We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Face Lift; Updating a Book Shelf

19 January 2010

I wonder, do you have one of these book cases? or one very like it?
Wanna give it a face lift? For $20.00 to $60.00

It's easy.... come check it out.



I had two of these babies. These cheap bookcases, are like the stepping stones to furnishing your house, it is almost a requirement that you own one at some point in your lifetime. I guarantee that most of you have one, more than one or have had one in the past... Am I right? ...well, maybe you are just cooler than me.

Moving on, for those of you that do have one, I have an idea for you. Actually, I have been working on this one off and on for about a month as part of my craft room makeover. Technically they weren't in the original plans. But, when I banished the exercise equipment from my craft room (see now I don't feel guilt about sitting on my rump crafting all day!!) I had all this extra room.

I decided to find all craft like objects and corral them into one room. ... is it okay to admit I am a bit of a "stuff to craft with" hoarder? And I had these thing in every spare closet... NO more!

Anyway, I had two of these book cases from my last house. Since moving here they had taken up residence in two closets. The other day (Christmas Eve to be exact) I thought it would be fun to have my sewing desk flanked by two book cases, but I am sorry to say, they looked ugly. That and showed too much of my junk.

Hence my makeover, so for your DIY pleasure. Now you too can make that 25.00 bookcase into a thing of beauty! I am not fully done, but when I reveal the full craft room, you'll see it all decked out.

What you need
Hand saw and miter box, or miter saw
4 pieces 6' foot long 1" x 2" mdf or pine plain square boards
wood glue
finishing nails and a hammer
paint
L bracket (to secure bookcase to wall)

(optional stuff)
4 wooden legs and screw plates
Piece of mdf same size as whole base of bottom of shelf unit
Doors-
A piece of 1/2" 4' x 8' mdf board, cut to width and length at the lumber store (I know H.Depot does this)
Small, most inexpensive baseboard approx 10' linear feet per door, 20' total!!
4 hinges
Top- (either)
Crown molding enough to wrap front and sides (optional)
or a piece of the 1/2" MDF (from doors) in the dimensions of the shelving unit plus 2 inches in length and 1 in width
Decorative paper for back

You could go more expensive on the wood, but it really wouldn't prove anything. The book case was only 25.00 after all, and you might as well save the money for something funner! (cause that's a word!)

This sounds a little complicated to begin with, but I promise it is not. I will show you our little scrap book of creating it, then I will show you the breakdown.

The bookshelves and all their junky glory- (there is a blanket in there that I have been crocheting for about 3 years...)



Now start collecting supplies:
If you choose to make doors, you can have them cut at the H.D.


Here are your 1 x 2's (which actually measure 1 1/2" x 1/2" don't ask me why)
Cut them to the lengths explained in worksheet (below).


If you would like to add legs, you will need a base piece that is the same measurements of the whole bottom of the bookcase. This way the weight of the book case won't be concentrated on just the bottom shelf, it will distribute to the sides as well.

You can purchase little legs and screw plates that are easy to install.


Cut the face frame pieces to their proper length according to you bookshelf dimensions. Begin to glue the pieces together at the corners. We clamped our because we own the large clamps, you can just hold them together for a few minutes and then let the wood glue dry for at least 30 minutes minimum. I added the arrows to show you what seams you glue, at each rail.


Now add your moldings to the mdf door.
Using your miter saw to fit it exact. (or as close as you can get)


By the way... I built the doors! I have proof. Dang hot!


We screwed the bookshelf onto the base platform through the bottom shelf (It won't show with doors).
Then nailed the face frame to the front of the shelves.


Now patch holes and caulk all large cracks, then paint.


Hang the doors. We found it was easiest to lay them on their back to hang the doors.

WARNING!!!
You need to attach the bookshelf to the wall with an "L" bracket
to keep it from tipping over on you or any climbing children!!
They usually come with the bookshelf when you buy it.
But if you don't have it you can buy a new one.
The doors make this a little heavy in the front so you cannot skip this step.

I decided to add some color to the back. I am not going to keep this particular paper.
I wanted to try it out til I can buy something else. It just feels a little juvenile, what do you think?

P.S. I didn't waste my time painting the inside of the shelves that are behind the doors,
since they have a laminate finish that looks just fine and is in good shape.


Here it is basically finished.
The final image will be revealed someday when I clean out and organize the craft room all the way!


Feel free to save the instruction for your own personal projects, but you may not reproduce them without my permission. If you would like to link to this project, please contact me! Thanks... We worked hard on this!





Instructions:
1st - Measure your book shelf.
My book shelf is 5' tall x 3' wide x 1' deep. Just to give you an idea.

2nd - Cut all wood to proper size
According to your shelf's dimensions!!

3rd Glue Face Frame together, assemble doors.

4th Install legs to base piece,
and bookcase to base platform.


5th Nail Face Frame to Bookcase,
Patch, caulk and paint all pieces.


6th Hang doors to face frame


7th Secure Book Case to wall.
Add any decorative touches you please!

Here is a little animation of how it all goes together. Thanks Honey!


Let me know if this was a useful idea?

Do you have any questions?

Please email me or drop me a comment!

54 comments:

Julie January 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

Wow very impressive. I love the look. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Sarah {The Student Knitter} January 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

I definitely have one of these, but even worse than white it's a pretty hideous dark fake paneling colour. bleh. I'm going to be needing a SERIOUS crafting upgrade on that soon and these were great ideas! Thanks! :)

autumn January 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

man, you DO look hot in safety goggles!!
i totally love this. they turned out so cute. i love that you were a little daring with the color and the fabric...that fabric is so fun!
and thanks for the detailed instructions.
you are so right about all of us having those cheap bookcases. my hubby and i made a pact about 6 years ago to stop purchasing "disposable" furniture. we had way too much laminate/mdf furniture at our house!
great post.
man, you have been busy. when you are sleeping?!

DeeAnna January 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Wow! That turned out great! It looks so Mid Century Modern to me! The L bracket is a MUST! I'm from earthquake country AND I have two monkey children so I know better!

Americana Lady January 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

What a great way to spice up those ugly yet functional bookcases! I do agree with you about the paper although it depends on the total makeover which I look forward to seeing. Thanks for a great tutorial!

Kirsten January 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Looks fantastic! It's funny, we just finished building wall shelves and making our own cabinet doors for them, using a similar method. It turned out great!

Joyeful January 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

Wow! What a transformation! And such a detailed tutorial to go along with it!! I love what you did!!

Pauline Wiles January 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

I'm enormously impressed. I've been flirting with the idea of getting a miter box for a while; I think you've inspired me to take the leap!

Kendall@ Finesse Your Nest January 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

You never cease to amaze me. Beautiful job! I love the color and the snappy little print in the back!

Karyn @ Candarbry Garden January 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

I was just thinking this would be a great project. I bought a flat screen television this year, and want to remove the UGLY television stand from my living room. You helped me to visualize what I need to do. Now, I am off to measure. I would like to create a link so if I do create it, I can link back to give you credit. (thanks) Karyn

Jane January 20, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Wow! I have two of those Billy Bookcases from IKEA that would work great for this tut. I may just have to do this!

Angie Holden January 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

I really like that!! And how did you know I had a bookcase like that????? ;)

Jamielyn January 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Wow thank you for this!! I have two of these EXACT ones in my office! I sooo want to try this! Thanks for the inspiration!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade January 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

What a transformation! It went from the cheap shelf to a chic 50's inspired piece. Paper is cheap and easy to replace so don't stress there. I work at a scrapbook store and I am thinking of all the cute paper there that would be cute in that cab. Now, do you think I could do this by myself?

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming January 20, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

Wow - genius! I love the doors and the legs - You did a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing! and yes I have a couple of these babies =)

Steph @ somewhatsimple January 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

I need all those tools! My husband has zero tools, so I am slowly building my collection! Those shelves look great!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans January 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

Wow!!! This is amazing! I love how it turned out! The step by step tutorial is AWESOME too! Thanks so much!

Andrea on Third Street January 21, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

I think this book case is awesome!! I'd love to do this with mine. (Yes, you were right, I have one, too).

Little Lovables January 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

great job! a piece of burlap or linen, or even a raised filigree like wallpaper would look pretty in place of the paper.

Bea January 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

I never would have thought to put legs on the bookcases. They look great!

Teresa January 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

Oh my goodness, love it. You guys are amazing I will be showing this to my hd....it may be out next project.
Thank so much for sharing.!

Threeundertwo January 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

I confess I have two of these puppies. You are so inspiring!

Thanks for linking up to Finished for Friday!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog January 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

I had to do a serious doubletake to see how you could have possibly come up with that new look. It looks amazing!

Unknown January 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Fabulous. Takes me back to when Christopher Lowell had his show. He was forever adding molding to bookcases and turning them into great pieces. Love your tutorial.
And the video? Amazing. If you don't mind, I'd love to know how you did that - only for my flower painting kits. Thanks!

Michelle January 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Love, love, love how this project turned out! I have a few bookcases of my own just begging for a transformation like this. Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial!

KimMalk January 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Nice job. I have three, yes three, of those shelves in my garage right now! I'll have to decide if I want to give them this cool upgrade...

Andy Porter January 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

That's so impressive...and major props for building the doors yourself! I have one of those bookcases...I guess I won't toss it out after all. Thanks for linking! You always have such incredible ideas!

Andy
Poppies at Play

Ellen January 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

Wow, fabulous. It looks great! I love the new doors. I just did something like that to a hutch and used decorative paper --- well, more like Christmas wrapping paper....!

Jessica Stier January 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM  

Fantastic!!! I love them. You did such a great job on the tutorial too.

I do have one question. I have tried to paint those bookcases before and it never turned out well. What kind of paint did you use? Did you sand them down before you painted?

Thanks! I came here from Skip to my Lou.

Frugal Home Designs January 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

That looks great. Unfortunatley my last bookcase like that collasped a couple of month ago! I will have to be on the look out for one at the Goodwill. Great job.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence January 27, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

You wouldn't even know this is the same bookcase--and such detailed instructions, thanks for linking up!

Miss Mustard Seed January 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Big wow! Look at your, girl, with your power tools and stylin' protective gear. The two of you did a wonderful job taking this ho-hum bookcase and making it a special piece of furniture. Your tutorial is well done as well. Thanks for participating in FFF. I just love your blog and look forward to seeing more.

Amy @ Design-Aholic January 31, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

I love it! I can't wait to see YOUR craft room too!! The brown color is nice as well.

Thanks for linking up your victory for VOTW @ Design-Aholic. Make sure to come back again, I can't wait to see what you have next!

-Amy

Natalie April 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

those are amazing! I really want a built in type entertainment center for our bohemeth of a tv, but of course, can't afford one. We have a stand, but all of the bookcases are UGLY or $$. This would be aweomse!

Do you think you could use the premade cabinet doors instead of building your own if you find the right size?

paperkite May 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Fabulous! Just the kind of details I've been looking for!! Thank you. :)

Unknown December 18, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Hi from a fellow Texan! Love the final look of these sooo much better than the original *ugly* bookcase we all own. Since I am a little more *tacky* than you I would have made the doors tackboards so I could totally crap up the fronts sticking up notes and swatches, but otherwise LOVE the idea :)

The Evett Family January 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

Hey I am wondering if this bookshelf was that fake wood? If it was how did it take paint? I want to do this to my bookself and I want to paint the dreser we have but they are both fake wood. I am scared it will bubble. Did it for you?

Remodelaholic January 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM  

Hey Jess-

I wanted to answer your question about the bookshelf, and make sure you got it... I will copy this onto my blog too.

Anyway, I did have some problems with the paint, not bubbling but pealing later on.

I should have SANDED first! I totally didn't and it should have been pointed with an oil based paint, sprayed or brushed on..

I never prime oil based, I have never had luck with primer, (unless it is oil based...) Just make sure that if you paint them with oil that you are in a well ventilated area and that you wear a mask...

Good luck!

I am actually thinking about trying to repaint these babies, and changing them up a bit already... so I may be doing the same thing soon!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP