We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Architectural Detailed Beam: Guest

30 June 2010

At La Maison Reid they are adding a nice new touch with an old architectural detail.

Architectural salvage


My living room/dining room is one big, boring rectangle with no architectural interest whatsoever. When remodeling this room recently we thought about putting in some columns with shelves but that just wouldn't work as it would have cramped the living room.  The next best thing would be to have the "illusion" that the two rooms were separated without losing the views from both sides or losing precious space.  That's when I started looking for a pair of antique corbels.





won bought a pair on eBay. Couldn't live without them.  You know how that goes!  I wanted to hang them between the two rooms.  But normally corbels are attached to a beam.

Beam?  What Beam?








Not a problem when you have a junk heap corporation yard like we do.



There's some nice aged redwood in there.  Just enough for a beam! 




We made a trial beam.  Thumbs up!



Gerry and my husband (The Professor) building the beam.



Supports are up.



Beam is up.  Time to nail it in place.



  Oops.  Poor baby. Not a good thing to hammer your finger instead of the beam :(




I love my new beam!



Once that finger isn't so sore we'll put the corbels up.




For now the corbels look nice on the sideboard. 
 Can you see the beam in the mirror? 




I love old architectural details and I love


 how they are going to use it in their 


home with a new beam.
  
Thoughts?





4 comments:

Wendy June 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Loved those corbels and that idea of where to put them! Great job. And inspiration. I found one little lonely corbel years ago. I carried it with me from house to house until finally, when finishing our basement, I had our contractor use it for one side of a built in desk. The inspiration part? I'm going to do a post about it on my blog! Thanks!

Stephanie June 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

OMG - what a fabulous idea for the beam and the accents. Instant GORGEOUS character. *making mental note...* =)

Heidi Marie June 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

we put up a beam sorta thing in my living room/kitchen to give the same affect! I love it! Yours seems much more architecturally beautiful. :) I should've got a few more ideas for mine!

Nancy July 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

I was very upset when I saw my WHOLE post featured here. I found it quite by accident one night at 1am while surfing the web in bed. Not being advised that my WHOLE post was copied here is probably what upset me the most. I checked into it and found that you reserve the right to copy all or part of a post if it is linked up so I can't complain. It just would have been nice to be notified.
Nancy

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP