We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Recycled Awesome! Kitchen Remodel, Guest Post

02 May 2010

While surfing some parties last week I found this kitchen makeover and I immediately asked Tricia from The Domestic Fringe if I could show you all.  And since we have our recipe link up today (please link a recipe, hint! hint!) I thought today would be the perfect day to show it off.   The have done this all all the cheap, and I mean mostly free or next to nothing cheap!  and they are doing a fabulous job, so I really wanted to show it off.  Love the re-using!  Here is what Tricia had to say:

Last week I showed you a sneak peek of some home improvement projects that FringeMan and I are working on. So today I thought I’d update you on our kitchen. Please understand we are not professional home renovators and we are working with no money. I don’t say that flippantly. We are really working with very little. Keep that in mind.

Thankfully recycling is in style.

We also are NOT finished with this project. This is only an update.


The original kitchen

When we purchased our home, this was the kitchen. These were the only cabinets and counter space in the room. It doesn’t look terrible in the photo, but that sink had been leaking for many years and the inside of the cabinets were completely rotted. It was gross. You’ll have to trust me on that.


The other side of the kitchen

This photo is of the other side of the kitchen. The side I will not be featuring in updated pictures just yet. Again, this photo looks better than the in-person view. Please note, there was three inches of grease covering every surface in the kitchen.

That pantry is now closed to the kitchen and has become part of the bathroom behind the wall. We needed a bigger bathroom if we wanted a shower large enough to water our entire body.

On to the updates!

We did remove the window next to the sink/counter from the first ‘original kitchen’ photo. It’s a shame to lose a window, but the glass was compromised and I had a vision of what I wanted. I would not allow a window to stand between me and my dream. Besides, I have another window in the kitchen. If nothing else, we do not lack windows.

Are you ready?



Are you really ready?

New and Improved

Several months ago, FringeMan saw an add on Craigslist for FREE cabinets. He jumped on them. Excitement budded in my heart and grew as I heard the car pull into the driveway. I ran outside and that is when my excitement died.


I’ll try not to exagerate…really, but these were the worst cabinets I’d ever seen. At that moment, I thought we should have kept the rotted, moldy original cabinets. Words like disgusting, horrendous, dilapidated, and puke come to mind and unfortunately for FringeMan, they also came to my mouth. Now I’m accustomed to renovating on a budget and I have imagination, but I was sure these cabinets could not work.


Sadly, FringeMan and I fought about the cabinets for months. Yes we did.
The more hatred I would spew for the 1970′s dark brown ugliness, the more determined FringeMan would become to make these cabinets work.


And it took work. Believe me!

FringeMan had to build in an extra three cabinets to fit the space and we made all new doors. The door pulls we bought at a liquidation warehouse for 49 cents a piece. They were a score!


Originally I was going to paint everything white, but after painting my living room tables, I couldn’t resist bringing color to the cabinets. I’m so happy with end result! I really LOVE this color combination.
We also made the butcherblock countertop. That wasn’t as difficult as I first imagined. FringeMan took some good advice from a professional countertop contractor and we were in business.


After some research, I learned that you oil butcherblock countertops and you do not polyurethane them. They sell bottles of butcherblock oil (mineral oil) at the paint store in town for under $5. Maintenance is about once a month. I can spill (and I have) an entire glass of water on the countertop and it will just pool on the surface. It’s basically waterproof now.

I like that we were able to put the microwave under the counter. It was a last-minute decision that worked really well. FringeMan installed another outlet behind it, so we are cooking with power.
I wish I didn’t have the toaster oven on the counter, but it fits 4 frozen waffles in there at once and the kids can use it, so it must stay. I make any adjustments necessary for easy mornings.



Like I said, we are far from finished, but it’s come a long way. I am happy with the journey.  FringeMan did good, even if he chose ugly cabinets. 

I love what they have done and I love the color, so fun, 
Tricia, I can't wait to see the rest!

10 comments:

Unknown May 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

WOW! Talk about starting from scratch. I love the color, and I really love the open shelving.

You are very impressive...and creative!!!

:) Laura

Katy May 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

oh I LOVE IT!!!! (Since i pretty much did the same thing to mine. lol)
This is darling and I absolutely love the dishes too. The color is great, and i love how much more counterspace they made -- I'm envious of all that space!!

Heidi May 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM  

That's quite a change! The open shelves add a lot of character to the room. They have so much more counter space now!
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Have a great weekend.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Unknown May 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

What an awesome job!! Glad the cabinets worked out. Can't beat free. LOL
I can only imagine how much work has gone on here. We just did (almost done) with our kid's bath reno and it's about killed us. GREAT JOB!

Unknown May 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

Fantastic!!! I love it. We're renovating our kitchen on a small budget too and have decided to go with butcher block. I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you. I bet you could spray paint (I'd use a high heat one) that toaster oven too, so it's not something you hate to see on the counter. Sounds fun.

Anonymous,  May 2, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

Thank you all for your kind comments on my kitchen! It's very encouraging. I love seeing how other people make something from nothing!

-FringeGirl

Unknown May 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

I'm keeping my eye out for free/cheap cabinets and have been for awhile...

How did you make the butcherblock countertop? Any directions/advice? I have my heart set on butcherblock but am thinking about going with cement countertops, as I think I can easily figure them out. Advice is welcomed.

G May 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

I'm with inimitablea, I wanna know how you went about making the butcher block countertops! I want them in my kitchen, too.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP