We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Visit to the lowcountry

14 September 2008

WARNING: THIS BLOG MAY CONTAIN A MILLION PICTURES, THAT REALLY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT THE FACT THAT THE BLOGGER HAD A HAY DAY WHILE ON VACATION AND COULDN'T STOP.
Well, after weeks..... and weeks.... and weeks, of 14 hour-a-day hard labor, we decided it was high time we went on a vacation.
So we packed a cooler,

fixed the flats on our bikes

and took off in our cruiser, with a few cds and new book (for me to read while Justin drove - thanks honey - speaking of honey it was "The Secret Life of Bees", a gift from my friends Lauren and Karen, you should all pick up a copy) to Charleston South Carolina.

We have been wanting to see it for a while and are seriously running out of time, so we just did it! And let me just warn you now- we took 700 pictures, and I am not exaggerating, 700! Yikes! So, as you can imagine, it has taken me a while to narrow them down and I still have too many! But it is my blog, so if you don't want to look, its your choice!

Our first walk around town
__________________________

Its all in the details....

Even some modern architecture. Great romantic atmosphere...



Don't get your feet too wet!
___________________________

We saw some fun fountains.


Let's Eat
_______________________
Dining out was a fun time. The very first night we went to Hymans. YOU MUST GO TO HYMANS! I loved my meal so much that every meal thereafter, I was tempted to go back and have the same thing. After I had taken a few bites, I realized it had to be documented, for posterity's sake and so here it is -Shrimp and Grits like nothing else in the world:
(and also quite possibly the best hushpuppies in the world) We also found a Bubba-Gump's Shrimp and like the tourists we are we went. It had a fun touristy atmosphere and the food was decent but I must admit I don't even really like this movie, although I do love the soundtrack!
Southern Belles
_____________________________

There are all sorts of beautiful Estates and plantations in Charleston. Although most if not all of the original plantations were destroyed during the civil war, there are some great survivors. We actually toured one huge garden/estate and about 5 houses.

My favorite was the Aiken-Rhett House. Although that may not be anyone else favorite and is a bit of a strange choice, because they decided to not actually update anything in the house. They have just left it in the condition they found it, so it is a mish-mash of styles and in several states of disrepair- but it is totally my kind of house. It reminds me of remodeling our first house and the fun things you find under layer after layer of junk! (But we weren't allowed to photograph any of the interiors of the houses so you will have to content yourself with the Middleton Garden)

Middleton Place




The Spanish moss is so beautiful. Although it is neither Spanish, nor moss so I always think that is funny, they should call it Southern Lace.


Yes, look at that HUGE spider. This is maybe the 5th HUGE spider that I saw in a total of 10 minutes. In fact, upon entering the garden, literally no more than 5 feet in I saw a spider twice as big as this one with a body 2 inches long, and I am NOT exaggerating, I was creepy-crawly for about 30 minutes.
Justin captured this picture(below). I LOVE it! This couple is hilarious. I don't know what he said to her, but he's in the dog house for sure! I'm thinking chocolate might do the trick.



The owner of Middleton place did not build his home in the usual southern plantation style. When asked where his colonnade of pillars were, he planted this huge row Magnolias to fill the bill.




I feel like I look really old in this picture! Weird! Am I really an adult? I guess I shouldn't ask this question, I am sure my dad is saying no, you are not. (love you dad)

I love this picture, the colors are fabulous!
This is actually the only part of the house that remains, the main house was burned and the left hand flanking building as well. This is the right flank, or something like that.

Drayton Hall
We actually were allowed to take pictures in here. But I think I am only sharing one.


Catch a Wave
and You're sitting on top of the world
_____________________________________
We spent an afternoon on Folly Beach. I love the beach!

The Cooper River Bridge
__________________________
This was the bridge to the next little town where we stayed, Mt Pleasant.
Hey, it was cheaper and we got to do more stuff! We dream on a budget, but at least we dream!

Where the war began
_______________________
We went to Fort sumter on a ferry. It was an interesting trip and we got to learn a bit about the beginnings of the civil war.

This is me pointing out the UFO over Charleston.This is the UFO.
Here it is again in case you think we somehow did something weird to get the image.
(okay, so actually it was a U.S. naval light that aligns with Fort Sumter for positioning from sea or something like that, I was hoping it was something cooler, and it was a bit strange to see such a bright light in the middle of the day....)


We shamelessly ripped off the idea for this picture from a friends blog! Thanks Kim and Corey! (We salute you!) for the great idea, although we may have to work on it to perfect it. Yours was much cooler!






City Manors
___________________________
Here is a picture or two of the houses we toured or just liked, I forgot to photograph a few, I know is that even possible, that with this many pictures I forgot to photograph something? Alas it is. Actually Friday morning we were going to walk around town just to photograph things, but with Hurricane Hanna coming we decided to get the heck outta dodge.




I wanted to do a whole series of window boxes, but we didn't get more since we had to leave early, but that are just so great!


The End! You made it and your still alive!

12 comments:

Denise September 17, 2008 at 6:44 PM  

Cass and Justin, your pictures are BEAUTIFUL. Do you use Photoshop? What kind of camera do you have? We just bought a Nikon D40x and LOVE IT! So, what camera do you have? I feel like I'm in 2nd grade asking you this question...almost as if I should have a sheet of paper saying, "Do you like me, check yes or no."

Anonymous,  September 17, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

BEA-U-TIF-UL!! I love it, really your camera is awesome. I can't wait to see you guys soon.

Remodelaholic September 17, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

Denise -

I have two answers- yes, I like you (check). You are SO much fun!

And as far as the camera I got a Canon Rebel XTi. And for the other half of the pictures just a random little point and shoot. We are just learning how to use them and having a wonderful time. We didn't photoshop much, although I may have removed a blemish, but a lady never tells all her secrets! But seriously I now have the desire to photograph everything! Anything can look good in the right light! I loved your recent trip to that park. Keep in touch!

And Em- Thank you! Thank you so much for letting us come invade your house it is such a blessing!

Corey, Kim, Natalie and Audrey September 17, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

Too cool. Love the pictures...Charleston should pay you to create travel literature with those awesome shots! We miss you guys a lot...let's meet in Charleston for vacation someday!

A Erickson September 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

Wow, that was lengthy! J/K Those are some sweet pics. Love the gardens! I would love to go there someday. Wyoming is the furthest east I've ever been. It's good to see you guys. Jared Erickson.

A Erickson September 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

Wow, that was lengthy! J/K Those are some sweet pics. Love the gardens! I would love to go there someday. Wyoming is the furthest east I've ever been. It's good to see you guys. Jared Erickson.

Deidra September 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

I was clicking around on 28th Ward people's blogs and ended up on yours. I was actually thinking about you guys a while ago, and the little "cook-out" we had at your house before you moved from Logan. I've loved catching up on your blog-- especially checking out all your remodel/updates. Good work! It was great to find you!

Deidra Hartwell (and Chris)

The Arrrrrgalls September 22, 2008 at 12:06 PM  

Those pics were beyond amazing Cass!! I love the fact that we live so close to soooo much history. I am glad that you guys got to do that trip before you left for Texas. I can't wait for Brint to graduate so we can do more trips like that. Love you guys so much, and miss you already (I know you haven't left yet, but the sentiment is still there)!!!!!

Emmy September 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

What great buildings. I love the comment about Southern Lace. It should be called that. I'm glad you got to have an enjoyable vacation.

Jennie September 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM  

wow... so beautiful! thanks for sharing your trip with us! i feel like i was there too!

The Wife of a Fisherman November 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

I just found your blog! I loved looking at the charleston pics. I grew up not too far away and have taken it for granted. It is beautiful to see it through the eyes/camera lens of someone who has just discovered it!!

Laura Lynn November 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

Loved seeing the pictures of South Carolina. We used to live on Hilton Head and miss the beauty of the South!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP