We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Red Door Home House Tour

14 June 2010

I was so honored when Cassity asked me to participate in her virtual house tour series. As a regular follower of Remodelaholic, I have so enjoyed all the creative ideas and great tutorials that have been shared. To introduce myself, I am Stacy from Red Door Home – a lifestyle blog showcasing home décor, original DIY projects, budget decorating ideas, simple sewing and more. If you get a chance, please stop by and say “hi.” Today I am happy to share one of my favorite and most used spaces in my house – the family office.

Originally my daughter’s nursery, this room is probably the most personal area in our home. It is here my family displays pictures, artwork, and mementos from vacations. It is also a space which houses several items with sentimental meaning.
One of my favorite features is the bulletin board showcasing my collection of vintage rhinestone pins, earrings and shoe clips. My Grandmother loved this type of jewelry and several of the pieces belonged to her. If you look closely at the second picture you can see I collected initial pins spelling “Red Door Home.”
Another favorite feature is the capiz shell light. Purchased on line from Target, it adds an unexpected modern touch to what is a fairly traditional space.
Our family office is a room that has been decorated over time mostly by repainting, reusing and repurposing. The desk is a hand-me-down which I painted and glazed. The chair is a roadside find, which I finished to match the desk. The shelf and bulletin board are new purchases, also painted to look old.
Other painting projects in this room include the lamp (originally brass), the mirror (originally gold leaf), the stool (painted and recovered with vintage feed sack material) and the wainscoting which my husband and I installed. The small trunk is a flea market find and is used for storing papers, office supplies, magazines, etc.
Although a majority of the time spent in this room is at the computer, the focal point is the antique Swedish settee. Years ago, I purchased it to go at the end of our bed. After getting it home I realized it was too big and it ended up in the office instead – lucky mistake! Another hand-me-down is the coffee table. It too belonged to my Grandmother. On top of the table sits a child’s chair from a favorite local shop and a pitcher which belonged to a childhood neighbor.
The final piece of furniture in the office is the bookcase. When I purchased it, I was looking for something with display space and filing space. Although it does fit perfectly and is a nice piece of furniture, part of me wishes I had waited to find an older piece to use.
As you can see, the furnishings and accessories in my family’s office have come from a wide variety of sources. It is a room that has evolved over time and is now filled with many wonderful memories. I guess if you are patient and use what you love somehow everything will work together! Thanks again to Cassity for allowing me to share my family office. I am so looking forward to seeing the next featured home.

11 comments:

Wendy June 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

I really can't believe that fixture is from Target.com! That is a star piece in the room! Beautiful.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal June 14, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

That is really a beautiful room! I can't believe the light is from Target either. Love your pin collection!

Arlene Grasman June 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Shell light! Love it, so unique and fancy, but cozy too. Great tour, thanks for sharing!

Teresa June 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

everything is fabulous.... soft colors, unique lighting...great ideas.
Thanks for sharing!
Happy day

Maggie Mae June 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

The jewelry is beautiful. I would love to give one of the bird necklaces to my daughter.

jay chua June 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Hi Stacy,

I am impressed with your decor :)

The capiz shell light is awesome, and I also couldn't believe it's a Target store item.

I like the color you are using, particularly white color display..it really made your home furniture stand-up.

Jay Chua
Publisher, PorchSwingSets.com

Anonymous,  June 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

Stacy's done a fabulous job as always! Love the unexpected capiz light fixture, too.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP