We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Master Bath; Retro Remodel Asheville House

01 January 2010

In Asheville North Carolina we had a really small house barely 1,000 square feet and no budget to speak of.  So, when Justin's office all but shut down and laid off over 20 people we had to find a job, and fast... which also meant that we had a ton of remodeling to do in about a month.  This project was one of them, our tine master bath it was about 5 feet wide by 8 ft long.  It seemed even smaller with the tiny 1 sink cabinet and large storage closet, so we had to do a bit of deconstruction, and I love how it turned out.

Like I said we had almost no budget and a few things got left out of the remodel, but it is still lovely.

Here are the before images:




First long before we actually began the remodel, we removed the base cabinet under the sink.  We reused it in the kitchen.  (Just rebuilt the whole body and just used the face frame and doors, don't worry we cleaned it really well and painted it!). This is a picture of him removing it and installing it in the kitchen,
here is a link to the full kitchen remodel story.


Here is the room in the midst of cleaning it out completely
(besides the shower, which I would have like to tile, but we didn't get the chance)
Notice the large mirror.  We got this on Asheville freecycle!  I love freecycle

did the tiling.  It was a hot day, so I set up a little oasis for cutting the tile.  I think it is pretty funny!

I decided to do a brick pattern which I think is much more interesting than just regular tile.  It wasn't any harder either, and it made the floor look a little more custom.  The most exciting part about the tile was that I found it on clearance at the Home Depot for $1.65 a BOX!!!  (11 sq feet each box!)

The bathroom cost us about 5.00 total for the tile!
Justin built our new cabinet base.  I LOVE it!  I wanted t to be open and tall, and he filled my requests perfectly.  We actually were able to use all recycled wood.  Our church was being remodeled and the old window casings were removed and we asked the man in charge, and he let us take them.  Free!!! Doesn't that just sound beautiful. 
I patched sanded and painted the whole table.  Then we bought a double sink top it was just a plain white one from home depot for about 200.00?  I think...
Here is the room painted a light tan, and the ceiling is a robin egg blue. 
The base moldings were just installed and we still have the crown and the fixtures to install.

Okay one quick reminder of the before:


Final:
If I had more time I would have framed in the mirror at least.

So, What do you think?
Do you have any questions?  Let me know!

34 comments:

Sue January 1, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

I think that framing out the mirror will really bring it to life and make it much more custom looking. Great job on a frugal budget! We start work on the upstairs guest bath next month- depends on the contractor's schedule. Cannot wait for changes. It is always so much harder for me to complete a project for me than for a client. Why is that?! LOL

Happy New Year~ Sue

Carrie January 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

I love it-as usual! I love that you reuse so much. I love the open cabinet!

Blue Creek Home January 1, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

It looks like a brand new bath!
You guys did a great job on the tile and I'm lovin' the vanity and the white window valance and shower curtain.
I'm following...folla back!!!! Yep, I sorta stole that from Gwen!!!
Rhonda

Kelee Katillac January 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

Simple, fresh and lovely--all you need in a bathroom!

Thanks for the inspiration....

love, kelee

The Arrrrrgalls January 1, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

We are getting ready to replace the tub/shower in our second bathroom. The "plastic" one they put in is already cracking. So we want to put in a real tub, and tile. Brint want's to "do it ourselves", but I got to say I am pretty nervous about it. Of course I totally thought of you guys, and wish you were her to give us pointers. So we are off to Home Depot and Lowes to price things out. I'll let you know how things go!!

ch January 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Wow this is great! I love the open cabinet! Wonderful transformation!

The Wife of a Fisherman January 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

Love the remodel. The cabinet looks great, and i love how you used the old one above the fridge. Great job!!

momstheword January 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

It looks awesome. You and your hubby are so creative. I looked around a bit and am looking forward to lots more! Oh, and your baby girl is precious!

~ Nan

Katie January 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

Our master bath is super tiny as well so we'll have to get creative when we remodel it. Did you find that you missed the storage closet? Also did you always have just a curtain in the shower? Our current shower is tiled (and then painted with crappy paint that is flaking off more and more everytime I clean it) and is about 6 inches shy of a full size tub but has sliding glass doors. I'm thinking of getting rid of the doors (they're got lovely flamingos etched into them) and doing a curtain. Think that's smart choice?

Katie

Treasia Stepp January 2, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

So happy to have found your blog. I love the bathroom redo. I love the price for the tile even more.

Brandi January 2, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! The bathroom turned out great. I love the open cabinet and double sinks! :) Great job!

Remodelaholic January 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

Hey Katie,

About the shower curtain, my answer would really depend. I have had both a glass door and a shower curtain (in different houses) If the glass and surround is nice, I would probably keep it. If it is crappy and really old I may just get rid of it.

First, I would try to razor off the flamingos, if there was no way to get them off, it would be a total goner, for sure!!!

But just fyi, I have never had a hard time with shower curtains, but I like the streamlined look of glass doors.

If the metal is an ugly finish you might be able to take it out refinish it and reinstall it. There was a great idea of how to do this, on a website called the diyshow off. Here is the article link: http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/2009/12/painting-faucets-and-painted-floor.html I am not sure how well it will hod up though, we will just have to see!

Hope that helps.

Cass

Jen January 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM  

Wow you guys did a great job. I too love doing home improvement jobs.

Happy Saturday Sharefest.

Ms. Sarah January 2, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

hi
stopping in from sits. I will be following your blog for ideas :) we are going to be doing a bunch of projects this coming year.

Lettered Cottage January 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

I LOVE your re-do! That vanity base is to die for.

And thanks for linking up to our little party- you rock!

Kevin and Layla :-)

Kathy January 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

What a great re-do. Love the table-turned-sink-vanity! Great team work.
Happy New Year...Kathy

Pearl Maple January 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

Nicely done, having the opportunity to make your own style statement about your space is great fun.

Cindy January 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

That looks great! I love the vanity! It makes it so much more update!!!

Old Time Cindy January 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

Love the changes! Way to go with using free and inexpensive materials.
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Anonymous,  January 4, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Looks wonderful! I am still in shock that you got the 200 by 2010! I tried for 100 and didn't make it! LOL

Charity January 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

I have a master bath about this size now and this gives me hope, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous,  January 4, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

This remodel really proves that sometimes less is more. The simple design of the vanity is stunning and looks so very functional. Congratulations on a job very well done.

Julie January 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

Beautifully done! Love the cabinet! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Peggy January 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

what a difference!
I really like the recycled wood for the vanity!
The colors are so calming and the crown molding is such a nice way to "top it off" (ha, ha)
I'm totally showing this to my husband as we start making plans for our bath

Candace January 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

Well done! You guys are amazing- I can't believe the transformation took only a month!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP