We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Suitcase Refinished with Chalkboard Paint

24 August 2011

Suitcase Refinished with Chalkboard Paint



I'm very excited about this post! It features one of my favorite makeovers to date and trashy treasure. Seriously. Found him/her (I'm not sure yet) next to the trash cans outside my apartment building. Score.

First up- this vintage suitcase I found at the local antique shop.

DSC_4829

DSC_4830

It was nice as is and I did like the color but there were some imperfections that bothered me.  I bought some chalkboard paint a while ago with nothing particular in mind. This seemed like the perfect first project.
I primed it first with some gray spray primer.

DSC_4831
Then I gave it a couple coats of chalkboard paint, making sure to let it dry the full four hours in between coats.

DSC_4835

The worst part about chalkboard paint, you ask? WAITING THREE DAYS TO WRITE ON IT. THREE DAYS! I like instant gratification. Thankfully I didn't have chalk or I would have drawn on it the next morning haha.  Here it is (atop my curbside find) patiently waiting to be drawn on.

DSC_4848

I actually liked it like this. I love the matte finish. But I was itching to put some chalk on it.

Finally, I was able to "season it." This is super important. You have to rub chalk all over it and rub it in before you write on it. If you don't, what ever you write will be burned into the surface. And we don't want that!

DSC_4854

Ok. I've kept you waiting long enough! 


The quote is a lyric from one of my favorite songs ever, "Trapeze Swinger" by Iron & Wine.

Here's a full shot of my curbside find. It's solid and in pretty good shape. I wouldn't be surprised if it came from one of the graduating seniors haha. I have no shame.

DSC_4859

I'm excited to work on it when I get the time. I may even keep it for my own place.

DSC_4861

So, what do you think? I think I might use it as a prop for some senior pictures I'll be taking soon. I'm in love!



This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!



Pin It

6 comments:

Unknown August 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM  

I love this! I just bought a bunch of old suitcases off of Craigslist. I made a chair out of one them you can check it out on my blog. I have been looking for ideas for the others, might have to do this!
Thanks for sharing!
Kim
kimberlyannblog.blogspot.com

Erin August 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Unique idea! Lots of chalkboard paint going around these days, but this is the first time I've seen it on a suitcase. Nicely done, Ashleigh! :)

Stacey August 24, 2011 at 6:20 PM  

Looks JUST like the suitcase I found at a yard sale! Same color and name and everything! Funny! I used spray paint on mine as well as ribbon - see what I did here:
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com/2011/08/vintage-suitcase-makeover.html
Stacey of Embracing Change

Stacy CUrran August 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

That is the first suitcase I've seen done in chalk paint. i never would have thought of it, but it came out great! Boy, that is some amazing paint!
Stacy

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP