We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Fly the Coop

20 June 2009

This blog has been a long time in coming.

I have just been putting it off. We've actually been done with the coop itself for about 3 or 4 weeks, oops. I don't want to forget to record some things, so here are some pics of building the coop, the chicks as they've been growing up and our 2 new lovely ladies (Libby and Sun)

We have the run in the back, it still needs to be painted, but for now, with this heat, there is no way on earth I am painting! We have the big girls in the run to keep them away from the babies until everyone is friendly. (We've collected our first dozen of eggs this week! What a thrill!)

So here are the pics:
This was our baby chicks first outing! Aren't they adorable! I can't believe how much they changed and grown.

Here they are again a few weeks later getting all their feathers, and loosing their fluff, which you can see in patches mostly on their heads.


Here is some of the stages of completion for the coop
(if you'll remember the barn raising post, that left off at the walls)
Justin installing the roof.
I guess I forgot to photograph the siding install. I am really happy because we were able to "reduce, reuse and recycle" for about everything on this project. Justin collected all the 2 x 4 from people who were spring cleaning. So that was free. We only had to buy the flooring and roofing material and 2 sheets of siding. We actually used some siding from our neighbor too.
Of course when I actually helped, paint and caulk it all we didn't get photos either.
Here is an image of the front door. Santiago our neighbor was ripping out an old hot tub surround and gave us the old deck and a bunch of randoms, wood misc. This door was one of the things he gave us. I had Justin add the "X" and we moved the hinges to the side, but it is so adorable now. I would like to get an old piece of weathered wood and paint "EGGS 5 cents" (I can't find the cents symbol on my keyboard....) Then hang the sign in the upper portion of the door!
Again we talked to our neighbor Santiago, who has all the best connections. He introduced us to a contractor friend of his and he got us a deal on all our roofing needs- shingles, felt, nails and fascia drip stuff all for only $30.00. A square of roofing at home-dumpot runs around $25.00 (he gave us 2 squares, plus everything else! Score!)
We wanted to have a vent on the upper tower to keep airflow without any water problems. We checked out our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore to see what they might have we could use. First we saw some vent covers but finally found some prefect shutters for $8.00. I painted them and Justin cut them down and installed them. I think they really add to the quaintness of the structure.
Here is the finished coop. Sorry about the colors, Justin had to work until late in the nights to get anything done, so I usually got pictures around dusk.
On the window side Justin made some adorable shutters, out of scrap woods. Here they are shut:
And opened:
There are interior shutters to keep the chicks in, but get some good breezes during the day.
And finally here it is with the chicken run. I am planning on painting the fencing white. This fencing was also from Santiago. We need to invite him over to dinner!! (the old back fence, I am planning on staining a dark charcoal grey). Justin wants me to paint the siding a color, which will probably be a lighter grayish color, or maybe I'll get creative and go brighter!
Finally here are the babies today:

And here are the new gals:

15 comments:

MammaMelgar June 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

I have weathered wood under the barn. I don't know whats down there but your welcome to come look. Your coop looks great. Ya'll did an amazing job!

Lew June 20, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I really can't get over how talented y'all are!!!! Seriously, it looks incredible! I've been waiting to see the final product and was so excited to see your post. Great job!!

InkMom June 20, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Your chickens have a nicer house than I do.

And how strange -- I can't find the "cent" symbol on my keyboard, either. When did that disappear?!?!?

Drake, Rachel and Olivia June 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

It looks great!!! SO cute! You guys are amazing. I have said it before...you all should have your own show on HGTV! BTW I updated my blog and it showed up a day later on yours...wierd!

Shawn and Julie Yates June 21, 2009 at 10:52 PM  

What a fabulos chicken coop Cass! You're SO dang cute pregnant, I just love it. I actually talked to Emily Durkovich today... What a fun baby shower you had!!!! She had actually given me her number back in April so I could add my little tidbit of advice to your book, but unfortunately I I had fallen off the face of the blogging earth so I didn't get it until today. Anywhoo, Will you give me a call when you have a few minutes to chat? 801.657.2288 Thanks, Love ya!!
~Julie :)

Melissa June 22, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

Cassity,

First of all, your chicken coop is AMAZING!!! I totally agree with the above comment, you and Justin should have your own show on HGTV!!! Wow, I am so impressed!!

Secondly, thanks for the great advice. I will definitely be asking Cory for a blessing!!!

The Arrrrrgalls June 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

Isn't it fun to have chickens. Those girls really work hard, and we just love ours. Who'd knew that I would go such a love for chickens and bees these past two years!! Such a labor of love! Great job on the "chick" house , I love it!

Carrie June 23, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

I am packing my bags to come live with the chickens! Get some of your ice cream sandwich's ready! By the way didn't you make the home made laundry detergent? If so how do you like it? I am very tempted to try it but with Jake's sensitive skin I want to make sure it will be okay.

The Wright Fam June 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

As always, I am so impressed!! Your chicken coop is adorable, it looks like something out of a country living couture (sp?) magazine!! How fun that you have your own chickens and eggs!! How are you feeling? You are getting closer...so exciting!

Emmy June 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

I love it! I've been thinking about chickens myself for next year. I'm seriously impressed with your coop. You must be a designer ;).

ivonne April 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

Do share the plans for that awesome coop you built? we've love to have chickens but coops are so expensive. please help. thanks


Ivonne

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP