We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

On reflection...Making a Mirror

18 December 2009

About a month ago my friend Em called me asking about remodeling.   Her husband was going out of town for the weekend, and she had HUGE plans for the master bed and bath.  She was wondering if she could do it all, and she was very hopeful.  Since she knew that Justin and I have been doing things like this for almost 8 years now, she was hoping to get an idea of time and cost.

I went over to have a look.  While the ideas were fabulous, the time was short.  So, I talked her into a few basic changes, for the moment.  She is after all, the busy mom of three and had only three days.  Instead of the huge design, we talked about painting each room, the vanity, a piece of furniture or two, adding curtains, hanging art, and accessorizing. 

One thing she really wanted to do was get rid of the huge double vanity mirror.  She was worried though about having to repair the wall.  While looking at the mirror I was immediately struck with a genius idea.  I asked for a screwdriver and climbed up on her counter top, yeah, we are that good of friends, in my defense, I wasn't wearing shoes... I think, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I unscrewed the little mirror clip at the top of her huge bathroom mirror, and found out that it was not glued to the wall (score definitely no repair).  Once I was sure, I had to share my genius idea (that I have now been planning on using for my own similar mirror at home). 

If she removed this mirror and glued it to a sheet of OSB approx. $5.00 (cut to size at Home Depot or Lowes) with some builders adhesive approx $4.00 and then wrapped it with some molding approx $1.00 per linear foot, it could be leaned against one of the walls in her huge bedroom.  

In essence, for a total of no more that $30 dollars she could have a $300.00+ mirror not unlike these examples:

This is from Jennifer's house at The Old Painted Cottage
Thanks Jordan for helping me remember the source!
(this black mirror is available is on sale for a cool $720.00 uh gulp!  Normally $1139.00)

Anyway, by building this framed mirror it would accomplish two things.  Give her a huge new piece for her remodel, with almost no cost and get rid of the huge mirror where she didn't want it.  She loved the idea.  A day later, when her husband had left we came over and took down the mirror.

And, well, actually Justin ended up building the frame for them.  It was harder than it would have been at our house...  Tools are like your old friends, you know them and how to use them, where you store them and on and on.  So figuring out someone else's system took a while.  But after a few hours we had a beautiful mirror all put together.

So here is a partial picture of the before:
Here it is with a frame in place!  Too cool.

If you would like to see it all click the whole remodel story.  I can't wait til we get going on our master bath and I get to make my very own!!!  Stay tuned, although it may be until next summer honestly, but we have plenty to do until then!  Sigh....

Here is the tutorial for how we built the mirror:
(please excuse my rough sketches we didn't take photos!)
ps If you don't have a huge bathroom mirror you could try one of those old sliding closet doors!


Here is the printable instruction sheet.  Just save the image.  You may have my permission to use this for your own home projects but not on your personal blog without first contacting me.   Thank you!

You should also check out our other cool how to tutorials!


Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won't try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what is going on in our family life.

51 comments:

sarah December 18, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

I love that mirror in the first one! It's from the home of Jennifer at theoldpaintedcottage.blogspot.com. { I adore her kitchen too!} I need a huge mirror too, I've decided...

I'm also contemplating doing this to a sliding mirrored closet door. Hmmmm.... the possibilities!

Durkovich December 18, 2009 at 1:05 PM  

Hey remodelholic...thanks for your help! As said husband of said remodel, I was very appreciative of the help you and your handy husband gave my wife. She is very awesome and creative (like you), and it makes me feel good to know we have good enough friends to run over on a whim and help her out. Thanks for not letting her hurt herself or spend too much money...unnecessarily:) I can't wait to see what you guys with your bathroom...and of course give me a call if you need help:)

Its So Very Cheri December 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

I would love to be featured on your blog. I am always working on some prohect--I just can't sit still very long-except to blog.

Cheri
ItsSoVeryCheri.blogspot.com

Brandi December 19, 2009 at 7:32 AM  

What a brilliant idea! I love when people think of creative ways to use old pieces. Great job! Loving your site -- just stopped in from SITS and I'll be back soon!

KimMalk December 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

I have a mirror leaning on my wall in the closet from a remodel - I've been wanting to get it out of there. Thank you for the brilliant idea!

Erin December 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Great idea! Wish I had an old mirror to take down & do that to. Too many of those giant mirrors get broken & thrown away. Looks amazing!

michelle@somedaycrafts December 30, 2009 at 6:48 AM  

GORGEOUS! wILL you please be my friend? I am going to feature this tomorrow at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. This should drive you some traffic and hopefukky get you more followers!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking December 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM  

Absolutely genius! I see free bathroom mirror for free on Craigslist all the time. I'm going to have to grab the next one I see. Thanks!

Unknown January 15, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Wow, what a detailed tutorial. You go! :) The mirror looks great! Thanks for linking up!

Miss Mustard Seed January 15, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

It looks really great and I love your drawings and directions. This was a great use for a huge bathroom mirror. Nice work!

Annie January 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

What an awesome idea! they sell these big mirrors for around $30 at our hardware store - I may a new project!!

René January 15, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

Great way to use that mirror! Thanks for taking the time to draw it out for us too.

Unknown January 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Looks great, I have also saw one that was made from a mirrored sliding closet door. It was huge.
Sandy

Brittany April 14, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

I love floor mirrors, and was thinking about making one myself. Yours turned out fabulous, and looks great!

CIELO April 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

I love the idea of mirrors againts a wall they look wonderful... thank you for participating in our "Show Off Your Cottage Monday"... would love to see our link here too! ;)

cielo

Vicky April 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

LOVE IT! My 14yo daughter needs a mirror like this! I am going to try adn find one at the thrift store to redo! FUN!

Rashon Carraway April 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

This sucks. I saw a perfectly good mirror for $10 at Goodwill. I wanted it, but I dont have the appropriate tools to cut a frame...and it was too large to fit in the car.

Sad.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting
http://g-w-hunting.blogspot.com

Unknown April 27, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

Super job..and HUGE savings! :) Thanks for linking up to Anything Related!
~Bridgette

The Charm of Home April 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

Oh, I love that you have printable instruction sheets! How nice of you to offer that. Very clever.

Katie April 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

I have actually done this in my head before!! Looks great! This may be a summer time project for me- easy, inexpensive and looks great! The only thing is I'd need to be ready with what will replace the big nasty mirror... thanks for the instructions!!

Room to Inspire April 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM  

The mirror looks great - thanks for the tutorial and for linking up to Be Inspired today!

Chelsea

Parenting in blue jeans April 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

I'm just laughing at myself. I saw the floor mirror post at Things I Love Thursday...Diaper Diaries and clicked on it and it's you...always you. I swear I think I'm starting to stalk your blog! Yikds.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden April 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Looks great. It's so funny...I loved that photo from the Old Painted Cottage, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it when I went back to try to find it! I am definitely bookmarking it now.

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence April 30, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

What a wonderful, substantial piece that adds so much to a room. Thanks so much for linking up to my Under $100 party!

TidyMom April 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

I just LOVE this idea!
Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It!! Have a GREAT weekend!

Olivia April 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

That is too cool! It makes me almost wish we had one of those huge mirrors. Ooh! My mom has one; maybe I could convince her to remodel!
suchakingdom.blogspot.com

Three Birds Inspired May 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM  

My parents saved the huge wall mirror that had hung in their bathroom. NOW I know what to do with it! Thanks for the great idea and inspiration!!

Life in Rehab May 1, 2010 at 9:56 AM  

How did I miss this? Thanks for putting it on Tatertots and Jello so I could catch up! I thought I'd gone through all of your projects.

Erica May 1, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Hi! Stopping over from Tatertots and Jello. I love the mirror, and think it would work great from sliding glass doors.
-Mama E
www.homeandheartsblog.com

Kimm May 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

Hi:
Just recently found your blog and love it. Wouldn't you know I had an old bathroom mirror hanging out on my back patio from when we redid our guest bathroom. I got to work. I have a question for you. When you glue the mirror onto the OSB board, the mirror sits higher. When you glue the molding onto the OSB board, the molding doesn't lie flat with the mirror, it sits at an angle. What did you do about the gap?

Thanks!
Kimm

Remodelaholic May 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Kimm, it has been a while since we built this, but if you nail the inside molding to the outside wrapped molding with the mirror space intact it should sit flat.

This is hard to explain, (if you were to cut through the side would look like a "T" not just an "L") I hope that helps, if you need more help just email me and we can try to figure it out.

I hope that helps, I would still add the adhesive behind this, so that it hold together!

Good luck!

Lori May 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

Very cool..

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

Threeundertwo May 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I never would have thought of this! You are a great friend and a bit of a genius. I always love visiting this blog. Thanks for joining in on Finished for Friday.

Expressions by Heather May 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

Great tutorial- mirrors are SO expensive to buy already framed, and for what? Some wood and glass?

Your post was tied with another one for the most clicks during last week's Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family, and is on of this week's featured projects!

Thank you for participating in Talented Tuesday! I look forward to seeing more projects!

HB, The Impulsive Minimalist May 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

Love this! Such a nice, modern mirror :) Great job!

Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

Miss Mustard Seed May 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Very cool project! This is such a great way to get that look for less. Great idea.

Kristi Flanagan May 6, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Excellent job! And - a much nicer price tag! Love it!

Thanks for planting your creative seed at Plant a Punkin Seed Party! Come plant again on Friday!

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP