We’ve Moved!

 

If you aren’t redirected here is the link:

 

Remodelaholic!

 

THANKS!

Powder Room Transformation!

09 June 2011

Powder Room Transformation! by Carrie

Hello fellow Remodelaholics!
This is Carrie from Hazardous Design. Don't let the name of my blog scare you! The house my husband and I moved into about nine months ago is located on Hazard Ave. It was built in the late 1800's and needed a bit of TLC. Hazardous Design is a documentation of our renovation.

I was very excited when Cassity invited me to share the highlights of our recent powder room remodel and how it went from looking like this:

to this!
It is a bit of an improvement, no?

It all started back in December when my husband, Chris, began tearing apart the old bathroom,
and framed up a new wall to hide the plumbing stack in the corner.
Since we were going through all this trouble, we decided to reorient the bathroom sink and move it against the new wall instead of where it had been under the window. This meant we could have a bigger sink and wire for sconces. So next, we called in our electrician to do the rough wiring.
And then the plumber to install the pipes for the new sink location.
With that done, we could finally hang the wallboard.
Finally we got to the exciting stage of the project (at least for me!), where all of the decorative elements started to come together. We opted for wide plank vinyl beadboard hung 4ft high,
and to use several different sizes of white carrera marble tile.  Chris laid them in a mosaic pattern.
After painting the ceiling blue to match the wallpaper, he installed crown molding. It makes the tiny room look so elegant!
We called plumber back to install the toilet, sink, and radiator, and then asked the wallpaper hanger to come and work his magic.
You can imagine how excited we were at this point. The only thing left to do was install the sconces and overhead lighting!
So finally, after about six months of living with construction debris, dust, materials and tools in my kitchen, we have a completed powder room that looks like this:
 The mirror was an antique mall find. It was originally gold, so I spray painted it black.


If you are curious about what else we might be working on on Hazard Ave, please stop by and visit us at Hazardous Design!


26 comments:

Belinda June 9, 2011 at 7:24 AM  

Oh My!! That is just beautiful! What a wonderful transformation! Love that wallpaper too!

The enchanted home June 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM  

One of the prettiest powder rooms I have seen in a long time!! LOVE it...the colors are just so beautiful..love your wallpaper, sink,mirror choices everything!
OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!!!!!
Navy and white is so rich and elegant..totally timeless.

Jacqueline June 9, 2011 at 8:09 AM  

Absolutely gorgeous and love the wallpaper! I must ask were did you find it?

Luciane at HomeBunch.com June 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM  

Carrie is simply amazing! I admire her so much, I simply could not do something like this! fabulous!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} June 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM  

Carrie is so perfectly at home here (c: This is such a fabulous makeover, I don't even know where to start! The fantabulous wallpaper, the gorgeous mirror, the awesome pendant light...I'm pretty sure I'm in love with it all!

Amy June 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

Whoops, I looked on her blog, there was more work (DIY) that went into it than was shown here, previous statement retracted ;).

Remodelaholic June 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

** Just something to think about- with two very young children, I understand the absolute worth of having professional help come in and do part of projects, for example the plumber and electrician.

They usually can do the work 10 times faster then you can and do it right the first time. (that doesn't mean we don't do a lot of stuff ourselves... but if time is tight, or you don't know how to do everything, enlisting a few professionals, may be a money saver in the long run)

This project is a GREAT example of getting help were it counts and doing the rest yourself. Also it does show what was done in order and the process of thoughts, which is half the battle when figuring out where to start.

Finally, if you are an avid DIY-er then you can definitely gleen the inspiration, and direction from what they did then just jump in and try it yourself. Hope that makes sense, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous,  June 9, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

Beautiful transformation! But I have to ask, why the black cover on the toilet lid? That is the one thing that distracts me from what is otherwise a beautiful room.

Megan@HomeSweetLilacDrive June 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM  

I love this powder room! The light fixture is to die for and the wallpaper! Just WOW. I am so afraid to use wallpaper after having to remove it but you have given me new inspiration...fabulous!

Megan@ homesweetlilacdrive.blogspot.com

Rita's Recipes June 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM  

That is amazing! I love the bold wallpaper and the white beadboard and the crystal sconces and the molding and.....

Erika June 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM  

Wow, that's amazing!
Visiting from the Alexa hop! I'm a new follower & would love if you could visit/follow me too! Thanks! Have a great day!

Musings From a SAHM

Unknown June 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

Carrie, I honestly can't believe the transformation! You and Chris are truly talented! I adore the wallpaper and the sink you used! Going in the inspiration folder!

Camille June 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM  

I will never tire of seeing this powder room. I think it is in my top three favorites!
Camille

Carrie @ Hazardous Design June 9, 2011 at 8:01 PM  

Thanks for such sweet comments everyone!
Just wanted to take the time to respond to questions. I think Cassity hit the nail on the head in saying that sometimes you need to pick and choose when DIY is appropriate and when it isn't. If we hadn't relied on the help and expertise of certain professionals, our powder room would still be weeks (maybe months) away from completion. You have to pick your priorities, and for us, it was important to finish this project up so that we could move on to the next one. And trust me...we have a lot of other projects to get to!
As for the black toilet seat, I agree, it looks kind of out of place in the pictures. I can assure you, however, it works well in the room with the black mirror and the black in the wallpaper. It is an element that keeps the room from looking too sweet or prissy.
Thank you, Cassity for the opportunity to guest post. It has been such an exciting day :)

Susan W. June 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

Hello...visiting from Alexa Hop...following along via Google Reader. Remodeling - hate the work involved..but LOVE the results. Great Job! Have a great weekend! Sue- www.fingerclicksaver.com

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating June 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

Carrie, I love everything about your bathroom, from the retro sink to the wallpaper to the beadboard to the pendant light. I am in love with Carrara, and your floor is to die for. The way you mixed up the tiles reminds me of Candice Olson.

Tanya Anurag July 21, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

I loved the color, print and use of wall paper. Makes the room look so beautiful. Great job done!!

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking your time to tell me what you think! I read them all and enjoy your enthusiasm for the work shown here!

Please remember that people have worked hard on these projects. Each person's budget and goals are different, so please try to make kind, constructive comments. Remember if it isn't nice, please don't say anything at all.

Please no business links. Remodelaholic reserves the right to remove any comment that we feel is malicious, spammy or otherwise inappropriate. Thanks.

Sorry there is no longer the option for anonymous comments, unfortunately people have been abusing that option!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Emealz - Easy Meals for Busy People!
Home & Garden Blogs Home & Garden Blogs - Blog Rankings

Blogging  tips, tutorials and SEO

From Here to Eternity

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP