We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Hutch Makeover Part 1

20 July 2011

A while back, when contemplating how to possibly earn an extra buck to pay off pesky student loans (urgh)... I thought well maybe we should refinish furniture(there are a lot of people doing a great job with this).  So, I went to consult my buddy Craig S. List.  I had just had some great luck selling an entertainment center so I bought another for cheap to redo, while picking it up I noticed that they also had a hutch.  I have wanted one for a while, so for two Andrew Jacksons I secured that deal, not a fabulous steal but not bad (that's 40 buck in case you are wondering...).

I was thinking I would refinish this too and sell it, but then I put it into my house and realized, I have a dish addiction, and you thought I was only a Remodelaholic.  But you guessed it, soon the hutch was mine, it was darn ugly a little stinky but all mine!

Besides, I realized, I am not fast when it comes to furniture makeovers, and it is not worth it for me to part with a piece that has taken so many consecutive naps times to finish!  I would be charging a thousand smackaroos for an end table...

Back to the point of this post.  Here is the hutch before:

Tt totally reeked inside so I had dryer sheets in there and bowls of baking soda, it didn't work, we also got away with out the shelves, so I was trying to visualize stuff in there by using my dinner plates between the supports!


(no quite finished) After:


You may have noticed there is an extreme difference between the top and the bottom image.  Mainly the base is completely different.  I will show you what, and how we did this soon!

p.s. It isn't quite done, we still plan on adding 3 drawers... but we will see when we get there!  
For now it is a perfect place for a nap... a cat nap that is.



 My sweet dorky furball children!

TO BE CONTINUED!
Getting the hutch painted and the final reveal!

Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin. Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME! We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!). We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, (check out house 1 and house 2 as well, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way. We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what going on in our family life.

21 comments:

Cassie Bustamante July 20, 2011 at 7:04 AM  

it doesn't even look like the same piece.... it is so darn pretty! love the inside of the glass cabinet- that is gorgeous!

Craftcherry July 20, 2011 at 7:07 AM  

Turned out beautifully! I don't know if I could put drawers in. Those kitties look so cute and happy!

Jester July 20, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

Wow that came out beautiful! I especially like had your did the bottom, can't wait to see how

Kathy July 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

Love the color and bottom section!! You guys are doing a great job!

Anna@Directions Not Included July 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM  

It is looking great! And of course the cats thought it was the perfect napping place. Mine always pick the most random spots as well.

Paige @ Little Nostalgia July 20, 2011 at 8:59 AM  

It looks amazing! Too bad you don't feel like your turnaround time is quick enough, because you do a great job! Maybe try something that only needs a quick touch-up and see how it goes?

Catherine July 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

wow, i love craigslist finds. it looks stunning and fits the room perfectly. i can't wait to see more!

Stacy July 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM  

I can't wait to see what you did to the bottom half of the hutch. Coincidentally, I also have a hutch that I purchased from Craig S. List for $40 that looks strikingly similar to yours.

You can't see it great in this picture but here's a link: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ze4DBs5eHm8/Tbj9Mp3I2qI/AAAAAAAAAek/XHpeb8xv0WM/s1600/DSC00835.JPG)

I've actually been using it to house homeschooling supplies in the dining room, but have great plans for it. This was just the inspiration I needed!

laxsupermom July 20, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

Amazing transformation! It looks brand new! Love the kitty cat hidey holes - they'll be so mad when there's drawers there. Thanks for sharing.

Ms. Bake-it July 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

I had to laugh when I saw the cats inside the hutch. Mine are like that too. Your black cat looks like my Diego. Great makeover! I cannot wait to see how you did it.

~ Tracy

Tanya Anurag July 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM  

It's good to see what white furniture can do to a room. It adds so much of brightness and life. Great job done!!

Wendy July 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM  

I love how your cats have claimed part of the remodel as their own! Love it! Can't wait to catch the post on how you changed the doors. I am in the search of a piece to go on a blank wall in my kitchen (it is like they forgot to put something there) anyway, I am in dire need of space in my kitchen! I have things stuck in bathroom cabinets, bedroom closets. I have no room. Anyway, I keep digressing, I keep finding items I think would work, but I'm not sure how to change them up, this is inspiring! Thank you!!

Unknown July 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

You can often remove musty, damp, smelly odors from wood furniture and old suitcases using newspaper. Clean the piece first, then cabinets and drawers with crumpled newspaper. Close the doors and let it sit for several days to a week. If a bit of odor remains, replace the newspaper with fresh and let it sit again. I've done this to several pieces of thrifted furniture, and it works like a charm. The odor doesn't return, AND you can simply recycle the newspaper!

MissPrissyville July 22, 2011 at 3:31 AM  

Love it. I'm looking for one to replace what I'm currently using for dining room storage. I hope to get it to turn out as nice, clean and fresh as yours! Very nice.

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP