We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

No Sew Faux Roman Shades, When in Rome! Tutorial

02 March 2010

Can I just say that I am so nervous about posting this little tutorial...  See, if you remember my question for y'all on Saturday, as seen here. I pinned up some fabric and asked for your opinions and the answer?  Pretty much, every single person picked the print.  There was love for that sweet little print all around... well the truth is, on Saturday, I posted it, and then I waited about an hour and started... on the white fabric.  FORGIVE ME!


However, I still LOVE the print, but I just had to go with my heart, kinda like the bachelor... (I can't believe I just admitted that I watched some of this season...), and I just decided to go for it.  BUT don't fear, I am using the printed fabric in my craft room...when I get to it, so stay tuned for that one!

Anyway, this project has been done before in the blog-o-sphere.  But I think that pretty much anyone who has made their own drapes has done this before including myself in this project back in 2005, before I even knew what a blog was... so there, I am not just a copy cat! Although I do love my cats, and my chickens.. and well you get the picture, moving on.

Here is a before:
The whole house has these 2" faux blinds, and they are brand new and perfectly functional so,
I decided to keep them, but I didn't necessarily want to look at them all the time.
( apparently that means I would rather stare at the blank brick wall that is my neighbor's house...)

After:

Here are the instructions if you would like to try it out. 

Collect your supplies:
Fabric
Ribbon (if desired)
Heat bond adhesive strip
Velcro, adhesive backing
1 x 2 (x window width+) pine board
Measuring tape or ruler
Iron

(drill and screws or small "L" brackets)

This project can be sewn or not, it is up to you.

Measure your window, decide the width you would like and cut your 1 x 2 to the proper length.
Cut the fabric to width of finished blind plus at least 2 inches and the finished length plus at least 8 1/2+ inches.  (technically since theses blinds do not operate,
you don't have to have the full length and it would be fine)

Finish all four edges, by folding the top and two sides over 1/2 inch, 
then 1/2 inch again and either sew or heat bond the seam in place. 

On the bottom fold it over 1/2 inch and then 3 inches and sew or bond in place.

Now move on to the tutorial images.




Any questions? ... Bueller? ... Bueller?
Did it work out with the white instead of the print fabric?


Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won't try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what is going on in our family life.

39 comments:

The Pennington Point March 2, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Great tutorial. Don't be shy about posting it. You're adorable! Lisa~ www.livingmybestlifeii-lisa.blogspot.com

Jeanne March 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

Thank you soooo much for posting your pictorial directions! I have fabric to make a window tratment for my kitchen window and wanted to do something similar to this. All the directions I had seen before left me confused. Your directions are great! Maybe I can actually have a window treatment in place before the weekend. Now to go buy some ribbon and maybe some tassels.

BTW is your giveaway listed at the top of this page this year or was it last year?

Cami March 2, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

I voted for the print, but this looks great! The green stripe is perfect!

Pauline Wiles March 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

It's beautiful and your picture directions are so nicely laid out, too. Thank you!

Upstatemamma March 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Those look really nice. I may just have to give that a try. I have made all of the curtains in my house - and now I need to make ones for my daughters room. Maybe I will try this! Thanks!!

Sharon@KeenInspirations March 8, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Thank you for posting this! Making one of these is on my "to-do" list for finishing my bedroom makeover.

Bonnie @ House of Grace March 8, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

What a great post, I love your blog!! I found you from Make it for Monday. I am your newest follower!!! I can't wait to see what you do next!
Bonnie
http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com

Melody March 8, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

I just saw a shade similar to this at a store and was trying to figure out how to make it. I'm more crafty in the garden than inside. Just as soon as I decide what color I am going to paint the kitchen, I am going to get the supplies and make one. Thanks:)

Stacey @ Fun to Craft March 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

This looks great! It turned out so good. I always wondered how hard it would be to make some of these. It added just the right touch to your room. Thanks for sharing!

This would be perfect to share at my Spring has Sprung party this Friday! There is a giveaway too. :)

Roeshel March 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

I love it! I think you made a great choice and thanks so much for the tutorial! :)

Thanks for linking to the DIY Project Parade - you know I love seeing what you're up to! ;)

Roeshel

Hoosier Homemade March 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Love it! Thanks so much for the step by step.
I'm visiting from Tip Junkie!
~Liz

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans March 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

I loved the print too, but the white is also nice! I lOVE the green ribbon on it! : ) THanks for the tutorial... I have always wanted to make my own!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son March 11, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

These look fantastic! I'm totally doing this when we buy our new house. I can't wait!

LaVonne March 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Wow! This is amazing. We just bought a house and were thinking of Roman Shades for some of our windows. I am not this talented, so we may buy them. But yours are beautiful.

Blessings!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville March 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

What a statement! I LOVe it! That is so adorable! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday and sharing this week! I hope you will come back to visit me soon. If you haven't already, be sure to enter the giveaway.

Have a wonderful weekend.
HUGS!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Lori March 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

This is going to be bookmarked. I love it. I love the white.

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please come by next week for another great party.
Lori

Low Tide High Style March 11, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

Ok, I'll admit I was one of those people in the "print" camp, but I love, love, love the white with the green trim! Gorgeous, and I'm glad you followed your heart!

Kat :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence March 11, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

It is faux beautiful. I like the green and the white--so fresh. Thanks for linking up and sharing.

Jess March 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

That looks amazing! I would love to have you join my Mclinky party Favorite Things Friday the 19th if you are interested!

renee March 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

They look so wonderful! I love the simplicity of the white w/ green stripe.

Marianne March 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

It looks beautiful. I love the touch of that matching ribbon! Very nice soothing look for the bedroom.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com March 18, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

So pretty! I love the clean white with the stripes. You did a great job my friend!!!

XOXO
Jen

John Taylor March 29, 2010 at 4:46 AM  

Good color combination used, I like it. It really compliments on the color of the room. Can you share us more roman shades?
John Taylor
liverpool blinds Quick Tips to dress up your room without breaking the bank

Riky Martin April 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

Roller Blinds

There are many online companies offering good quality of blinds at affordable prices. And the best part is that here you can browse different online companies and can compare the prices of the blinds and can find best deal.

http://www.ultrasound-blinds.co.uk/

Ronda Jane April 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

The blinds are nice and I may just have to make some but I love the most that at the end you said "Bueller? . . . Bueller? . . ." I say or think that all the time and usually no one knows what in the heck I am talking about. I suppose you like Monte Python too. "Not quite dead yet! Actually I am feeling much better!"
Blessings. Ronda

Megan August 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM  

awesome tutorial and shades! I'm featuring this project on thursday the 5th on crazydomestic.com. Thanks for sharing your great idea. Feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP