We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

That's Entertaining, Custom Entertainment Center, Guest

15 June 2010

Hi , my name is Sandra of Sawdust and Paper Scraps.  I'm a Remodelaholic and this is my latest project.

I was flattered when Cassity invited me to be a guest contributor but I didn't know if I would have enough material to share on a monthly basis.  It seems to take me a really, really long time to complete a project.  My to-do list is comprised of mainly  "major projects" and I'm just one person so what can I say?  I'm lucky if I finish one project a month, but I'm going to give it a try!

I've been working on "finishing" my basement entertainment center for the last two weeks.  I started building it 6 months ago but stopped after I got to this point.   (So I could focus on my daughter's playroom.)              
I "mostly" finished her space and re-focused my energy on the TV room.   

2 weeks ago, I worked my way to this point.  (You can read this post if you're interested in those steps.)

Then all I had to do was build some doors and "style" the shelves.  (And of course, hook up the TV and components but that job, I'm thrilled to say, my husband was happy to take on himself.)  So, this is where I decided to say, "Yes, I'll do the guest post thing.  All I have to do is build some doors and style the shelves and I'll do the final reveal on Remodelaholic!" 

That was my plan and it seemed reasonable.

However...

While shopping for tchotchkes, I  saw some "old signs" and decided to make some myself.  They are just  pieces of wood with some words painted on them, after all!
 Additional Project #1:  "Old" Signs
I got carried away!  I made these but decided they were too small so I made some more and used these on something else.

I did a storage wall in my daughters playroom and it took me a week to shop for, try out and return the unwanted baskets, boxes and bins.  I hadabsolutely NO desire to go through all that again so I decided to make some kind of storage container myself.

Additional Project #3:  "Old" Crates

Now on to the doors!  (You'll find I get sidetracked easily.)  I'm just putting doors on the 7 lower openings.


If you happened to read my first Basement Entertainment Center post, I said I was going to make 16 doors.  I was originally planning on doing 2 doors per cabinet (which I realize would only be 14???  no idea where my brain was right then) but when it came down to it, I changed my mind and built one large door for each opening.  Half the work, half the hardware.  (Which I ordered before I changed my mind so I didn't really save any money but I can always use them later, on something else.)

Got the doors and knobs installed and put everything on the shelves and here's what I ended up with.


I made a couple like this to hold movies and video games.
 I found these when shopping initially and thought I'd do a beachy theme, old beach signs and some shipping crates.  I'm not sure where it took on the "garden/farm/orchard" theme but I really like these "balls" and think it all works together, even if the "themes" don't match. 

This little red crate I found at a thrift store a couple months ago for $1.50.  I totally forgot about it until cleaning out the garage today and there it was.  Perfect!
I didn't want to take the time to cut out hand holds like you see on most old crates so I bought some rope from Home Depot (45cents per foot) and used that as handles.

I have so much storage behind all those doors but they are completely empty right now because I haven't cut any shelves.  So, I guess I'm still not completely done but I have a million other - more important things to do right now.

We'll see if I get any of them finished before next month rolls around!  Ha ha!  See you then.

10 comments:

Tricia June 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

We are (very sloooooowwwwly) working on a very similar project in our FR. I am in love with how yours turned out! You should be so proud of yourself. It looks amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown June 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

I absolutely LOVE what you've done! Great job!!. This is exactly what I've been wanting to do in my living room. If only I had more time..or my husband, I should say. Just beautiful :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light June 16, 2010 at 6:33 AM  

You are so talented. Thanks for sharing what you've done with your own two hands....I'm inspired to build something!

Heidi Marie June 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Haha! Every time I scrolled the mouse down I said "wow, wow, wow, wow" all the way to the end. Amazing!!

Patrick April 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM  

Very nice job!! What material was used to make the base cabinet? MDF or plywood? Thx..

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP