We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

They've got a way! Guest Remodel Project

17 March 2010

Ronda from Batchelor's Way sent me this great bathroom transformation, links to part one and part two.  They used finds from the restore, goodwill stores and what she already had(my kind of remodeling!!)  I hope you enjoy the project!


We have been finishing our basement one room at a time, and we have just finished the boy's bathroom down there.  We do most of the work ourselves this helps us to be able to afford all our home improvement projects.  We also find less exspensive ways of doing things.  
Let me share our journey of the bathroom and how we saved.  We knew we wanted to tile the shower/tub walls because we wanted the tile to go all the way to the ceiling.  I don't know about you but my teenage sons, take the hottest showers so tile walls really help.  
Anyway, I priced the tile at about $200 at Lowes.  That was using mostly small plain tiles.  But then I went to the ReStore, (which is like a second hand home improvement store.)  That's were I got creative with the tiles I found there.  My hubby and I came up with what would work with what they had, and the tiles ended up costing us just over $60.  Savings of around $140.  SWEET!  I think they turned out wonderful.

  
I saved money on the paint even though I painted the bathroom twice.  First I painted it this light apple green.  Why? 'cause it was left over from the upstairs bathroom.  But there is no natural light in this room and it was glowing green like some sort of alien.  Then I took some leftover white I had and mixed it with some dark brown my sister had left over.  I really like how it turned out.  Both paints were free so I call the color Free Mocha. 
Next I picked up these floor tiles at a Black Friday sale at Lowes, $26 for the tile to cover the whole bathroom floor.  I convinced my hubby that we should lay them on the diagonal, I love the look.  We used dark grey grout for two reasons.  #1 grout will eventually end up that color, especially with teenage boys.  #2  We had to buy a bag which would cover more than that bathroom, so this color will work on our bathroom up stairs.  Two for the price of one. 
We planned on moving our mirror down there if we could get it off the wall in one piece, but we need storage.  After all, four boys will eventually share this one bathroom.  That solution came one day when we were shopping at DI, and found thes babies!  Two matching corner medicine cabinets for $10 bucks each!  I sanded them primed them, touched them up, painted the outside black, and put stone like contact paper on each shelf.  Instant storage that doesn't look to shabby!
Here's our mirror prior to moving.
Here's the finished product.
One of the high cost on any project tends to be the lighting.  Why light fixtures cost so much is beyond me.  But you know me, I don't pay those silly high prices.  I found this white light fixture at the ReStore for $5, still in the box brand spanking new.  I of coarse spray painted it black.  It did not come with the glass parts.  But I was patient.  And last week I found I found four perfect glass parts at DI for $1 each.  That's $9 totall for my light fixture.  We had picked one out at Lowes that was similar but cost $43.  That's a $34 savings.  Love it!!!
 
Here she is all painted and installed.  She looks good!
Decorating the bathroom on a small budget started with  inexspensive fabric from Walmart.  I used it to make a shower curtain.  It cost about $9 and I made it extra tall because I like the look and it keeps more water from spraying over the top.  The fabric had different surfboards all over it.  So, I gathered up what scrapbooking supplies I had in coordinating colors and made paper surf boards mounted on foam to give them a 3-D look.  Then I mounted the whole thing in some black frames I already had. 
Next I found this metal trash can at DI for $1.  I brought it home, taped it off and spray painted it (of course).
I plan on buying each boy their own color of towel.  Grey, black, brown, and tan.  That helps keep track of whose towel is whose. So far I've only purchased the grey ones.  I also like to use hooks instead of towel bars.  It's easier for kids I think.  I attached a piece of bias tape to make it easy to hang it on the hook.
I needed a hand towel holder but didn't have a very big space.  So we used an industrial handle and Spray painted it black.  I like it cause it holds the towel in place better when they are drying their hands.
Also, I just love this shelf above the toilet.  I got it for free from my lovely neighbor.  Only it was about four feet long.  So my wonderful hubby cut it in half and put it back together.  I added a short peice of one by two piece of wood behind the fancy supports to beef it up a little.  I just love it.  I wanted the shelf for a basket to fill with good old TP.  (At our house someone seems to always be yelling from behind the bathroom doors,  "Can someone bring me some TP?"  Hopefully this will help.)  I already had the basket.  I picked up the cute plaque I picked up at Salvation Army for $1.
 
   
 
The Final Product: 
 
That's our latest and greatest project.  I love it!  And I love that it's done!
Ronda, WOW! I am tired just thinking about it!

I am so impressed with all the great deals!  
What do you all think?

Now it's your turn.   Do you have a great remodeling project to show off, submit your projects to me today!

6 comments:

Unknown March 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

Wowsa! Love the light fixture- I'm going to have to show this to my mother!! See Mom- there are some good things on the internet :-)

Sonja @ Craft-Werk March 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Wow, love this bathroom DIY. very chic and yet still very suitable for boys. The surfboard pictures are cute, yet cool. Thanks for giving the lowdown on costs and saving - really inspiring!!!

Cindy March 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

What a great project and so inexpensive! I admire this lady, alot!
We remodeled our kitchen, but we had to totally gut it, change the ceiling, make a wall where a doorway was and put in beadboard, new appliances, new sink, new flooring, everything. It cost us close to $25,000. Hopefully it adds that much to the worth of our little bungalow. You visited my blog recently and left a nice comment, thankyou so much! Hugs, Cindy S.

Emily {Frilly Details} March 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

Love everything in this bathroom!!! What a great finished product! I really like the hooks and the towel holder. And that light is great!

Delia March 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

Very nice! I like the towel hooks and little bias tape on the towels with which to hang them! I will definitely use that.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP