We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Vase Envy: Guest Party Highlight

01 April 2010

This sweet little project was linked up to the party last week from Kat at Black Kat's Design  I love the idea of it and wanted you all to see it.



I want to make one of these pretty vases from old books from Sweet Paul. There is a great tutorial here. I was especially impressed with the price tag of this little gem. The book cost me $.49 cents at the thrift store and the little knife was $1 from the Dollar Store. Cute, Thrifty, Easy -- My kind of project!




My version didn't turn out as pretty. I started out with my template, but widened it. Turns out the skinner version would have been better. (The Dilbert book makes me laugh inside. I used to work at a large corporation and swore that Scott Adams sat next to me because my office was so much like what he wrote about.)

This is how my first attempt looked (yes first, as in multiple).I had a bit of trouble. As I cut through the layers of the book I unintentionally started to angle the blade of the knife, leaving some odd angles in the middle. I took the scissors to it and cut small chunks at a time and it looked better.

On my second try I rounded the bottom corner. It still looked like a blob. On my third try I cut the top part on an angle and lopped off a chunk of book. 






Here is how the final version turned out. 
 

Still not very vase like. I had to "fluff" the book up because the pages globbed all together. 


I completed two more to keep the original one company. Remember the rule, decorate in odd numbers! They aren't perfect and I can't keep the tall one glued together in back  (I'll just put that side facing the wall), but I think they turned out like, well, contemporary sculptural pieces of art! Yes, I'm calling my craft project Art. 


I love this! 


Thanks Kat for linking to the party.  I may have to try this or fool around with the concept cause it is very cool!

2 comments:

AJ and Kandice April 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Cute! I love Dilbert and don't know if I could bring myself to chop up a book! Very cute vase though!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com April 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

I have seen those around and wanted to make one. I think your turned out great. What a fun project. It's on my to-do list.

XOXO
Jen

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP