We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Where the Future Resides!

04 October 2011


This last weekend I was invited to attend the Solar Decathlon by Plastics make it Possible.  The bad news was that due to scheduling I couldn't make it... But I thought I would tell you about it anyway and some of the cool features that I think you might be able to consider for your homes, since it is kind of like the ultimate in homes shows.

Images Source for all images unless otherwise noted.

I don't know about you, but I love a good parade of homes...  AND this parade happens to be the ultimate in green design and innovation.  To give you a brief explanation of the event.  The decathlon is a contest for collegiate teams to and I quote "Design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive."   On the website linked above they also have tours of the homes, and I am telling you, they are amazing!  


I want to show you a few of my favorite homes:

First Appalachian State University's The Solar Homestead

I just love the look of this home!


They created a home base on the homesteaders of the past.  The home has a large porch, and out buildings,  All connected but also with the easy ability to customize for your particular needs.  I love the open outdoor space.  Especially having lived in the Appalachian mountains, I completely understand the need to use that outdoor space!  They also incorporated some really beautiful design elements.  Including bark siding... I think it is really cool.

One feature that sounds especially interesting to me with kids (that can wake each other up from naps... I know many of you know what I am talking about), is the special soundproofing of the bedroom walls.  They used an insulative rubber/plastic sound barrier.   This feature sounds like a really easy and useful feature that would be very doable for about anyone building a home, or even updating one.

Here is a tour of the home:

Okay, on to the next house I really like, Purdue University's In Home.




The great thing, about this home is it's approachable exterior.  I love the look of modern homes, but many people can't picture themselves living in one.  So this home, which is very traditional in look would be the perfect way to live in a green home, without sticking out.

This home features a plastic rain water collector.  This is something that Justin and I have been wanting to do for a while.  Buy a few used plastic barrels and create a rainwater harvesting station on the side of our home, right near the garden for watering our plants.

And speaking of gardens another features that I especially love the idea of is the vertical indoor "bio wall"  "The plant filtration system retains volatile organic compounds and improves air quality while saving energy at the same time."  I would love the idea of adding one of these to my home, not only to cleans the air but to add some fresh herbs that could be harvested.

There is a video here about how to create a living wall, using these Wolly Pockets which are a smart breathable plastic pocket lined with a recycled bottle plastic coating that creates a moisture tight barrier.  How cool would it be to have a wall of fresh basil and parsley that you could collect while cooking too!  So, while it might be hard to create the bio wall, you could do it in a smaller scale on your own.  And maybe I am just a geek, but I sorta love caring for plants, too.  My mother always has a lot of plants, so I guess that has rubbed off a bit, besides it is fun to watch them grow.



Finally the last house I want to show you is the University of Maryland's Watershed.
They won overall.

 

I really love the look of this house, but I love the idea behind the butterfly wing roofs, of collecting runoff rainwater into a wetland that recycles greywater from the shower, clothes washer and dishwasher into water that can be used in your gardens.  


 images from video

 

This home also has a green roof, that is lined with a plastic membrane.  The green roofs create are insulative and help with runoff issues.  And the home also integrates a garden right off the kitchen.
p.s. Did you see that kitchen, I can't get enough of it, (and it has recycled concrete counter tops just like I have wanted for the last few years...)  



They also use a plastic tumbling compost bin to recycle compostable scraps.  This is something Justin and I have wanted for years!  Right now we have boxes built from recycled fence posts which is frankly barely holding together and has a lot more up keep than it's plastic counterpart.  The tumbling units, can create perfect compost in about 14 days... ours takes at least 6 months.  I really would like to get one for my mom too, because she is a gardening genius, and the compact units make it easy to spin with just a simple crank instead of having to dig it all up by hand just with brute force!

Be sure to check out the video of this house, I love all the smart space savers... SO cool!


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the quick little tour, I am so sad I couldn't go, but I am hoping that I can next year!!

So I have a few question for ya, 
If you could live in a green home like one of these, would you?
What features would you want?
What green home features do you have in your house?
Which of the three is your favorite and why?
And just for my information....
Do any of you have that cool plastic tumbling compost bin?  Do you like it?


Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin. Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME! We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!). We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, (check out house 1 and house 2 as well, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way. We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what going on in our family life.

6 comments:

A Vintage Vine October 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM  

Thanks for sharing...I am a fan of this modern style. I would love to live in a "green home" complete with the composter!

Emily October 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM  

Appalachian State is my school!! We ended up coming in first place for People's Choice award! and place for a few other titles too!! We are all very proud because they put so much time and work into it!

Stephanie October 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM  

Thanks for posting this! I think efficiency and sustainability should be some of the key elements of any dwelling. My parents have a tumbling composter (which I've used many times when I lived there) - it works great! You throw the compost in, close the little sliding door, and give the entire container a spin. Each time it gets mixed so creating compost is no longer a chore. They are also portable which is a great feature. In the summer we put it a little further away from the house (keep the odours away) and in the winter, we bring it in close (no need to walk through a couple feet of snow to get to the composter!).

Mary October 6, 2011 at 7:28 AM  

Wonderful and innovative ideas here, hope someone is working on the cost of the implementation though, solar is so expensive and the pay back is a long way out unless there are state and federal tax credits available.

We live on 5 acres so our compost is in a pile behind an out building. When we move to a smaller property we might look into a bin type composter, for the neighbor's sake.

Unknown October 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM  

It's a shame that you weren't able go. I went with the group and we had a blast! It was freezing and wet though. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you too!
http://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/2011/10/if-this-is-solar-competition-wheres-sun.html

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP