We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fan tastic! Ceiling Fan Face Lift! Guest

03 June 2010

I was really amazed when I saw this ceiling fan transformation.  In this hot state of Texas, we need our ceiling fans, or face paying cooling bills that rival college tuition and fees every month.  And well, I have a lot of plain Jane ceiling fans,  so Carrie @ Dittle Dattle really showed us how it is done:  Check out the amazing before and after. 


Do you remember this girlish fan that hangs in my youngest son’s bedroom?
IMG_2547
It’s white…it’s plain….it’s B.O.R.I.N.G!!!
Well…..not anymore……
IMG_2581
IMG_2553
{sorry for the awful photos.  I had a dickens of a time photographing it}
I simply removed the fan blades and spray painted! 

Here’s how I did it:

{cause you know you want to do this too}



  • Remove the fan blades with a screw driver.  (assuming you want them a different color) 

  • Clean all the parts really well!

  • Protect the areas that you don’t want painted with masking tape and newspaper.  I masked off the ceiling and the electrical light sockets.

  • Open up a window to provide good ventilation. 

  • Spray paint the motor assembly of the fan and the screws one color.  (2 coats)

  • Spray paint the fan blades another color.  (2 coats) 
IMG_2549
IMG_2551
  • Let the paint dry.
  • Remove masking tape and paper.
  • Reassemble the fan blades to the motor mount.
  • Turn on the fan.
  • Step back and WOW yourself and your family!!!
One last thing about the paint…..
Red paint ~ Krylon Fusion (Wal-mart)
Silver paint~ I used a combination of these two spray paints.  The Valspar (Lowes) was the first coat because it has a deep dark under tone.  The Rust-Oleum (Wal-mart) was used as the top coat because it has a light shimmering quality.  Almost to the point of being glitter-like.  I like the way the two paints worked together to give it dimension. 
IMG_2586
IMG_2571
IMG_2570
IMG_2582
IMG_2584


I just can’t get over how well this turned out.  Again I’m sorry the photos aren’t doing it justice.  This is a project that I had been thinking about for awhile and now I couldn’t be more excited about the way it turned out 


I would be excited too! 
It looks brand new!

9 comments:

Bonnie @ House of Grace June 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I really love the metallic paint. Great idea!!! Thanks for sharing.
Bonnie

Pamela Gold June 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

My jaw is on the floor... This looks fabulous!!! I have ceiling fans in every room, I live in Florida, and they're all just a white mess. Now I know what to do!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle June 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

Thanks Cassity for sharing my project.

It might not get as hot here in South Carolina as your Texas summers but with 9 foot ceilings, ceiling fans are a must. And I agree, I'm too much of a penny pincher to pay high electric bills! This original builder fan needed an update that my pocketbook could afford!!! Thanks again :D

Heidi Marie June 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Oh I was frustrated with having to buy a new fan for our master bedroom, but I'm stoked to try this instead. Thanks for giving me confidence!

jules June 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

This is so cute. I liked the way that you did not even have to take the ceiling fan down to paint it. That is so neat!!

Craftcherry June 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

I'm going to need to start hunting for a old working fan. I need one for my baby on the way and I haven't seen anything I like...Until now.

So Sunny Day June 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

oh wow! I love how different it looks. Totally takes an ordinary fan and makes it look custom.

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

m @ random musings June 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

I just did this last month! I swear, the hardest part is cleaning all the grime off the blades. A totally gratifying project. [see it here: http://rubberducky26.blogspot.com/2010/05/fan-reveal.html]


Thanks for the tips on metallic painting.Fabulous result - what a great looking fan.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP