Let them, it can save you some time.
  • Sort through the wood and chose the boards that are not cracked, or warped.
Bring your lumber home... and your ready to get started!

I made some, but not all of my cuts first. I didn't want to make them all and find out that I needed to adjust something and not have enough lumber.

I started with the legs, per the plans on Ana's site.


The next part was to notch out the legs with a jigsaw.

I have never used a jigsaw before, and was not sure how difficult or easy this may be. So my first step was to measure the area that needed to be cut out, and then mark it with a pen.


It was actually pretty easy using the jigsaw. The biggest problem I had, was getting the notched out area totally straight. I found myself going back, and sliding in the piece of wood into the notched out area checking to see if it would fit properly, then going back and cutting more, repeating this process a few times.


My son drew a picture on the wood for me.

The plans call for a 54 inch 1 x 12 for the bench part.
For some reason, I thought it said 48 and so that is what I got.
This made things a little tricky, because now I needed to scale down the inner supports accordingly.

This wasn't too difficult until I got to the cross support pieces.

This is when you take the opportunity to make your husband feel real smart and needed and ask for help. Men love this, don't they? I am not fond of math, so I let my husband verify the size of these pieces for me. :-) He enjoyed helping.

If your husband isn't available, you can get a helper like this one too. He was quite handy at giving me the screws.

 

After I finished constructing it, I primed and painted.
Finished!





I was going to distress it, but now I am not so sure. My husband says that he likes it not distressed.. so, I guess it stays this way for a while.

Thoughts? Shall I distress or leave it as is?
Thanks for letting me crash your place Cassity!


- Show quoted text -

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP