We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Sewing Table Now An Entry Table Remodel

23 November 2010

Sewing Table Now An Entry Table
contributed by Jessica at 
Running With Scissors



There is this little cubby behind our front door and I've been thinking of possible things to go there for a while, which was why I was excited when I found this guy:
Well this was an exciting project for me because it was so inexpensive.
Inside the table was all the hardware to hold a sewing machine, but no machine, which was probably why it was going for only $2.00
So I ripped all of that out and threw it away.


But on the swinging door of the table, there was the thread holding case.
Initially I was planning on taking that out as well, and nailing the door closed for good, but then a better idea popped in my head.

So I took it off, and snagged a cup cabinet handle from Lowes for $1.20 and painted them.
Primed first, then spray painted.
Then I sanded, primed and painted the cabinet and door. 
The paint is an ivory I bought from the OOPS shelf at Home Depot for $1.00
After 2 coats of the semi-gloss ivory paint, it was time to fasten on my hardware.
I measured the center horizontally and vertically.
I measured the distance between the screws on my handle, and drilled the holes.  After drilling the first one, I actually put the handle on the one side and swiveled it level, to check before drilling the second hole.  I had measured a little off, so it was a good thing I checked before.
Then I just screwed on the handle, put the door back on the cabinet along with the thread holder and...
Here she is!
Tucked behind our front door to hold our keys and purses.
I used Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint on the handle.  I really liked the end result with the handle on the door, I thought it did end up looking like a drawer,

but it opens and there go all the keys I'm constantly loosing.
The worst was last weekend after we'd loaded our moving truck and were getting ready to pull out to drive out of state to move, and I'd lost the keys to the car to follow him.  So we had to partially unload the truck to get the spare out of the dresser drawer.  That stunk, I hate loosing keys!

So the total run down:
$2.00 sewing table
$1.00 for 1 qt Oops paint
$1.20 for hardware
TOTAL: $4.20 for this whole table!!
(I already had the spray primer and paint, and the regular primer and sandpaper so I didn't count those)

8 comments:

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic November 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

Beautiful!!! I am looking for a cute sewing table or basket to hold jewelry for my youngest daughter! Your transformation is fantastic!

Ryan K November 23, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

I just stumbled across your blog and love it! What a beautiful entry table you made! LOVE IT! :)

Moe November 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

Holy cannolie! This is such a great project. I can not wait until I move into my new apartment after graduation. No more cookie cutter campus apartment furniture!

Love it!

Jill November 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Oh my God! That's what I need in my entry way!!! And I have the sewing table (granted there's a sewing machine in it, but who's to say that I can't keep it in there when it's a perfectly good table?!). It would be much more accessible to use in the foyer than shoved in the back of a closet! LOVE this!! I could actually do this!

Jenny Lynn November 24, 2010 at 5:43 AM  

Very clever use of the spool holder, for keys! I have a sewing table that has a lamp on it in my living room.

Anonymous,  November 24, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

These cabinets are always in the Habitat ReStore. I love this idea for giving one new life!

Jessica November 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

Thanks for featuring this! We've loved having this, and I see so many sewing tables around lately in thrift stores.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP