We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Pottery Barn Knock Off Lantern Made from Picture Frames!!

11 July 2011

Pottery Barn Knock Off Lantern Made from Picture Frames!!



Hello!  I am Kari from the Sunset Lane.  I am so excited and flattered to be writing a guest post for Cassity!!  I thought I would die when she asked!  The Sunset Lane is a blog about making life beautiful without emptying your bank account.  I see anything and everything in magazines, on Pinerest, random things I google, anywhere really and make a knock off version for pennies compared to the retail cost.  

Pottery Barn is my main source of knock-offery (yes, I made that word up!).  I have imitated quite a few of their items.  Like the Pottery Barn Bellora Chandeliers I DIY'd, the Belgium Train Signs, the numbered art, or the monogrammed mugs.  I love their things, but not their prices.   

After dealing with my less than appealing (okay downright f-ugly) light in our master bedroom.  My latest DIY Pottery Barn adventure was to create one of these:


Pottery Barn Gothic Lantern
Pottery Barn Blacksmith Taper Lantern

I had been plotting it for a while when the idea came to me on the toilet.  I was going, but rather giving my baby a bath when a picture frame fell on the back of my head breaking the glass....for the millionth time.  I was staring at it and came up with this :)  

How to make one for yourself!
Step 1: Have a picture frame fall on your head Collect 4 matching picture frames.  Mine were 8x10 frames, you can choose smaller or larger-the lantern police won't arrest you for not following directions!
Can you guess which one broke?!? :)

Step 2: Collect your supplies. I used hot glue, gorilla glue, a speed square, needle nose pliers, and painters tape!



Apparently I didn't picture all my supplies-ADD kicking in!


Step 3: Remove all the glass and "guts" of the picture frame and the little metal tabs that hold it all in. (Please note: if you plan to leave the glass in the lantern, you should leave the little tabs in-but I didn't think about that before I removed all mine!) You could always glue the glass in, but this may be messy if you accidentally break one.




Step 4: Use your speed square or other 90 degree angle tool to keep it square and put on the Gorilla Glue, then quickly shoot some hot glue on the ends, just to keep it in place.  I'm sure there is an easier way, but I try to look for the hardest way possible and do it that way.  I usually open packages and then find the easy 'pull here to open it' spot!

Sorry it's blurry!

Step 5:  Repeat step 4 until it looks something like this



Step 6: Tape around the sides with painters tape to keep it together while the glue dries.  When all sides are done, you should have something like this.

Yes, that's the grout stirring paddle in the background!


Step 7: Find some light source to donate it's guts to your new lantern!  I picked this one up from H4H for $5.

Step 8: After I took the H4H light apart I attached eyelet screws on the corners of my frame cube and ran chain I had from a previous project (like 3 years ago) from the eyelet screw to the ring on the top of the H4H light.  Spray painted it all black and install. 


Here is the light that was there before: GAG!!


 


And Now:











 Thank you again to Remodelaholic for letting me guest post!!

-Make your life beautiful!





6 comments:

we three dogs and me July 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM  

I really like the idea I must try it. I have one I made from a candle stand check it out. I am attempting to make one from the inside basket of a canning pot and old fixture of a lamp that held the shade. Haven't decided how to finish it. these are not electric .

Kari July 11, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

OMG!! I am so thankful you posted my PB Lantern! However, I was typing this for Remodelaholic with a 10 month old on my lap. Please note that I was not in fact going when I was on the toilet!! I was giving my baby a bath. I about died when I read the post above and had typed the I was on the toilet going.... Gotta love that spell check didn't catch a momentary laps in sanity!!

Thanks again!
Kari @ the Sunset Lane

stephaniegiese July 12, 2011 at 6:47 AM  

That is seriously the best thing I have seen in blogland in a really long time! I don't have any extra picture frames lying around, but I do have a garage full of extra 1x2 furring strips that I bet would work just as well. This is genius, pure and simple.

Unknown July 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM  

great job. know what's funny? the fixture you took the "guts" out of? I swear it was one I dropped off at the DI in Utah a few years back :)

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP