We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

A Fabulous Kitchen Restoration Reveal!

02 August 2011

Fabulous Kitchen Renovation, A while in the making!

I'll start with a couple of before photos.  The first is looking into the kitchen from the lounge/dining room with me sitting at our temporary make shift island bench flipping through a magazine as I do!  There is also a closer view with Hubby caught out in his pj's! (He, he, he!!)




So the first job was to remove the shelving above the sink which I have since painted white and re-hung in my sons room (that story to come..).    Next was to tackle the floor and I don't think we knew how bad it was going to be........

Underneath we discovered this black thick and dried glue!  We tried sanding, we tried kerosene, we tried paint stripper....  It was an extremely slow and tiring task which seemed to take hours with only a small area exposed.



I know it sounds brutal and probably very dangerous but the one thing that did the trick with far less grief was .....  wait for it.....  a blow torch!!!!!  Scary stuff but hey it did the job beautifully!!!

Wow, look it is magic! The floors are being prep'd for sanding and the cupboards have magically turned white!!!  Thank you to Lisa for her fantastic paint job!


Notice the tiles above the sink with their embossed picture.  We thought we would be replacing those but Ben talked me into just trying the tile paint that is now available.  I must admit I was very skeptical but the result has been great!  I actually quite like the embossed look and we will now do the tiles behind the oven alcove as well...


Now that job was done, it was time to replace my (oh so handy and really did the job) makeshift island bench with a real one.  After doing the ring and run around, I discovered that many kitchen companies are not interested in just building you an island bench!!!  They want the whole deal...  

So, I gave up on the ridiculous quote of $7,000 just for an island bench and went with Ben's idea of doing it himself using IKEA draws/cupboards and a bit of chippy work!!!  Again my skepticism kicked in and we had many a 'discussion' over it but I have to give him absolute full credit!  He did it and I love it!!!!  Especially with my Le Forge stools.  The final cost of our home job was approximately $2,000 ($400 for draws, $400 for materials - framing timber etc and $1,000 for Caesar stone bench top and $200 for electrical - I have power points on both sides) Thank you Lovey xxx

Just need to add the last door and put in the kick board....





Final Kitchen Images:






This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniturespray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!


If you liked post please check out these past kitchen renovation features:

16 comments:

The OutPost August 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

I just love it. OMG what a difference with the white paint. I am in the middle of a remodel of my whole house and I just love looking at this type of blog. It gives me inspiration and the incentive to go on. We are on Week 11. I would love to know how you did the Island. I have a dilema with mine. http://theoutpost-jackied.blogspot.com/

banclothing August 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

Can't say enough about the original built in glass china cabinet. Beautiful traditional detail and I think it is so lovely painted white. A wonderful transformation keeping with the feel of the home.

Anonymous,  August 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

How pretty, although, I kinda liked that aqua color on the before cabinets! :) They did a wonderful job and the kitchen is so pretty.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

The enchanted home August 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

Holy Moly! I cannot believe its the same kitchen..amazing. Love it, its stunning, thanks for sharing.

Unknown August 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

Unbelieveable what a bit of hard work, paint, thriftiness and vision can do for one room! Fabulous - I bet a lot of people would have just thought they needed to rip the whole thing out and start over! Looks amazing! We are in the midst of doing our own 'cheap and cheerful' kitchen remodel, hope the end result looks half this good :)

brismod August 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM  

It really does look sensational Jenny. And those floors came up so well. xx

Sarah B August 2, 2011 at 4:42 PM  

It looks fabulous! Who needs a joiner when you can make an island bench that looks that good?! Great job!
:)

Nancy @ dream it ... build it...style it! August 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM  

Ok... those FLOORS and CHINA CABINET are STUNNING! SO happy this wasn't gutted- it's so beautiful.

Jennifer August 5, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

Wow! I love your refurbished wooden floor and the wonderful built-in glass door pantry/cabinet.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP