We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Modern Farmhouse Family room; Kara Paslay Designs

17 June 2010

 This post is from my guest contributor Kara Paslay Designs!

Get ready to feast your eyes on one fantastic family room! Weeks before the makeover, I met with the family to discuss their particular design style and preferences. They, like many others, were not able to explain exactly what they wanted. But through a series of questions and inspiration photos I was able to figure out what would make the Dugan's happy with their home! I am calling their style, "MODERN FARMHOUSE!"

So, let's see what that looks like!
BEFORE
IMG_2464
AFTER DSC09400 DSC09395
Some key elements that had to be included in the design were: high contrast colors, an overall warm/inviting feeling, clean lines, and lots of wood texture and tones.
As you can see we painted the fireplace a bright white and then surrounded it with a lovely warm gray/green. That treatment above the mantle that looks like some sort of suede is actually a concrete overlay. What can I say. . . Tim and I are sort of smitten with concrete and all its possibilities! :)
DSC09404
The ladder serves to take the wood tone up the wall warming up the bright white as well as drawing your eye to the tall ceilings which makes the whole space seem bigger!
The chair rail brings in more of a traditional farmhouse feel, but the fact that it flows seamlessly into the mantle makes it a little more modern and visually pleasing.
As far a space planning goes, the room could not hold the couch, loveseat, large chair, and ottoman while still being wheel chair friendly. So, I got rid of the loveseat and moved the couch off the wall (where it sat 15ft away from the fireplace and TV) creating a more intimate area where the family can be close to the fireplace, television, and most importantly each other!!! DSC09410
Because I got rid of the loveseat and essentially 2 places for people to sit, I decided a bench (which doubles as firewood storage) was a must. I also like how painting the bench white visually extended the fireplace making it even more of a focal point!
DSC09407 DSC09408
DSC09401
The family's computer was formerly in the parent's bedroom, which made privacy a problem! With the new furniture placement I knew I could provide a place for the PC in the living room. The new desk was created from an old wood door and some sawhorse style legs. In the future I envision the family using the shutter style door as a place to prop up pictures, to do lists, and more!
DSC09396
The first thing that came to mind when I pictured the Dugan's "Modern Farmhouse" family room was a cowhide rug! To me, it is the perfect balance of modern and rustic. A plethora of pillows bring in all sorts of texture, a little color, and a whole lot of comfort!
DSC09400
Although there are a few more finishing touches I would have addressed with a little more time (this was done for a charity on a two day timeline), I am pleased with the final product. And most importantly so was the family. Shari, the mother, said "It's like you were in my mind and knew exactly what I wanted!" In my opinion, a designer can receive NO greater compliment than that!
BEFORE IMG_2476
AFTER
DSC09395
If you look closely, you will notice that the scene through the open french doors changed dramatically! You can read all about that HERE!!!!

By Kara Paslay Designs.

10 comments:

The Mac's House June 17, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

This is by far one of the best and most dramatic transformations of a family space. This deserves to be on design star. Great job!

Ashley June 17, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

I love the Modern Farmhouse look. That's how I would describe our house too. We just need the cowhide rug. :) And my husband is obsessed with concrete, so will have to learn more about that overlay!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond June 17, 2010 at 8:19 AM  

The transformation is amazing! I love the color on the fireplace wall. What color is that if you don't mind me asking?

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} June 17, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

As a redesigner, myself, I know good design when I see it, and I just saw it!
It looks awesome!
The thought and planning is evident in this room!
Now come help me with my livingroom! I am out of ideas!
:)
Hugs,
me

Karena June 17, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

Great job!! Cassity you have really brightened this space!

Come and see what I have created for Catherine's Party!

Karena
Art by Karena

Melissa at HOUSEography June 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

This is awesome! I love it. I especially love the silver accents which keep it modern and not too rustic. Great job!

Melissa
http://www.houseography.net

Life in Rehab June 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

Cassity, you have an amazing vision. And you did it in two days? Marvelous!

Kara Paslay June 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Hello Ladies! I am so glad you like the family room I came up with!! And you think Design Star worthy- that just makes my day!!! Thanks for all the support! And thank you Cassity for having me!

The color of the fireplace wall is the natural color of the concrete overlay.

Come visit my blog anytime!

www.karapaslaydesigns.blogspot.com

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys June 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

I'm a huge Kara fan!!! this looks great, like all of her designs. I love the long ladder.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP