We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Diamond in the Rough

12 November 2009

We bought an old sewing machine table at Salvation army a few years ago.  I really liked the size and shape, but haven't taken the time to spiff it up. 

A few days ago, while I was day dreaming about being able to afford all new furniture, I realized, who needs that when you have a can of spray paint and a napping baby! 

It took just a day.  I sanded off the top, and a quick once over on the base.  I taped the top off, and spray painted the base.  I did 3 or 4 coats.  To make sure it was all smooth and did a quick sand between coats (this really makes the finish look so much better, I promise, it is worth it)  For the top I used Watco, staining wax finish that I had from some old nightstand that I built in wood shop class in college.  

Now,  I am just kicking myself for how long a waited to do this.  I could have been happier a long time ago!

Before:




After:


You likey? 
Tell me about your impressions, on the table,
 life,
the economy,
 whatever,
 you know I love comments!


12 comments:

andrea wardle November 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

I have my second sewing table sitting in my garage to get painted when I get the chance. I found my first one at DI years ago and painstakingly refinished it. But it is one of my favorite pieces! I really like the two-toned look you made. Very nice!

Andrea November 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

i LOVE it!!!! and it goes perfectly w/ the "new" chair! we found a similar table a long time ago and gave it to my sister, who has never done anything w/ it - i just might have to take it back!

David and Christine November 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

i love it! I have four chairs that I plan on recovering but I am terrified to paint over the beautiful wood. I know I have to in order for it to match our kitchen table or maybe it would be better to get a new kitchen table...hmmm.

But I love what you did with the sewing table, it's beautiful!

Unknown November 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

Looks great! That's awesome that you were featured on better after. Looks like a cool blog. I'll have to check it out!

Lew November 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

Looks great, Cass! I love seeing all of your project before and afters. So fun. Love ya!

Marsha November 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

I have the same sewing table here. I use it for my plants. Do you want to refinish mine? Just kidding. Thanks for the wonderful idea. You did a fabulous job!

Carrie November 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

I love it! I am such a huge fan of spray paint. I really want to paint my sleigh bed black but people keep talking me out of it. I will get the guts some day...

Amy November 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

I love projects like this!! It's great to have beautiful things at low prices.

And thanks for the tip on sanding inbetween coats...never would have done that, but now I know to.

I learn so much from all your projects.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP