We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Manifesting FREE Furniture

22 April 2009

If any of you have read "The Secret" you may understand what I mean by manifesting good. (by the way I actually really liked the book- it is in video form too, so I hear)


I have been needing a dresser, but not wanting to spend the money, so I have been manifesting a good deal.
While checking out some garage sales one random Friday morning, I happened by a dresser, on the side of the road. FREE!! Not even at one of the sales, and I was already on my way home. I packed it carefully in my car, cuz, I'm prego, and helpless...urgh (toward the helpless part!!)
It was a little sad, well, a lot sad actually. It was highly offensive really, uglier than I can stand. But -I just knew it could be good. I mean- check out that faux marble finish? Huh?.. Huh? Nice!
And the Aztec inspired handles that are the size of flying saucers?
I showed Justin- he was not impressed. But I had more faith in our abilities.
The state of things was bad, first, one drawer was in about 4 pieces, missing the whole bottom. Another drawer was falling apart. The front of the Dresser was missing a few of the rails on the face frame (the horizontal pieces that run between the drawers). And lets be honest it was just plain ugly.

This Saturday we got to work. Justin had a bit more work than he planned. The prior owner had tried to repair the drawer before, with HOT GLUE, so he had to scrap that out. Then re-route a groove for the new bottom, that was a bit thicker. Wood glue, some staples and presto we had a drawer. Then he had to do that again. After that, he replaced the missing rails.



Meanwhile, I sanded. This was not my smartest move. I was outside wearing a mask, but afterward I was like- Oh holy cow! what if there is lead in that paint?! Rest assured though, I researched the manufacturing company, an American based company and the date of the piece was April 1999, so I should be safe- But I promise, I won't do it again!
I did however spray paint, but I contacted the company first about hazards. Then I did it outdoors with gloves, mask and safety glasses.
The spray painting technique I used is actually a favorite. We use a really cheap flat black. Put on two coats til dry (if in a hot area I only wait an hour or so) then with a fine grit sanding block, sand in one direction to burnish the finish, then wipe in the same direction with a wet rag, followed up by a dry rag (all wiping and sanding in the same direction). Repeat painting, sanding and wipe off, then, if needed repeat again. I don't go crazy on the corners, so it doesn't look distressed. But is has a slight shine and a fabulous finish.
We did spend about 16.00 on new handles but I figured it was worth the investment, in a piece that can last our child through the years.

Oh man, aren't those cool handles? We even put it in Etta's room (technically, it is in her closet) But, last night I took my time folding all the wonderful girl clothes that I got from Donelle! THANK YOU- I am so excited for playing dress up!

12 comments:

A Tale of Three April 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

Holy Cow!! That looks fabulous! And to think, I would have left it on the side of the road...

Marsha April 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

That is gorgeous. I am with the first commenter though. i would have totally left it on the side of the road. Who would have thought it could look so fabulous with a little elbow grease.

The Wright Fam April 22, 2009 at 10:08 PM  

Again...I am amazed!! I would have never guessed that was the same dresser! That's awesome! I love the new blog look too by the way- the header is way cool!

Drake, Rachel and Olivia April 22, 2009 at 11:34 PM  

GOOD GRAVY, you two are incredible. I told Drake you both should have your own TV show all about your adventures in thriftyness! Good work!!!

andrea wardle April 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

I need to channel you... since I'm moving, I want to trash all my old furniture and start fresh. Maybe I'll just fly you up here for a week... That dresser looks great, and you can't beat free!

CourtneyB April 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Wow - that is night and day! It's amazing that you can see the possibilities in what someone else would think was a piece of junk, and then actually have the ability to follow through and make it a reality! Way to go! (:

Carrie April 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

You ROCK! Now here is a test for you: What can you do with the big Aztec inspired handles that are the size of flying saucers?... You probably already throw them away, but I bet if you hadn't you could have made something awesome with those bad boys! :-)

partypooperspoyfair April 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

Your dresser looks great! I love to do things like that do- I just wish my husband did too. Its usually me and Callie doing it in the garage. By the way I have a square wood coffee table I am putting out on the curb this coming weekend- its up for grabs!

C. Leah April 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

Okay, I will agree...you need your own show!! :) And I would TOTALLY watch it!

I. LOVE. that. dresser. (the new and improved way) ;)

aklatina April 18, 2010 at 1:55 AM  

WOW Thats NICE! Ill have too take a second look at the free section on craigslist I saw some AWFUL dressers there too! hehe

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP