We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Blue-Velvet Cupcakes Recipe Link Party

10 July 2011

The other day I got to throw a baby shower for my good friend Dorothy.  She is having a little boy in about a  month, so I wanted to make the food fun for a boy.  I searched for ideas on Pinterest, since it is SO easy to find great ideas there.  That is where I found the idea of Blue Velvet Cakes for a boys shower...  I knew it must be done from that point on.

Here is the image that inspired me found on One Particular Kitchen
You can check out her recipe there, (since I used my favorite red velvet recipe below)



I used a recipe that I found in my Feb 2008 BHG magazine that I love.
 Oof course, if you know me, then you know the recipe is slightly altered:

Blue (Red) Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 28 servings

3 eggs 
3/4 cup butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
.75 oz Blue Food Coloring (or for red: 1 1-oz. bottle red food coloring -approx 2 Tbsp )
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. vinegar

Directions
1.Let eggs and butter stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 2-1/2-inch cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
2.In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and 3/4 tsp. salt; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. One at a time, add eggs; beat on medium after each. Beat in food coloring on low.
3.Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture; beat on low to medium sped after each just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter; beat just until combined.
4.Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Top with small chocolate cookies, if desired. Dust with powdered sugar.

Buttercream Frosting
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
1 1/2 c softened butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
In a medium saucepan whisk together milk, flour and salt over medium heat.  (do this slowly you don't want it to scald).  Cook and stir constantly until thickened and bubbly.  Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.  Transfer to a small bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until cooled (do not stir).

In a large bowl (I used my kitchen aid) beat butter, sugar and vanilla on medium for about 5 minutes until it is  light, fluffy and the sugar is almost dissolved.  Now add cooled milk mixture 1/4 cup at a time, beat on low after each addition until smooth.  Now frost your cupcakes!  YUMMY!

I sprinkled mine with blue sugar crystals too!

And if you want the popcorn cover here it is.   
(I bought the boxes at Walmart in the party section, and pasted the print out on it)

Check out these other great dessert recipes:

Party Rules:
Please grab a button for your linked blog post 
Please become a public follower of Remodelaholic!

Remodelaholic



** ALSO - I would be really thankful if when you try a recipe, you’d please link to my post for the recipe.  That way people can find and join our party, and we will all benefit from some extra traffic love!   If the recipe is a guest feature, please link to the original author's blog post that is hyper linked at the top of the page!

Thank you!

Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what going on in our family life.  

10 comments:

Natasha in Oz July 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM  

Thanks so much for sharing that gorgeous recipe. How gorgeous is that colour!?

Thanks also for having me today!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

laxsupermom July 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM  

Your cupcakes turned out so pretty! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this recipe swap each week.

Erin F. July 10, 2011 at 9:40 AM  

Those cupcakes are adorable! I would have never thought to make red velvet blue. Very creative :)

Erin @ www.artfoodlifeblog.com

Brian + Cheryl B. July 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Hi Cassity :->
Those blue velvet cupcakes are wonderful! I am suppose to again make the Cookie Monster(R) cupcakes that I made for our grand daughter's 2nd birthday in a couple of months. I think that this time I shall make the cupcake part blue as well ;->

(If your interested, you can see my cupcakes here --> http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com/2011/06/analyses-2nd-birthday-part-2-cookie.html )

Patricia @ ButterYum July 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

Oh my - that pic from One Particular Kitchen is amazing!! What a great idea for a baby shower!

:)
ButterYum

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com July 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM  

Great party! I have made several new friends and built a whole grocery list for recipes I cannot wait to try this week.

Alexandra July 11, 2011 at 5:31 AM  

Love the blue velvets cupcakes. Please share your recipe by linking it at Muffin and Cupcake Monday. Thanks and thanks for hosting!

http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-whole-wheat-muffins

Unknown July 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM  

I definitely need to make those blue velvet cupcakes! Great recipe, thanks for sharing!!

Kat's Purrfect Boutique July 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

I had to leave a comment with the original person to create the cupcakes. I asked her if I could post it for Chanukkah. I'm not Jewish but a lot of people in our area are. I think it would be perfect for the blog. Thanks for sharing. By the way, isn't there a song called Blue Velvet?

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP